Ultimate Glory The Three-Peat! Chronicles of our famous era

Remove this Banner Ad

What way is it poorly written? Any examples? Thinking of getting it but would be dissapointed if it's like the other hawthorn book written by Martin Blake
As Darthmann said above, just a lot of unnecessarily long and poorly written sentences. They can't seem to get through a single paragraph without 10 commas and multiple digressions.

As Darthmann said above, just a lot of unnecessarily long and poorly written sentences. They can't seem to get through a single paragraph without 10 commas and multiple digressions.
yeah as an editor i found it particularly annoying

but ultimately it's a coffee table book and i think regardless you wont regret purchasing it even if the reading of it isn't as good as it could be. nice book to flick through and remind friends that I'm lucky enough to have seen one of the greatest AFL dynasties of all time

I got mine for Dad's Day and agree somewhat with some of the above comments, but it is a beautiful book - some great photos I've never seen before and a book you can easily flip between years and still makes sense (at least did for me). Ostensibly covers the period 2009-2021.

Not sure if has been mentioned (and I only found it near the back in the copyright and cover photo credits page), but the Contributors listed are:
Geoff Slattery, Peter Di Sisto, Ash Browne, Ben Collins, Peter Haby, Dan Eddy and the late (and great) Michael Gordon.

I think the enormity of the 3-peat is understated at times as Brisbane lions achieved it 2001-03, but since then, many good premiership teams have not even been able to go back-to-back, let alone three in a row.

West Coast 2006 with an amazing midfield couldn't do it. All BS aside, Geelong 2007-2011 was a very good team, but couldn't do it. The 2010 Collingwood team were very strong, couldn't do it. Richmond 2019-2020 was the only team who has followed up with 2 in a row, and we are seeing how difficult Melbourne is finding following up after a flag.

If you really stop and think about it, 2013-15 was a golden era, certainly for Hawthorn, but in perspective it's one of the great achievements in football history, especially when you consider only one team has won 4 in a row.

For my money, Hawthorn 1982-1991 was the greatest team in history, but even they couldn't achieve the 3-peat.

I think the enormity of the 3-peat is understated at times as Brisbane lions achieved it 2001-03, but since then, many good premiership teams have not even been able to go back-to-back, let alone three in a row.

West Coast 2006 with an amazing midfield couldn't do it. All BS aside, Geelong 2007-2011 was a very good team, but couldn't do it. The 2010 Collingwood team were very strong, couldn't do it. Richmond 2019-2020 was the only team who has followed up with 2 in a row, and we are seeing how difficult Melbourne is finding following up after a flag.

If you really stop and think about it, 2013-15 was a golden era, certainly for Hawthorn, but in perspective it's one of the great achievements in football history, especially when you consider only one team has won 4 in a row.

For my money, Hawthorn 1982-1991 was the greatest team in history, but even they couldn't achieve the 3-peat.
I have been watching some of the games from the eighties on YouTube. They were an amazing side but the side through 2011-2015 were just as good and probably more skilful. If Rough didn’t get sick we would have gone closer to four on the trot.

I have been watching some of the games from the eighties on YouTube. They were an amazing side but the side through 2011-2015 were just as good and probably more skilful. If Rough didn’t get sick we would have gone closer to four on the trot.
I actually watched the 80s side live, they were greater than 2011-2015 imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game styles were so different.
How can you possibly compare?

8 Grand Finals in 9 seasons, 5 premierships. And the only thing that stopped them winning in 1990 was a horror run of injuries. Sorry, but as good as the 2013-15 team was, it just doesn't measure up.

What about 1990? Chris Mew missed most of the season. Tony Hall only played the final 4 games. Buckenara played only 3 games. Brereton missed a number of games mid-season due to injury. Jason Dunstall had his skull caved in and missed several games. Ruckman Greg Dear missed most of the second half of the season. The team was decimated by serious injuries all season. On the rare occasion they were anywhere near full strength they smashed eventual premier Collingwood by 83 points. Given ordinary luck, we would have played 9 consecutive Grand Finals for possibly 6 flags.

