The Sydney Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my best mates lives in Newtown. Have consequently had many a good session at both the Carlisle Castle and Courthouse Hotels.
The courthouse hotel in newtown is a great pub. Also a big AFL pub so that helps. Not been to he Carlisle Castle.

There's some great pubs in Newtown/Erskineville area - The Erskenville hotel (The Erko), Swanson Hotel, Earls Juke Joint, The Rose are all quality. The young henry's brewery is a fine place to spend a Saturday. Plenty of others as well. A really good part of the world for hitting the piss.

So who else fell out of bed at 4.10am ???

****en had to be loud to have woken me up , started pouring instantly.
We would've had a good months rain in 3 hours

I'm the heaviest sleeper I know and even I woke up at 4am. Had to go stand in the hallway for half an hour because I didn't feel comfortable lying next to the bedroom window with that much lightning. Can't recall the last time I saw lightning with that much intensity.

Between the extreme heat and the inability to get anywhere with the trains having a daily meltdown, this isn't the most enjoyable January.

I'm the heaviest sleeper I know and even I woke up at 4am. Had to go stand in the hallway for half an hour because I didn't feel comfortable lying next to the bedroom window with that much lightning. Can't recall the last time I saw lightning with that much intensity.

Between the extreme heat and the inability to get anywhere with the trains having a daily meltdown, this isn't the most enjoyable January.
The trains are proving to be an incredible pain in the proverbial. Absolute mayhem at Wynyard of late.

The trains are proving to be an incredible pain in the proverbial. Absolute mayhem at Wynyard of late.

With the new timetable, I now need four trains to get to work (used to be two). Nobody believes me when I tell them that. Obviously I drive now. So at least that's no longer an issue for me, even if tolls are.

But I often like to go out after work. And after the disaster of last night I'm not sure I'm up for that until this is actually fixed. It's just mental.

With the new timetable, I now need four trains to get to work (used to be two). Nobody believes me when I tell them that. Obviously I drive now. So at least that's no longer an issue for me, even if tolls are.

But I often like to go out after work. And after the disaster of last night I'm not sure I'm up for that until this is actually fixed. It's just mental.
Woah, what stations are you travelling to/from?

Thankfully I was one of the few that weren't impacted by the changes. They shouldn't have touched the weekday timetables, it was only the weekend ones that required work.

Woah, what stations are you travelling to/from?

Thankfully I was one of the few that weren't impacted by the changes. They shouldn't have touched the weekday timetables, it was only the weekend ones that required work.

Windsor to Campbelltown: Windsor to Parramatta, Parramatta to Granville, Granville to Glenfield, Glenfield to Campbelltown. Previously I could just change at Seven Hills for a Cumberland Line train.

Weekend timetable initially didn't have any direct trains to the city for the Richmond line (again, would have to change between Blacktown and Harris Park). Thankfully that's been fixed, although not after 9:30pm. Which is an improvement, but when you've mastered staggering onto a train, passing out and then waking up an hour later at your station, it's a bit annoying. But not the big issue for me.

We had the storm mostly miss us out west yesterday. Had some big winds an a bit of rain but wasn't too bad all in all.

Now for some (much welcomed) cooler weather!

Deadset sydneys weather have a nervous breakdown those 48hrs
Today was bliss however

Windsor to Campbelltown: Windsor to Parramatta, Parramatta to Granville, Granville to Glenfield, Glenfield to Campbelltown. Previously I could just change at Seven Hills for a Cumberland Line train.

Weekend timetable initially didn't have any direct trains to the city for the Richmond line (again, would have to change between Blacktown and Harris Park). Thankfully that's been fixed, although not after 9:30pm. Which is an improvement, but when you've mastered staggering onto a train, passing out and then waking up an hour later at your station, it's a bit annoying. But not the big issue for me.

Apparently this is the 21st century....
Don't worry mate , only another 2 years until the NW link opens.....:(

Having my 1st crack at sydney transport in years this weekend , got my best mate , his wife and their daughter here.
5 min drive to Riley T-way and onto a bus and at the QVB in less than an hour :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fellas, I need a recommendation for a decent bar in the CBD for a first date

Somewhere bit relaxed and chill, not overly priced and where music isn't overbearingly loud

My usual go-to is Frankie's tbh. But I think I might change it up a bit

Frankie's is great although the music can indeed be overbearingly loud.

I often go to Ramblin' Rascal, although kept bumping into friends and have had to end its status as my go-to.

Since I Left You is a pretty good option, particularly on a nice summer evening. Papa Gede's, not too far away, is also great if the weather's not so great or if SILY is closed for a function (only really a problem on a Saturday night though).

The new Duke of Clarence, in the same courtyard as the Baxter Inn and the Barber Shop, is really nice. Set up like a British pub, it's very chill. I really rate it.

Whereabouts in the CBD are you looking? Does it matter what end?

Doesn't really matter, so long as it isn't too far (>10 mins walk) from nearest train station, but I guess no where is that far from a train station in CBD.

Frankie's is great although the music can indeed be overbearingly loud.

I often go to Ramblin' Rascal, although kept bumping into friends and have had to end its status as my go-to.

Since I Left You is a pretty good option, particularly on a nice summer evening. Papa Gede's, not too far away, is also great if the weather's not so great or if SILY is closed for a function (only really a problem on a Saturday night though).

The new Duke of Clarence, in the same courtyard as the Baxter Inn and the Barber Shop, is really nice. Set up like a British pub, it's very chill. I really rate it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Have heard of most you mentioned so I'll keep them in mind

Baxter Inn is a good one. The date can get the wrong idea if they've never been there and you lead them through the alleyway tho! Haha

Doesn't really matter, so long as it isn't too far (>10 mins walk) from nearest train station, but I guess no where is that far from a train station in CBD.

Does it have to be the CBD? Surry Hills and Darlinghurst have quite a few great ones too.

Baxter Inn is a good one. The date can get the wrong idea if they've never been there and you lead them through the alleyway tho! Haha

That's an issue with a few of the hidden away ones - I once met someone at The Wild Rover, went upstairs and sat by the window and watched them trying to figure out where to go (clearly that relationship didn't last).

Thanks for the suggestions. Have heard of most you mentioned so I'll keep them in mind

I have a few go to bars for dates in the CBD.

Baxter Inn and Barber Shop as mentioned are great.

Also check out Lobo Plantation, Mojo Record Bar and The Swinging Cat. Classy cocktail bars all close to each other, I generally go to a couple on the one night which makes it a bit more interesting than staying at the one bar for the evening.

The Rook is another good one for dates and also if you are planning on getting food. But like the alley to the Baxter Inn, The Rook requires you going up a lift of an office building which could also give them the wrong idea ha..

Had a belter day in the city yesterday.
Went to Maddame Tussauds.

26219982_10155269771228527_9049773528214633636_n.jpg

Then lunch at cockle bay - hats off to whoever chooses the music.

Fellas, I need a recommendation for a decent bar in the CBD for a first date

Somewhere bit relaxed and chill, not overly priced and where music isn't overbearingly loud

My usual go-to is Frankie's tbh. But I think I might change it up a bit
Went to Mojo and Stitch Bar on the weekend on Clarence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back