The shape of the Sherrin.

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread just seems destined to be derailed and become our new Nathan Freeman thread.
I can sense it.
subiacojim thanks for opening it. It may not stay on topic but it could become legendary.
Don't be surprised if pics of food and dogs and short videos of Magpies landing on a balcony to be fed start appearing.
I've notices WalterBlaknWhte has already ventured on here. We can only hope he doesn't post too often.
It seems you were right Otto (as usual) - diversifying already😆

As for the shape of the football.....it’s a good question subiacojim.
(Even I could kick one of those old footys)

Exactly! It’s our really poor attitude and lack of confidence in our own ability, as a nation we take the easy option for short term gain.

There is no reason why we couldn’t have a globally competitive auto or manufacturing industry, and one that is not subsidised over the long term.

Recent events have shown that it’s critical to have this capacity in a strategic sense if nothing else!

Not sure it has anything to do with confidence or inability. Rather it's about comparative costs. Can't compete with countries running sweat shops.

Not sure it has anything to do with confidence or inability. Rather it's about comparative costs. Can't compete with countries running sweat shops.
Do they run sweat shops in Germany and Japan? That’s what technology us for. Every legitimate country in the world focuses on an industry and manufactures.

The Sherrin isn’t what it once was, but there’s a lot of assumption in the OP in terms of the impact on goalkicking.

Old days to me Sav Rocca was never reliable from 30 whereas out old days to the OP is Peter McKenna perhaps the greatest set shot of all time. Players run more, are quicker and are involved in more contests in 2021 so get fatigued more which also has an impact on goalkicking. We then have a broader range of players taking set shots in the old days a FF could have 10 shots on goal from his 10 possessions whereas in 2021 a FF could take a month to get that many on top of pushing up and down the field. How often were mids and half backs kicking goals in the old days v 2021?

I think it’s an interesting theory, but one that doesn’t hold a lot of weight on its own because like every other element in the game it’s evolved (for better or worse).

Agree with Scodog10 and would even go as far to say goal kicking today is better that in the past. I saw McKenna, at Vic Park especially, play a lot of footy and he was a beautiful and accurate kick. Hudson was nearly as accurate but not as beautiful. Wade was a thumping accurate kick.

Fast forward and Lockett was McKenna like, and Dunstall also a beautiful set shot

But these players stood out as way above the pack in their day and because of the way the game was played took a huge % of the set shots compared to any modern player. I don’t think the average player back in those eras would have match the modern player in set shots. Modern players are better kicks, they kick Daics like goals as a routine thing, the degree of difficulty is greater for many of the shots they attempt.

Like all skills in the game goal kicking has never been better overall

Do they run sweat shops in Germany and Japan? That’s what technology us for. Every legitimate country in the world focuses on an industry and manufactures.

Yeah, sweat shops was used to make a point. An obvious exaggeration. Do those countries have the same employee wages and conditions as car manufacturers in Australia? Are their markets the same? What are their distribution costs? How many units do they sell? Are they specifically car manufacturers or have they diversified? Who owns those companies?

Reply from Sherrin.

Hi XXXXXXXXXXX
Thanks for contacting us and its great to see discussion on our much loved ball.
Any discussion is good discussion when it involves passionate footy fans.

Sherrin footballs have been made the same way for nearly 130 years, it is truly a learned craft. The leather is a natural Australian product, but no changes to composition, material or treatment has occurred .
The same printing process has been in place since the AFL introduced sponsored logos on the ball and there is no there difference to the red or yellow Sherrin nor no different process or treatment in making the balls.

I hope this information assists you with your discussion.
If you have any other questions please let me know :)

Yeah, sweat shops was used to make a point. An obvious exaggeration. Do those countries have the same employee wages and conditions as car manufacturers in Australia? Are their markets the same? What are their distribution costs? How many units do they sell? Are they specifically car manufacturers or have they diversified? Who owns those companies?
I don’t know exactly but judging by their living standards I would say it would be similar in terms of wages, European countries have more liberal workers conditions which increases labour costs. So from that perspective we are at an advantage.

When it comes to cars, the issue is we licensed...meaning we could never really make our own way. We also never built the scale to warrant investment in tech to reduce costs...or you could do what Tesla did and disrupt the market and make massive investments up front in the trust that your product is superior to any other offering on the market...but that would be un Australian.

Distribution costs are no different to companies that have to export products to Australia...yet they still manage to dominate our market. Scale helps, but you have to start somewhere....any manufacturing industry would undoubtedly need a leg up from the government to establish itself as a globally competitive player...we never should have had two or three locally made cars,all the effort went into competing domestically.

We are a nation of short term thinkers, just look at the reactions on this board after a loss.

I don’t know exactly but judging by their living standards I would say it would be similar in terms of wages, European countries have more liberal workers conditions which increases labour costs. So from that perspective we are at an advantage.

When it comes to cars, the issue is we licensed...meaning we could never really make our own way. We also never built the scale to warrant investment in tech to reduce costs...or you could do what Tesla did and disrupt the market and make massive investments up front in the trust that your product is superior to any other offering on the market...but that would be un Australian.

Distribution costs are no different to companies that have to export products to Australia...yet they still manage to dominate our market. Scale helps, but you have to start somewhere....any manufacturing industry would undoubtedly need a leg up from the government to establish itself as a globally competitive player...we never should have had two or three locally made cars,all the effort went into competing domestically.

We are a nation of short term thinkers, just look at the reactions on this board after a loss.

You're making it out to be a simple argument but it's anything but. As I said, very little to do with confidence or ability. I'll leave it there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're making it out to be a simple argument but it's anything but. As I said, very little to do with confidence or ability. I'll leave it there.
I don’t think you understand the argument...Nothing is simple, but if you want to gain something you have to risk something...outsourcing something like the production of match balls is a typically Australian thing to do. It’s not a massive undertaking to develop balls that perform well....and if we did perfect it there is a massive market that we could capture and generate export revenue. I’ll leave it there.

I don’t think you understand the argument...Nothing is simple, but if you want to gain something you have to risk something...outsourcing something like the production of match balls is a typically Australian thing to do. It’s not a massive undertaking to develop balls that perform well....and if we did perfect it there is a massive market that we could capture and generate export revenue. I’ll leave it there.

Ummmm, sherrin's are manufactured in Scoresby using Australian leather. Just because the ball has changed shape doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't the best performing footy's that can be made in todays environment.

Ummmm, sherrin's are manufactured in Scoresby using Australian leather. Just because the ball has changed shape doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't the best performing footy's that can be made in todays environment.
I never said there was an issue, my original comment was in response to somebody else saying there were issues with the ball and that we need to get an international company to supply them...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back