Preview The Return of Mr Barlow... Suns -v- Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
I was so excited when this fixture was announced. It would be the return of our great talismanic hero Mr Barlow. I even had a detailed post worked up called "The Return of Mr Barlow". Not that Mr Barlow
TheMasterKurtBarlow1979.jpg

but this Mr Barlow
298696_gp.jpg

Then, disaster struck. History repeated. The sky fell in. A great chill went down everyone's spine, just like hearing the snap of a twig stomped on by a wild boar resonate across an empty, cold, foggy, windswept and distant forest.
(But wait, if there is a boar and a twig, how can the forest be empty??)
Grown men cried (including me). All my careful planning to come over on a pilgrimage to see the great man was derailed in an instant.

So, weeks later, and after many mournful sighs, I have to turn to a Barlow-free preview.

Inspired by the form shown by the new generation, I was excited to see our new ruckman, and watch our ever improving young brigade test their skills against a strong midfield, featuring one of the greatest footballers to play the modern game. So I started developing an up beat preview around "Renewal and Revival".

And then selections are announced tonight, and I find myself with the joy of previewing Jon Griffin and Danyle Pearce returning to the purple power is now my task. Yay. Allright, so I'm a bit bummed. But, what about the two teams?

Well, both clubs:
  • won't make finals;
  • feature experienced head coaches with finals success but who have never won grand finals coming under growing pressure as they try to manage list rebuilds;
  • have been dominated by media talk of their best player leaving the club; and
  • have been hit by injuries.
Looking back, the Suns do remind me a bit of some aspects of early Freo. Both clubs started out their AFL histories with poor coaches. They both had early periods of questionable professionalism in both administration and team culture. Both started out playing at cruddy grounds - but have just moved to new, high quality training facilities.

Seeing some parallels?

Add to that the two most forgettable mascots in the AFL -
Sunny Ray
sunny_ray_2__Custom_.jpg
and Johnny Doc
iq7vgNQ.jpg
apparently live in Mascot Manor with all the rest of the AFL mascot crew - and seem to spend more on hair dye and gym memberships than all the other mascots combined...
And both teams have four letter nicknames!! Amazing, right??!!?!

Comparisons
Well, based on the selected teams, we are shorter, fatter, older and slightly more experienced than them. Kind of like the slightly older contestant on the dating show... Both teams have picked 9 players with under 50 games, but we have two more players with 150 games or more of experience. Thank you Suban and D Pearce for skewing the stats.
upload_2017-8-4_0-19-3.png

There is plenty of WA talent in the Suns squad, with Steven May, David Swallow and Jack Martin all playing this weekend. We have Lach Weller, who officially was recruited from Southport (even though he is originally from Tassie).

Player most like each other - Brad Hill -v- Aaron Hall
Both are pacy, aggressive and have been under the radar for a few years. Both love the bounce, and also cover huge meters almost every game.

Most intriguing players for this game
Suns
- Much hype all season has been focused (and rightly so) on the efforts of Jarrod Witts in the ruck. However, in the offseason, many rated Dan Currie as the best recruit the Suns had brought in for the ruck. Now he finally gets to play in 2017, and against a team with a single, less mobile and more worn down ruckman. Will he be as dominant as expected?
Freo - Sutcliffe - will he revert to type? Or have we got a decent midfielder who has been able to discover a new lease on AFL life? Oh and D Pearce - how many times will he be the subject of BF rants in the gameday thread??

Tactical focus
The Suns are equal best in the comp at centre clearances. The Dockers are second best in the comp at shutting down other teams centre clearances.

The Suns drop to 15th in stoppage clearances. If Sandi or Darcy had been playing, this could have been a real area for us to focus on, with the aim being to restrict their centre clearances and use stoppages to drive effective possessions. Without the big rucks, we will need to keep the pressure on at centre bounces, and try to shark Currie's taps at stoppages around the ground.

As well as being very good at centre clearances, the Suns are #1 in the comp in bounces - so look for plenty of effort from them to spread the ball and take long runs across the expanses of Subi. This tactic of retaining possession and bouncing was also used by Rocket Eade at the Bulldogs. It aims to open up space for repeat leads from the forwards, and can be really effective at Subi if the backs don't have the discipline to stay back and clog the holes.

