Analysis The Sack List: who stays, who goes in an AFC cleanout?

Who would you sack?

• Chief Executive Andrew Fagan

• Chairman Rob Chapman

• Board member and powerbroker Mark Ricciuto

• Football Operations Manager Brett Burton

• High Performance Manager Matt Hass

• Senior Coach Don Pyke

• Defence Coach Ben Hart

• Midfield Coach Scott Camporeale

• Ruck Coach Matthew Clarke

• Forward Coach Josh Francou

• Sack the entire board

• Chief Operating Officer Nigel Smart

• Media Manager Ian Shuttleworth

• 2019 Defence Coach Marty Mattner

• 2019 Midfield Coach Michael Godden

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The one question I do have here (and it's is a good time to ask) is does club take on the contract when trading for a player under control (which is very common in American sports), or did we have to offer a deal to Gibbs?

If we took on Carltons contract then that explains that comment as Gibbs contract was heavily front loaded (a big part of the reason why Cartlon was ****** off with us/Gibbs going down this route is the front loading ended in 2016). I'd be incredibly surprised if we could convince Gibbs to come home for under 600k though if we had to negotiate with him.
I assume Gibbs' contract is back-loaded given they were planning for him to be the immediate boost for a premiership this year. (lol)

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the club roll back in Neil Craig as director of football to replace Turdman.

Certain I'm in the minority here, but i would like to see Craig back in a non-coaching role (Director of football or even fitness - he doesnt know less than he did in 97/98).
Recognise the hypocrisy, since I'm also advocating for a cleanout of the boys club to some extent, but believe Craigy does have legitimate expertise. How about 3 of the boys club out (Hart, Burton, Smart), for 1 in?

I assume Gibbs' contract is back-loaded given they were planning for him to be the immediate boost for a premiership this year. (lol)

Could also be the case that we are paying him more in 2021-22 as we have a lot of uncontracted players in 2020.

Prediction:

Brett Burton to resign at the end of the year.

“I still feel I am the right man for the job. However I can see that all the noise is becoming too much of a distraction. I will resign in order to give the club a fresh start for 2019.”

Matt Hass will keep his job. Nobody would know if he’s any good at it yet anyway.

Teflon Rob Chapman will be fine. He would survive a nuclear explosion.

Andrew “the mechanism” Fagan is already lining up his next promotion.

Prediction:

Brett Burton to be promoted at the end of the year.

“I look forward to the challenge of leading the Adelaide Bite this year and look forward to the close co-operation of the new Head of Football David Mackay.”

Matt Hass will keep his job. Nobody would know if he’s any good at it yet anyway.

Teflon Rob Chapman will be fine. He would survive a nuclear explosion.

Andrew “the mechanism” Fagan is already lining up his next promotion.
FTFY

I would like to see a rule such as this:

Less than 50 percent of senior roles can be filled by former AFC players.

Some kind of constitutional limit to disperse this old boys network and prevent it ever re-forming.

Nepotism always ends up in failure.
I don't mind us hiring Crows old boys who have also experienced success in other environments. Eg Rutten.

Likewise in 3-4 years if VB is a premiership winning assistant coach.

It's the ones with no outside experience and/or no success like Clarke, Hart, Reilly that cripple you.

Reality is that in a small state we will need to lean on locals to a degree. The Teagues and Hamiltons are vital and valuable but will only ever be passing through.

Clarke got the gig as AFLW coach so he won't be going anywhere, must be demoted from the mens teams role however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree completely. But christ the media would have a field day with this.

I don’t think they would.

Richmond two years ago had a massive clean out - I think Hardwick and Rutten were basically the only survivors across the footy department key positions.

Collingwood last year did the same; they turned over either 19 or 29 footy ops staff.

Both of those Clubs had the balls to get rid of the dead wood, and back their senior coaches by actually giving them the assets they needed / not continuing to cripple them by poor resourcing.

We need to do the same, but I doubt we will. Again, we have a lame duck Chairman who is only interested in protecting himself and his position, a CEO who is clearly using us as a stepping stone, and a Footy Director who appears to view the club as a vehicle to look after his mates. A footy Ops Manager who is a complete muppet, totally out of his depth and probably will take a massive paycut if he finds another role.

Pyke is the only real cleanskin amongst them - can he force action at that level?

For real change to occur, one of them will need to initiate it, and they’ll put themselves under the gun when they do - do any of them have the balls or the integrity to do it?

Oh, and who is our media manager now?

Shuttleworth?

He’s shithouse, get rid of him.

In reality the board members should be wanting everyone’s heads, how can they be happy that this sort of s**t is going on?
It was obvious our injury management would get worse as soon as Burton & Haas was hired, a simple google search could see that they failed in their past roles at Brisbane.

So the obvious answer to your first question is, are they more interested in looking after themselves, or doing the right thing by the Club?

Being on the board of an AFL Club is a hell of a privilege, with massive benefits internally and externally.

Last edited:
Clarke got the gig as AFLW coach so he won't be going anywhere, must be demoted from the mens teams role however.
Is it fair to criticise Clarke just because Jakob's is burnt out. What we should be looking at the reason why we have not blooded anyone in or why we did recruit someone like Sam Hayes who went about late 40s in the draft. We burnt our draft picks on some weird trade deals.

Is it fair to criticise Clarke just because Jakob's is burnt out. What we should be looking at the reason why we have not blooded anyone in or why we did recruit someone like Sam Hayes who went about late 40s in the draft. We burnt our draft picks on some weird trade deals.
Going by the quote from Pyke about needing to have trust in the assistants then yes I think some of the blame can be laid at Clarkes feet. Player succession is a dirty word and competitive players hate it but there needs to be a plan in place and that RoB hasnt had as much game time , no matter the form in the SANFL , is poor management

Bicks: There is no way they'll drop him [Gibbs] before his 250th game

Categorical.

This is exactly what's wrong with us. Not saying we should drop Gibbs just yet (he has been poo lately though), but the mentality is clear. Good blokes and their milestones before the club.

Exactly why Dmac will be straight back in as we race to get him to 300. Exactly why we held on to Thommo, VB etc too long. The mentality is absolutely much loved players before the club and before performance. Milestones should be earned not gifted.

Bicks: There is no way they'll drop him [Gibbs] before his 250th game

Categorical.

This is exactly what's wrong with us. Not saying we should drop Gibbs just yet (he has been poo lately though), but the mentality is clear. Good blokes and their milestones before the club.

Exactly why Dmac will be straight back in as we race to get him to 300. Exactly why we held on to Thommo, VB etc too long. The mentality is absolutely much loved players before the club and before performance. Milestones should be earned not gifted.

Yep, exactly right.

Back