The Top 5 Players you wouldnt want at the roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Man!!

Only joined Big Footy not long ago and this is the heaviest thread yet. :eek:

Somehow doubt anyone will change anybody elses mind.

Originally posted by DarkRider
I never thought I would see a debate comparing the relative merits of Colbert to Clayton/Cochrane. Clearly logic is not playing much of a role here. Surely this thread started with a typo....you meant to say Calthorpe Vs Clayton/Cochrane didn't you ?:eek:

You're right. Calthorpe vs Clayton AND Cochrane in a pie eating competition would be a good contest (for a couple of minutes, anyway)

Um ive got 2 points.

firstly mccartney 5, if i was a geelong supporter it'd be a lot more fun to shout it out and stick it up the roos. no i am a roos supporter who does see 22 better players than leigh on the list. sorry for loving the team more than an individual.

secondly - shermanator/dingster etc etc - no i am not hugo and - what knives?! i don't recall directly insulting "mccartney 5 & co"
or anyone else - or indirectly for that matter. unless mccartney 5 is in fact mr colbert logging in during his rehab, he shouldn't be affected. interesting that you have attacked me/carlos rather than actually producing any counter vaguely resembling a valid argument.

and its no typo darkrider. but please by all means tell us the exact positives of leigh's games and a few examples of him producing them. double points if you can avoid the word 'injury' for more than 3 sentences.

and yes that is kind of 3 points.

1. David Bourke :mad:
2. Trent Bartlett - the abovementioned's only realistic rival for the title of footy's biggest *******.
3. Dean Solomon - very very ordinary player, and a thug.
4. Scott Cummings - thank gawd Collingwood got him!
5. Nathan Eagleton - very overrated player, gets bugger all of the ball, has a shocking conversion rate, and went to the Bulldogs at a price (Montgomery & Powell).

Just to wade into this ripper ding dong,

Cmon you guys, let's admit it. As much as we want to believe that Colby is our rising star to take us through the new millenium he still as yet has not come up with the goods. He did cost us considerably and I would say that his contribution truly to the side over the past few seasons would be rivaling that of Clayton.

But in saying that remember that Shagga's first couple of seasons weren't anything to write home about either. Now look at him.

The big question is whether or not Colby can come up with the goods before injury gets the better of him. This could well be a pivotal season for Colby.

i'm in your court carlos.

colbert has done stuff all in the two seasons that he has been with us. as mentioned he has only played two genuinely good games for us in that period of time.... kouta was injured (if i remember right he didn't play for a few weeks after that game) and at geelong in a really wet day.

we gave up alot to get him... draft picks, mooney (who i also thought to be a decent player) and salary cap movement. All for two reasonable games in two years. judging by the way this season has started he doesn't look like he is going to have an impact this year either.

when colby joined us i was thinking that he was going to be a gun. then i had hoped he might be as good a utility as say scholl. then i revised and thought hopefully he might do as much as mark roberts (he had two or three knee constructions). and now i completely agree with carlos... i hope he does more for us than clayton.

before anyone questions my loyalty i love north.... and its for that reason that i question colby's role with us.

i cant believe i just read that someone thinks clayton has contributed more then colbert! that would mean colby's contribution would be a negative!
clayton uses the ball well????? kicking 30 metres up and 15 metres long is not using the ball well. and standing by yourself and running into open goals is a job colbert could do even better than clayton too. only problem is opposition players and coaches respect colbert and wouldnt allow it, cant say the same for clayton!
i hope colbert can get thru injury free to shut the doubters up, granted he has been somewhat disappointing but due to injury not ability. and you cant doubt his commitment, it will turn around for him and those bagging him will no doubt sing his praises.

sounds like we're getting like richmond supporters....eating our own.

and by the way shagga kicked something like 46 goals his first year with us!!!!

forgot to add my top 5 least wanted players....

1. gary moorcroft - so glad we didnt get him, would have been very hard to barrack for him....

2. wayne campbell - softer than butter

3. matthew knights - see wayne cambell

4. daniel harford - couldnt barrack for him either

5. andrew dimmatina (the collingwood one) - makes clayton look ok

Is Colbert a good player? Yes

Was Colbert worth Welsh, Mooney and three draft picks (which Geelong used to draft Spriggs, Bray, and Enright)? Yes

Is he worth the reputed $300-350k a year he signed for? noooooooo... never was, not even in his "prime".

When we first traded for Colbert, I knew he was a decent player, but he doesn't have a single stand out quality that sets him above other players. eg Carey is a great mark, Martyn concedes very few goals, Grant is a prolific ballwinner, Pickett and Abraham are great finishers, King and Harvey have loads of pace... while Colbert is adequate in most facets of the game, he has no single stand out quality.