The Suns average over 250 uncontested possessions per game, whereas we only just get over 230 per game. If we let them ease into their flowing chains of uncontested possessions, we won't do well. These are the two worst tackling teams in the league, averaging just on 63 tackles per game. My bet is the team that tackles best wins this one...

Predictions
First goal

Freo - H Ballantyne
Suns - J Martin
Most possessions
Freo - Neale
Suns - Ablett
Most Tackles
Freo - Suban
Suns - D Swallow
Most turnovers
Freo - D Pearce
Suns - GAJ
Result: Suns by 35 points.

So, get along to the game folks. Hopefully Micky is over there on the sidelines - if so tell him he is a legend (even though the leg end the season).
Savour the return of Dean Solomon and Ash Prescott to Subi, and enjoy the great GAj running around on Subi one last time. Gaze in awe at Tom Lynch, Two metre Peter and the amazing talent that is Jack Martin. And see if you can get me a snap of those two mascots together!

Last edited:

I was so excited when this fixture was announced. It would be the return of our great talismanic hero Mr Barlow. I even had a detailed post worked up called "The Return of Mr Barlow". Not that Mr Barlow

but this Mr Barlow
298696_gp.jpg

Then, disaster struck. History repeated. The sky fell in. A great chill went down everyone's spine, just like hearing the snap of a twig stomped on by a wild boar resonate across an empty, cold, foggy, windswept and distant forest.
Grown men cried (including me). All my careful planning to come over on a pilgrimage to see the great man was derailed in an instant.

So, weeks later, and after many mournful sighs, I have to turn to a Barlow-free preview.

Inspired by the form shown by the new generation, I was excited to see our new ruckman, and watch our ever improving young brigade test their skills against a strong midfield, featuring one of the greatest footballers to play the modern game. So I started developing an up beat preview around "Renewal and Revival".

And then selections are announced tonight, and I find myself with the joy of previewing Jon Griffin and Danyle Pearce returning to the purple power is now my task. Yay. Allright, so I'm a bit bummed. But, what about the two teams?

Well, both clubs:
  • won't make finals;
  • feature experienced head coaches with finals success but who have never won grand finals coming under growing pressure as they try to manage list rebuilds;
Looking back, the Suns do remind me a bit of some aspects of early Freo. Both clubs started out their AFL histories with poor coaches. They both had early periods of questionable professionalism in both administration and team culture. Both started out playing at cruddy grounds - but have just moved to new, high quality training facilities.

Seeing some parallels?

Sunny Ray
sunny_ray_2__Custom_.jpg
and Johnny Doc
iq7vgNQ.jpg
apparently live in Mascot Manor with all the rest of the AFL mascot crew - and seem to spend more on hair dye and gym memberships than all the other mascots combined...

Comparisons
Well, based on the selected teams, we are shorter, fatter, older and slightly more experienced than them. Kind of like the slightly older contestant on the dating show... Both teams have picked 9 players with under 50 games, but we have two more players with 150 games or more of experience. Thank you Suban and D Pearce for skewing the stats.
View attachment 399348

There is plenty of WA talent in the Suns squad, with Steven May, David Swallow and Jack Martin all playing this weekend. We have Lach Weller, who officially was recruited from Southport (even though he is originally from Tassie).

Both are pacy, aggressive and have been under the radar for a few years. Both love the bounce, and also cover huge meters almost every game.

Suns
- Much hype all season has been focused (and rightly so) on the efforts of Jarrod Witts in the ruck. However, in the offseason, many rated Dan Currie as the best recruit the Suns had brought in for the ruck. Now he finally gets to play in 2017, and against a team with a single, less mobile and more worn down ruckman. Will he be as dominant as expected?
Freo - Sutcliffe - will he revert to type? Or have we got a decent midfielder who has been able to discover a new lease on AFL life? Oh and D Pearce - how many times will he be the subject of BF rants in the gameday thread??

Tactical focus
The Suns are equal best in the comp at centre clearances. The Dockers are second best in the comp at shutting down other teams centre clearances.

The Suns drop to 15th in stoppage clearances. If Sandi or Darcy had been playing, this could have been a real area for us to focus on, with the aim being to restrict their centre clearances and use stoppages to drive effective possessions. Without the big rucks, we will need to keep the pressure on at centre bounces, and try to shark Currie's taps at stoppages around the ground.

