The Teague Delay

Remove this Banner Ad

and the Brisbane game last year, and the Bulldogs game last year, and Richmond this year? You can pluck an excuse for all of them or accept there’s a clear pattern of the team not being prepared to perform from the first bounce.

Anyway this not the year to get worked up over football. Let’s just hope they switch on earlier next week.
Not disagreeing, but happy to give the young coach and his talented list the whole season to get this s**t right against the best as well as the rest.
Agree on this season.
I don't think there should be a grand final, just a minor premiership celebrated well.
Can't stand the thought of a finals series and grand final with little to no crowds.

48% of our total points against have come in the 2 first quarters. 44 and 32 points of our 159 against. Definitely agree that there is a problem with our starts. The positive is that across the other 6 quarters we average 13.8 points against. That's a pretty awesome second stat that showcases our improvement.
Makes sense.
48 % against in quarters 1 and 2,
And 52% against in 3 and 4.
Not sure what you mean by "the other six quarters"?

48% of our total points against have come in the 2 first quarters. 44 and 32 points of our 159 against. Definitely agree that there is a problem with our starts. The positive is that across the other 6 quarters we average 13.8 points against. That's a pretty awesome second stat that showcases our improvement.
And how many have come from stoppages ? Ridiculous this is the same -- after 18 months ...

The 3rd and 4th actually featured Setterfield quite a bit and then Cuningham a few times as well. I think Cripps was struggling so they left him forward and rotated others in there with Ed.

Haven't watched the replay (too heartbroken and frustrated with the 1 point loss) and didn't notice live. That's good though getting some younger guys in there and can see Setters/Cunners being good stoppage players.

Murphy, due to his age if nothing else, should be phased out of there and allowed to roam on a wing at centre bounces.

If DT can shuffle the magnets effectively then thats a hell of a lot better than our last few coaches. Rats was pretty SH at having a plan B as was Mick. Probably give Pagan a pass in that he didnt have the cattle

Spot on with Ratts.

Yes gibbons is another player that should be playing in the guts!! Pretty sure that’s what his bread and butter was in the vfl!! We can’t be much worse!! Give him a chance

This this and this.
It really is time to move Murphy out of the guts.

I know everybody is scoffing at the two comebacks from the first two rounds, but they have to be taken into account. Last years premiers gave up a 52 point lead, and if JSOS and Paddy had converted their shots we would have been a goal down with momentum. Last night the over rated D's gave up a 42 point lead, and had Cripps kicked one more, Jack didn't hit the post and Eddie converted the soda (And McGov had scored ANYTHING) we would be all very chuffed and happily sitting in the mix undefeated!
In Any Given Sunday Al Pacino described his game as a game of inches, and the analogy holds in our game too. If you are prepared to fight and scrap for that inch, you win games, if you don't, you loose the close winnable ones. We currently are scrambling for those inches, and getting closer.
Teague continues to "back the boys" and so he should, they are obviously the fittest team going around as they continue coming, but as everyone (and I reckon it is THE conversation at the club right Now) has identified the first quarters must be fixed. We don't have to win, just not be too far off the opposition at quarter time because our fitness alone should see us home.
Next week in Geelong throw the pace onto the wings, the narrow ground should play the wings like the middle of Flemington, a fast corridor either side. Williamson and Jack Martin. We can afford to go a little slower in the guts as Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan/Guthrie are not quick. Cripps, Ed, JSOS, Samo, Gibbo would fight for those inches. I'd play both Murphy and Walsh as high forwards, Geelong wouldn't be expecting that.
Next week is eminently winnable, as long as the whole team are prepared to fight for those inches from the get go and the coaching staff go on the offensive straight away and are willing to react immediately to any Geelong counter move.
It's one of those games where it's more likely that an upset occurs, simply because it's considered to be a foregone conclusion.

That is one fantastic post DL.

It's all excuses mate. Every ******* year, every ******* game.

Even when the game is there to be won we fluff gimme shots at goal or make dumb decisions.
First question when interviewing prospective draftees........."Are you likely to make a dumb decision, yes or no? Come on, yes or no?"

We play like we’re scared to lose until the game is lost, then we get within striking distance and do it all over again.

It’s so predictable that I picked it before the first bounce.
then why watch the game if you were so sure we'd lose? odd.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really wouldnt be opposed to a starting centre group for next weeks game of Pittonet, Cripps, JSOS, Martin. Say the first 10mins. There is certainly enough class, power and intensity in that group. Then once tone has been set go to our normal midfield rotations.

I'd be happy with these 4 starting against the Cats on Saturday night.
Murphy and Walsh to a wing each, and Setterfield (if he holds his spot) can start on the bench.
Gibbons needs to be part of these midfield rotations as well.

For as long as Ed Curnow and Marc Murphy are starting midfielders this will remain an issue.

It seems Bolton was aware of this but the problem was the youngsters were not up to it.

Teague's challenge this season is to find someone. I have big doubts over our options here.

Get Gibbons in there. Try Dow, Setterfield and Stocker.