To use him as a third tall defender is fine, if that's a job he can carry out effectively. But on that sort of money, I'd want more than a third tall defender who plays 10 games a year - I'd even want more than a third tall defender who plays 22 games a year.

If he was on the same sort of dough as McCartney, Burton, Porter etc it might not be as much of an issue, but when he is in the top bracket of earners and is supposedly an elite footballer (as he was supposed to be when we got him), you'd have to admit the return has been disappointing and the faith placed in him at the start may have been too optimistic.

Originally posted by Darky
Is Colbert a good player? Yes

Was Colbert worth Welsh, Mooney and three draft picks (which Geelong used to draft Spriggs, Bray, and Enright)? Yes

Is he worth the reputed $300-350k a year he signed for? noooooooo... never was, not even in his "prime".

When we first traded for Colbert, I knew he was a decent player, but he doesn't have a single stand out quality that sets him above other players. eg Carey is a great mark, Martyn concedes very few goals, Grant is a prolific ballwinner, Pickett and Abraham are great finishers, King and Harvey have loads of pace... while Colbert is adequate in most facets of the game, he has no single stand out quality.

To use him as a third tall defender is fine, if that's a job he can carry out effectively. But on that sort of money, I'd want more than a third tall defender who plays 10 games a year - I'd even want more than a third tall defender who plays 22 games a year.

If he was on the same sort of dough as McCartney, Burton, Porter etc it might not be as much of an issue, but when he is in the top bracket of earners and is supposedly an elite footballer (as he was supposed to be when we got him), you'd have to admit the return has been disappointing and the faith placed in him at the start may have been too optimistic.

Agree.

I did not respond to Carlos to argue whether or not Colbert was worth the money. I do not know how much money he is on, and until anyone does, this argument is irrelivant. I have responded to Carlos saying Colbert is no good, and that Clayton and Cochrane contribute more to the team.

I stayed away from this thread after reading the first message...

but really... FU(K what are you idiots doing??? bagging any bloke that wears the royal blue and white is just plain sad... and here you are bagging three of them... thank Crist Calthorpe and Reynolds are not still with us...

what about instead of us naming our worst players we follow the title of the thread and name "The Top 5 Players you wouldnt want at the roos"...

1... Nick Daffy
2... Evan Hewitt
3... Cameron Mooney
4... Kent Kingsley
5... Wayne Campbell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rooboy why wouldnt you want Cam Mooney at the Roos. I reckon he looks OK and I was disappointed to lose him. He had a fair degree of that old "C-word" about him - just ask Jess Sinclair.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96
I stayed away from this thread after reading the first message...

but really... FU(K what are you idiots doing??? bagging any bloke that wears the royal blue and white is just plain sad... and here you are bagging three of them... thank Crist Calthorpe and Reynolds are not still with us...

Well said Rooboy 96. And Darky your point on the salary comparison makes good sense. But why we can't defend one North player without insulting other North players, I will never understand.

Originally posted by crazyhorse
Rooboy why wouldnt you want Cam Mooney at the Roos. I reckon he looks OK and I was disappointed to lose him. He had a fair degree of that old "C-word" about him - just ask Jess Sinclair.

what has he done since he left??? besides sit half a game against us on the bench...

I cannot understand this view of Cameron Mooney. He did nothing while at North, and has done less since (besides getting rubbed out for hitting Sinclair behind play).

Oh Carlos,

You have returned. Did I miss your rantings form the "official forum? NO:eek: :p

Stop bagging MY players - you idiot. :mad:

There is quite a difference to an opinion of a relatively poor performance of ONE game - to consistently bagging a player/s.

IF, you have followed NORTH form 1975, you will doubt know, that had North had administrators of you ilk, NORTH would still be languishing at the bottom of the ladder.:eek:

Did the administrators/board "jump off" and bag the club, the coach, the players?

NO!!! They set about cultivating a WINNING formula - and that comes from instilling confidence, enthusiasm and SUPPORT.

Why don't you try that sometime.

Michele

NORTH - PREMIERS 2002

PS And as for the topic - I don't like bagging players form other teams, but I truly cannot understand how Matthew Richardson can be called a "superstar" - unless they are referring to his sulking. He is an athlete but he cannot KICK.

Shermanator/Dingster -- yes it was a slip of the tongue. Very observant of you to pick that up.

Game Set Match?! You consider picking up a reference mistake in my reply to demean the whole argument?! Far out - was this a fight the whole time? I thought we were discussing players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back