As well as being very good at centre clearances, the Suns are #1 in the comp in bounces - so look for plenty of effort from them to spread the ball and take long runs across the expanses of Subi. This tactic of retaining possession and bouncing was also used by Rocket Eade at the Bulldogs. It aims to open up space for repeat leads from the forwards, and can be really effective at Subi if the backs don't have the discipline to stay back and clog the holes.

The Suns average over 250 uncontested possessions per game, whereas we only just get over 230 per game. If we let them ease into their flowing chains of uncontested possessions, we won't do well. These are the two worst tackling teams in the league, averaging just on 63 tackles per game. My bet is the team that tackles best wins this one...

Predictions
First goal

Freo - H Ballantyne
Suns - J Martin
Most possessions
Freo - Neale
Suns - Ablett
Most Tackles
Freo - Suban
Suns - D Swallow
Most turnovers
Freo - D Pearce
Suns - GAJ

So, get along to the game folks. Hopefully Micky is over there on the sidelines - if so tell him he is a legend (even though the leg end the season).
Savour the return of Dean Solomon and Ash Prescott to Subi, and enjoy the great GAj running around on Subi one last time. Gaze in awe at Tom Lynch, Two metre Peter and the amazing talent that is Jack Martin. And see if you can get me a snap of those two mascots together!

Wow awesome summation BeinPurplenGreen hoping for an entertaining game but the Suns have been horrible for the last 6 weeks. I can't see us beating you especially at home.

All the best for the rest of the year and keep your grubby hands off Matera ;)

but this Mr Barlow
298696_gp.jpg

Well, both clubs:
  • won't make finals;

Seeing some parallels?

Sunny Ray
sunny_ray_2__Custom_.jpg
and Johnny Doc
iq7vgNQ.jpg

Comparisons
View attachment 399348

Suns

Tactical focus

Predictions
First goal

Freo - H Ballantyne
Suns - J Martin
Most possessions
Freo - Neale
Suns - Ablett
Most Tackles
Freo - Suban
Suns - D Swallow
Most turnovers
Freo - D Pearce
Suns - GAJ

Excellent preview, stark difference to those tiger flogs we had to deal with last week (thanks for beating them after the siren btw) hopefully we can see Bennell and Barlow running around in one of these encounters soon.

Great preview.

Hope we win, even though it's an 8 point-game barrel race to a higher draft pick.

We've shown a bit away the last month or so and need to go into seasons end with some confidence after one or two more convincing wins.

Freo by 28 points.

Great preview.

Hope we win, even though it's an 8 point-game barrel race to a higher draft pick.

We've shown a bit away the last month or so and need to go into seasons end with some confidence after one or two more convincing wins.

Freo by 28 points.
I think we win as long as Lynch doesn't get a hold of us which of course he has multiple times before. If we bring it, we have them covered at Subi I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the error about Steven May, he is listed as recruited from South Freo, I forgot he was from Katherine originally.

Bonus points for anyone who can identify which 1970s character is the first picture in the post, and triple bonus points if you can also name the novel, author, and his human form's name...

Quadruple bonuses for first post that picks the best theme song for us this week, given we are the shortest, fatest, oldest and just a little more experienced one in this tango?? Country and western, or Nick Cave classic??

but this Mr Barlow
298696_gp.jpg

Well, both clubs:
  • won't make finals;

Seeing some parallels?

Sunny Ray
sunny_ray_2__Custom_.jpg
and Johnny Doc
iq7vgNQ.jpg

Comparisons
View attachment 399348

Suns

Tactical focus

Predictions
First goal

Freo - H Ballantyne
Suns - J Martin
Most possessions
Freo - Neale
Suns - Ablett
Most Tackles
Freo - Suban
Suns - D Swallow
Most turnovers
Freo - D Pearce
Suns - GAJ

Bit harsh calling Neesham a poor coach.

He does have a premiership or four under his belt.

Bit harsh calling Neesham a poor coach.

He does have a premiership or four under his belt.
When did Neesham win the AFL? WAFL / VFL premierships don't count. He was arguably worse than McKenna.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back