We need a Joel Selwood type. Someone who will relentlessly put their body on the line but can also play.

We lack the intensity, physicality a aggression around the ball. We don't "hit in" hard enough.

I know everybody is scoffing at the two comebacks from the first two rounds, but they have to be taken into account. Last years premiers gave up a 52 point lead, and if JSOS and Paddy had converted their shots we would have been a goal down with momentum. Last night the over rated D's gave up a 42 point lead, and had Cripps kicked one more, Jack didn't hit the post and Eddie converted the soda (And McGov had scored ANYTHING) we would be all very chuffed and happily sitting in the mix undefeated!
In Any Given Sunday Al Pacino described his game as a game of inches, and the analogy holds in our game too. If you are prepared to fight and scrap for that inch, you win games, if you don't, you loose the close winnable ones. We currently are scrambling for those inches, and getting closer.
Teague continues to "back the boys" and so he should, they are obviously the fittest team going around as they continue coming, but as everyone (and I reckon it is THE conversation at the club right Now) has identified the first quarters must be fixed. We don't have to win, just not be too far off the opposition at quarter time because our fitness alone should see us home.
Next week in Geelong throw the pace onto the wings, the narrow ground should play the wings like the middle of Flemington, a fast corridor either side. Williamson and Jack Martin. We can afford to go a little slower in the guts as Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan/Guthrie are not quick. Cripps, Ed, JSOS, Samo, Gibbo would fight for those inches. I'd play both Murphy and Walsh as high forwards, Geelong wouldn't be expecting that.
Next week is eminently winnable, as long as the whole team are prepared to fight for those inches from the get go and the coaching staff go on the offensive straight away and are willing to react immediately to any Geelong counter move.
It's one of those games where it's more likely that an upset occurs, simply because it's considered to be a foregone conclusion.

Yes

Teague was lucky last year, there is no pressure at the back end of a season when you are 1-11 and winning against clubs who are not in the finals. His answer to the question regarding slow starts was honest but lacked leadership.
He should have said " I don't have the answers but we need to make changes and try different pre match and players"
He needs to make a statement at selection this week and hopefully change the pre match

Let's not worry what Teague says, he'll play his cards close to his chest, let's see what he does. I don't think he is afraid to try things and that is what he must do. He was a pretty tough player himself, I would think he would expect his players to attack the contests and put their bodies on the line. Whether we have those players is another question, I would like to think we find one or two and then if we still need them, go and get them as trades or free agents.

There is definitely a big difference in the intensity and attack on the contest with our players, we have a skilled group but it's time to go through the ones who aren't willing to play heavy contact footy.

My onball group would be Gibbons (all day), Curnow but only tagging and on his last chance, Cripps obviously, Setterfield but on his last chance and rotate Silvagni in there and perhaps McGovern and Martin. Would be looking very closely at playing Stocker and/or Dow and giving them a real chance.

It seems to me that our first quarter blues boils down to being out bustled and being too timid around the ball. We need aggression around the ball in the first quarter. That leads me to the idea that MM should be outside the centre square . Replace him with someone with aggression around the ball- thats not setterfield, Fisher or dow. Stocker seems to have that aggression in spades, as do some of the new draftees. Even williamson has this aggression.
I would try starting with Pitonett, Cripps, Stocker, Jack/Ed in the square . Williamson and Walsh on the wings Once the hustle and bustle has gone out of the game, and it becomes better suited to our players with more finess eg sps, setterfield , fisher, murph , let them rotate in.

After 5 rounds: Carlton 2014-2019
2014 1-4
2015 1-4
2016 1-4
2017 1-4
2018 0-5
2019 1-4

Damning statistics. Rebuild the rebuild. The '66 game reset.' Questions and things worth pondering:

When will we improve?
When will guys like O'Brien, Dow, etc. take the next step?
Beating Melbourne was a game we had to win to show we were on the right track.
The culture of the Club is stuffed and has been for years. Maybe The Last Dance needs to be played repeatedly to this playing group.
Board has failed year upon year. ( Apart from reducing debt)
How does Darcy Lang get a game?
What's happened to Liam Stocker?
Why did we let Phillips go (not that he's great) considering Kruezer's injury record?
Why is our list so unbalanced? Thanks, SOS.

It seems to me that our first quarter blues boils down to being out bustled and being too timid around the ball. We need aggression around the ball in the first quarter. That leads me to the idea that MM should be outside the centre square . Replace him with someone with aggression around the ball- thats not setterfield, Fisher or dow. Stocker seems to have that aggression in spades, as do some of the new draftees. Even williamson has this aggression.
I would try starting with Pitonett, Cripps, Stocker, Jack/Ed in the square . Williamson and Walsh on the wings Once the hustle and bustle has gone out of the game, and it becomes better suited to our players with more finess eg sps, setterfield , fisher, murph , let them rotate in.
I'd say a combination of Cripps, Curnow and Gibbons is close to as good as we can get. All aggressive, all capable of a bit of inside and outside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back