I actually watched the 80s side live, they were greater than 2011-2015 imo.
I too have followed the Hawks for a long time I recall the 76 flag as my first real interest at 12. I saw the 80s team. I did not say the 2011-15 team were better but I think more skillfull. I will also contend there has never been a better forward combo than Buddy Rough Cyril Breust and Gunner. Poppy went ok too and we rolled Hale Lewis and Hodge through there as well. Insane collection. I’d say the backline was superior in the 80s to the recent team and I think Clarko was a better tactician than Jeans. The 80s were somewhat a blur being at Uni with various chemical and horizontal activities being a distraction from footy, rewatching is a blast and gives perspective. I recommend it.

The game styles were so different.
How can you possibly compare?
So true, you can't compare game styles. I'm going off individual talent. Not to undermine our recent premiership team but a backline of Langford, Mew, Ayres and Kennedy is simply sublime. Forwards consisting of Dunstall, Brereton, Buckenara and Hall... well, geez. That said, 2011-2015 had a splattering of genuine superstars - Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli, Roughie...

Pound for pound, I believe there was a bit more talent in the 80s team. But as I noted previously, that is in my opinion.

I too have followed the Hawks for a long time I recall the 76 flag as my first real interest at 12. I saw the 80s team. I did not say the 2011-15 team were better but I think more skillfull. I will also contend there has never been a better forward combo than Buddy Rough Cyril Breust and Gunner. Poppy went ok too and we rolled Hale Lewis and Hodge through there as well. Insane collection. I’d say the backline was superior in the 80s to the recent team and I think Clarko was a better tactician than Jeans. The 80s were somewhat a blur being at Uni with various chemical and horizontal activities being a distraction from footy, rewatching is a blast and gives perspective. I recommend it.
My apologies, the way you worded it sounded as though you were basing the 80s team on what you saw on youtube, lol.

But yes, in the age of professional, full time footballers, the more recent side you'd expect to be more skilful in terms of execution. Pure talent-wise, the 80s edge them out.

Last edited:
So true, you can't compare game styles. I'm going off individual talent. Not to undermine our recent premiership team but a backline of Langford, Mew, Ayres and Kennedy is simply sublime. Forwards consisting of Dunstall, Brereton, Buckenara and Hall... well, geez. That said, 2011-2015 had a splattering of genuine superstars - Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli, Roughie...

Pound for pound, I believe there was a bit more talent in the 80s team. But as I noted previously, that is in my opinion.

I agree with that.
Those teams had stars on every line.

The 80s team would win, but wouldn't be allowed to play the following week.

I just simply love that we are able to discuss which dominant team/era was better for our great club.

Then you have the likes of St Kilda fans who just have a black and white 1 point GF victory & the 2004 "Streak" to look back on....it's glorious :)

Richmond 2019-2020* was the only team who has followed up with 2 in a row

2020* has an asterisk against it, as the most distorted, least fair fixture ever contrived by the AFL. Perhaps the biggest asterisk since the war. (Or since Essington plumbed the depths of cheating to earn their own special asterisk. In fact the Handbaggers '07* results came after their period of 'growth' with Steven Dank and Dean Robinson in charge of their strength and conditioning, not to mention their 'supplements'.)

Mine arrived yesterday.
Early Fathers day gift. :)

I am enjoying this Three-peat book so far. Would recommend.

Also, if you have not yet read a book called the Great Grand Final (1989) then do yourself a favour and get one. Insightful, informative, inspiring and balanced. An excellent read.

I just simply love that we are able to discuss which dominant team/era was better for our great club.

Then you have the likes of St Kilda fans who just have a black and white 1 point GF victory & the 2004 "Streak" to look back on....it's glorious :)
As a kid, St.Kilda's win in 1966 was the first VFL GF I knew about. They had Ditterich, Baldock, Stewart, Howell, etc, a very exciting team. I could have become a Saints fan, but luckily Peter Hudson came along, and my allegiance switched to Hawthorn. Thank you, Peter Hudson, you saved me from a football life of misery. :)

Speaking of books, I am reading Neil Balme, A Tale of Two Men. Extra interesting to me as I had a lot to do with Balmey when he coached Norwood in the 1980s. Anyway, there was coverage of Melbourne's attempt to merge with Hawthorn in 1996, but what made it interesting was reading it from a Melbourne point of view.

The author pretty much confirmed what most of us suspected, that Melbourne's intention was a takeover, not a merger, so we dodged a bullet there. He referred to Don Scott's ripping off the Hawks logo and holding up a Melbourne jumper as a moment of pure genius. I thought it may be interesting to Hawks supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back