Certified Legendary Thread The Squiggle is back in 2023 (and other analytics)

Remove this Banner Ad

If it predicted Brisbane to lose a game then the entire model needs to be thrown out.

Very generous of Carlton. Underestimating the Pies again.
I don’t think it’s a massive underestimation given there is less than a win from 2-6 and 2 wins from 2-10. Worth noting that apart from Geelong every side from last year’s top 4 is rated at 13 wins.

Biggest one for mine is Freo. 15 wins and a draw plus a win in the finals and only slates them at 11.4??

Biggest one for mine is Freo. 15 wins and a draw plus a win in the finals and only slates them at 11.4??
The squiggle really must rate the losses of Mundy, Lobb and Logue, or the analytics just don’t paint Freo as a damaging side?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squiggle overestimate’s hawthorn (going by all the talk that we and north are spoon locks)
Squiggle rates the return of our injured players more than the losses, according to final siren, which is kinda ironic as last year I queried in here why the Squiggle had such a low opinion of Sicily and Gunston returning from injury.

Last edited:
The squiggle really must rate the losses of Mundy, Lobb and Logue, or the analytics just don’t paint Freo as a damaging side?
No doubt it’ll be all Lobb as he kicked the most goals for us last year. He hasn’t done that any other year and we have enough talent coming through to replace his output.

Hasn’t been many recent seasons Freo hasn’t outperformed squiggles pre season prediction if I remember correctly so I wouldn’t worry too much

Re Freo:

Fremantle had a 13-point win with 2 fewer scoring shots, at home (so arguably a loss at a neutral venue given strong HGA), followed by a 20-point loss with 10 fewer scoring shots away (so arguably a worse loss than the scoring margin suggested given Freo only generated 14 scoring shots), to teams that both had H&A percentages only just above 100% on the season. That indicates that they were two pretty poor performances in finals against two other teams that in turn were pretty average on the season.

People love trying to come up with complex reasons to obvious simple things that have an answer. Fremantle across their two most recent matches (any very relevant on form), arguably did not play up to even a top-8 team standard. Strange it hasn't been said so far!

Re Freo:

Fremantle had a 13-point win with 2 fewer scoring shots, at home (so arguably a loss at a neutral venue given strong HGA), followed by a 20-point loss with 10 fewer scoring shots away (so arguably a worse loss than the scoring margin suggested given Freo only generated 14 scoring shots), to teams that both had H&A percentages only just above 100% on the season. That indicates that they were two pretty poor performances in finals against two other teams that in turn were pretty average on the season.

People love trying to come up with complex reasons to obvious simple things that have an answer. Fremantle across their two most recent matches (any very relevant on form), arguably did not play up to even a top-8 team standard. Strange it hasn't been said so far!

That’s fair enough but we were pretty young , couple of tough finals wouldn’t have hurt us too much

Graph is just before the last round I think

IMG_0117.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back