Opinion The Rules Of Our Game - Kill Me Now...

Remove this Banner Ad

He does bring some intelligence to the station which has been lacking since he left the station a couple of years ago.

He will always have my respect for going at Eddie one day over the issue of clash jumpers.

Basically called him out and said that neither he nor Collingwood were special and therefore should follow AFL rules like every other team. Eddie dug in (as is his right) and Frankie did what a journo should do and called him out on his b/s...everyone is so shitscared of Fat Ed they never have a go at him and his little-Aussie-battler narrative.

Not Frankie but...Respect.

Got more into local footy last season, and will continue to this season, and noticed that by and large the umpires let the game flow much much more, and don't call the soft ones with the kind of gleeful haste the AFLs 'top adjudicators' do. Adds to the already pretty compelling value proposition of spectating the lower league comps instead of the image-conscious "elite" flagbearer for the sport.

Did the same thing, went to more of my local games, got sick of my son asking at AFL games "what was the free kick for Dad?" It was embarrassing to say I don't know, when I follow the game religiously.

• If your work changed work place rules every 6 weeks you would be fuming but this is how I see our AFL games at the highest levels and I feel for the players and the supporters.
  • Interpretation of a ruling is ridiculous on and off the field, make it black and white instead of fifty shades of grey. (ie Gibbs Tackle v Shultz Tackle)
  • The deliberate ruling is a joke as it is not adjudicated correctly and varies from game to game.
  • An older, experienced player will rarely get penalised against a younger rookie if they break a rule.

If our match against Hawthorn was anything to go by, it's going to be a frustrating year. The interpretation of the rule was very sensitive.

Protect the head by pinging blokes who impact the head. An incidental brush or a tackle that slips up should not be a free kick unless the tackler really locks onto the head.

I think the AFL will be looking to pay more free kicks in tackles this year to reduce ball ups and congestion and keep the play going up and down.

Who knows, this might work, just got to be good at it. Won't be happy seeing frees played to blokes who let tackles slide up though, if there's next to no force. We can't be encouraging players to go looking for high tackles.

If they are going to change the rules they should get rid of the bounce. How many good umpires out there can't get a gig because they aren't skilled in the art of bouncing the ball! Plenty. It's irrelevant, there is no reason for it, it just holds up play and now we have the inner circle to stop the ruckmen from getting a long run up it just causes problems and hold ups.

If they are going to change the rules they should get rid of the bounce. How many good umpires out there can't get a gig because they aren't skilled in the art of bouncing the ball! Plenty. It's irrelevant, there is no reason for it, it just holds up play and now we have the inner circle to stop the ruckmen from getting a long run up it just causes problems and hold ups.
I've heard of one bloke who had to give it away. The hyphenated ump. There are stats that tell us which trainees can and can't bounce the ball?

I've heard of one bloke who had to give it away. The hyphenated ump. There are stats that tell us which trainees can and can't bounce the ball?

I've got an umpire friend who has mentioned good umpires who couldn't go further because of the requirement to be able to bounce it. It's the stupidest thing about our game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must be in the minority, most of the time the frees paid are obvious.
Well, they kind of are pretty obvious once the guy blowing the whistle has provided some dance moves, landed a plane and explained the Magna Carta in detail to the bewildered player who caused the infringement.

Been saying this for ages now but the problem with the modern game is the average fan no longer understands it. I reckon the AFL has a real problem on its hands because tactically the game has moved on so quickly that many media people do not even understand it. The clubs are too scared to let their tactics out yet all this does is keep us all further removed from the game. For me they need to start running programs that educate us so we all have half a chance of understanding what is going on.

Been saying this for ages now but the problem with the modern game is the average fan no longer understands it. I reckon the AFL has a real problem on its hands because tactically the game has moved on so quickly that many media people do not even understand it. The clubs are too scared to let their tactics out yet all this does is keep us all further removed from the game. For me they need to start running programs that educate us so we all have half a chance of understanding what is going on.

Totally agree. Honestly baffled by half the rules.........and the shame is, most ignorant people seem to take it out on the umpires.

Only game in the world where those officiating are abused on and off the field, and shown utterly no respect.

Totally agree. Honestly baffled by half the rules.........and the shame is, most ignorant people seem to take it out on the umpires.

Only game in the world where those officiating are abused on and off the field, and shown utterly no respect.

Educate the masses and at least we have some chance. Most of us still live in the day of back pocket, full back, back pocket. There has been absolutely no education of team tactics over the past 5 years and the game is worse for it.

Garbage.

Are you for real? It's like footballs 4th dimension, a team gets done, it's not our fault, it must be the umpires.

Everyone's a rules expert, even when they don't know the rules.

Put it this way, a team goes out and kicks 10.20 and gets done by 3 points, that ain't the umpires fault, that's the side who missed 20 times in my book.

I'm glad this is being discussed, you'll hear a lot of people say today's footballers aren't as hard as they were "back in the day". I disagree, I think players are just as tough, if not tougher, than they ever were.
The problem as I see it, is the rules are softer, not the players. I completely agree the head must be protected, and the rules must reflect this. BUT, the head high rule, or above the shoulder has gone too far.
For me, there's one simple way to get the balance right. If a player, IN ANY WAY, contributes to his own head high tackle, then it's play on. Simple as that.
If a player ducks, bends at the knees, slides the arm, attempts the break or avoid a tackle, even if he just slips over at the wrong time. If he contributes to the high tackle, and let's face it, most times is just a hand brushing an ear or cheek, but if a player contributes to this high contact, play on, play on, play on.
If the tackler goes in high and makes contact above the shoulders, pay it, protect the head.
But players need to start protecting their own head also, and if they contribute to the high tackle, they're putting themselves at risk, you can't reward that, play on, I'm even ok with paying a free kick against the player that ducks, bends the knees etc.

But players need to start protecting their own head also, and if they contribute to the high tackle, they're putting themselves at risk, you can't reward that, play on, I'm even ok with paying a free kick against the player that ducks, bends the knees etc.

You got shares in the Austin Hospital???

It's a 360 degree War Zone out there, played in the middle of winter with no time-outs.

Impact injury is the same as a car accident.............

FMD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back