The Simon Black situation - Update - The Champ Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it amusing how much people try to establish what is happening in the coaches box from the pics they are shown.. :) it's been mentioned over the years that what the TV channels show is not neccessarily at the same time as what happens on the ground. Anyway each to their own and IMO it's good to see two coaches having heated/animated discussions.

Oh and Blacky being crook, maybe he was shown his limited edition guernsey ;)

Doesn't he have business interests in qld?

Last I heard he co-owned a couple of Bank of Queensland private branches but it's not like he was running them anyway.

Some talk that Blacky should keep playing because of the exodus. I really can't agree. As far as I am concerned Blacky will play on if he thinks he is up to it and the club is keen for him to go around again. The exodus shouldn't have an impact on his decision.

Some talk that Blacky should keep playing because of the exodus. I really can't agree. As far as I am concerned Blacky will play on if he thinks he is up to it and the club is keen for him to go around again. The exodus shouldn't have an impact on his decision.

The exodus hasn't affected our immediate midfield stocks anyway.

Yeo and Docherty out, Golby and Harwood get more guaranteed game time.

Yeah, can't see that they'd bother with a press conference if he were playing on.
A sad day to cap off a sad year really.:(
Or the start of a new beginning for the Lions?
Would be glorious if he mentions his optimism for the club with Matthews imminent return.;)

While the news isn't really a surprise and I was pretty much expecting it, it still feels like a punch in the guts.

Will never see him fire off a handball from the bottom of pack again. :(

Days like this make me pissed off that people have cheapened words like champion and legend by using them too loosely, meaning that I don't seem to have the words to do him justice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shattering news.

Simon is the definition of champion. Still had it at the ripe age of 34, evidenced by the 5 brownlow votes he polled over his final 3 games.

In the end, he's probably my favourite player of all time. A great bloke; reliable, resilient and humble.

All the best for the future Blacky. You've been a pleasure to watch over your whole career - that can't be said about too many.

the news of the imminent announcement of simon blacks retirement brings down the curtain on one of the all-time great careers ... i hope the club choose to retire his number for the next twelve months as a mark of respect & only re-issue it when simon black himself selects a recruit who would have the potential to do the number justice.

While the news isn't really a surprise and I was pretty much expecting it, it still feels like a punch in the guts.

Will never see him fire off a handball from the bottom of pack again. :(

Days like this make me pissed off that people have cheapened words like champion and legend by using them too loosely, meaning that I don't seem to have the words to do him justice.

Amen.

I still remember getting up at 4 in the morning, sneaking past my parents' bedroom, and turning the TV on in the living room really quiet so I could watch our pre-season cup game played in South Africa against the Dockers.

The only thing I remember from that game is how good the skinny kid with the straight black hair looked. Seemed like he always found the ball in the contest.
It's just been thrilling to watch him evolve into the player he has become.

its comforting to know that amongst this heartache of losing Blacky atleast he will be another "Hall of Famer" from the Lions..

Great Career.

remarkable, amazing, breath taking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back