Umpiring The Umpiring Dissent Rule - Discuss Here

Do you agree with the zero tolerance on umpire abuse?

• Yes, abuse has going on for far too long and zero tolerance is the way

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • Yes Iā€™m for a stronger line but not 50 metre penalties unless itā€™s serious abuse

Votes: 73 26.1%
  • Not really, we have rules in place already about umpire contact and abuse, leave it as is.

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • No, itā€™s an emotional game and players need to let it out.

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Boooooooo, maggots

Votes: 29 10.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pay them better instead of gutting the sport of any passion. Put more sponsors on the umpire kit or use the Maccas sponsorship to pay umps more.
Removing umpire abuse = no passion in the game.

Hmm. šŸ¤”

Pay them better instead of gutting the sport of any passion. Put more sponsors on the umpire kit or use the Maccas sponsorship to pay umps more.

The league I was with dropped our base pay rates and said we were getting paid too much in relation to other leagues. Our point was that other leagues are not paying enough but was dismissed. Then when the games were played last year without crowds, pays were dropped again dramatically because "clubs won't be getting any gate fees". One of my mates had a game that week at our furthest ground in the country where he basically spent all his pay in petrol but got there and found a big crowd because they were country and not metro.

Similar situation with some young boundary umpires who get games too far away (over an hours drive). Parents didn't mind the kids taking up the boundary thinking games would be fairly local. We've had instances where kids get appointed to these distant games and the parents have said I'm not driving you that far. They tell the kids to make themselves unavailable that week and the parents will give them 60 bucks out of their own pockets because it's cheaper than petrol.

Reading some of the replies it shows how extensive the issue of umpire abuse has become because some of these posters have become so normalised to it and they see it as the start of their weekend pleasure being removed.

Whether you like it or not, the ground is treated as a workplace and leagues have responsibilities in this area. If I wandered into your office or workplace and started abusing the crap out of you, you would be straight off to your HR department. I'll give you a tip - it's unacceptable and if we've had enough, we'll walk. And that's what has been happening. For anyone that says umpires should expect to cop a bit, you're a dinosaur. I've umpired for 40 years and people that know me are aware I'm no precious princess at all. I've just had enough and the game I used to love just isn't enjoyable any more.

I've coached junior umpires over the past 5 years and have had to work harder than ever in past years convincing parents to have their kids stick with umpiring. Some of these kids are cracking umpires with potential but their confidence has been shattered.

Other season one of the dads I know well had this conversation with me:

"I was at xxx watching my son umpire U15's and there was a parent watching about 20m away. The whole time he was ripping into my son and yelling at him. My first reaction was to just go up and punch the guys lights out but I thought, bite my tongue and don't create a scene. Anyway, I worked out which kid belonged to this dad and once he dropped a mark or 2 or turned the ball over, I started to yell out at the kid. Next thing his dad turns to me and yells out - hey, he's just a kid so shut your mouth. My mate says well, you've been doing the same for past 2 quarters to my son who's umpiring. Other guy goes white in the face and skulks off to other side of the ground".

Last edited:
I've got a feeling this isn't going to have the effect the AFL thinks. I can see the crowd going absolutely mental when a s**t free is paid, and the player turns around to ask what the * was that for, only to be told that's 50. Already the crowd are pissed at the s**t free, now they're going to be really pissed.

Has any decision ever been overturned by a player going off their nut at a poor decision?

I've got no issues with this rule. I thought they played it out well in the games I watched - I saw several players express their disappoint at a decision without flailing their arms in the air and carrying on like a pork chop. No 50 was paid - respectful dialogue still seems to be allowed which is a good thing.

Has any decision ever been overturned by a player going off their nut at a poor decision?

I've got no issues with this rule. I thought they played it out well in the games I watched - I saw several players express their disappoint at a decision without flailing their arms in the air and carrying on like a pork chop. No 50 was paid - respectful dialogue still seems to be allowed which is a good thing.
Don't know about overturned, but I recall Chapman cracking the says because he wasn't getting 50, puting the ball down and leaping the 5m (was closer to 10), to which the umpire then paid the 50

I have no objection to this rule where it is warranted, as I think too many players try to umpire the game and it is a horrible look.

But 7-8 50s per game, with some for the most egregious thing, like last night where Will Powell apparently stepped a cm over the mark when running up to it because he thought thatā€™s where it was and instead of calling him back the ump went straight to 50, or where (I think it was) Ballard followed his direct opponent into the 10m exclusion zone, didnā€™t go near impacting the play, but was still pinged instead of just being told to move away, is where the AFL is going to start losing seasoned supporters. The penalty exponentially impacts the game more than the ā€˜crimeā€™ and makes neutral games hard to watch. The umpires seem to have so much power to influence the game.

I actually don't have an issue with the new interpretation per se but it does seem to be a bit of 'take, take, take'. I would like to see the outcome of the match weekly reviews made public so we can see why a contentious decision was made. These seem to be the reason people (players and spectators) get upset at umpires and a bit of openness may help educate all and sundry.

I actually don't have an issue with the new interpretation per se but it does seem to be a bit of 'take, take, take'. I would like to see the outcome of the match weekly reviews made public so we can see why a contentious decision was made. These seem to be the reason people (players and spectators) get upset at umpires and a bit of openness may help educate all and sundry.

I'm old enough to remember What's Your Decision on World of Sport. It was great - an umpire would come along and explain why they believe a free kick was or wasn't warranted. No-one is perfect. Umpires are going to make mistakes (just as players do). They have to make a decision in the heat of the game - it's a tough gig.

This one is great - not only for the analysis but the fashion. Love that Peter Cameron admits he got it wrong in the first decision

Last edited:
What's next? Supporters getting thrown out of games for yelling out "maggot" at the footy??
It's insanity. A 50m was paid on the weekend because a player laughed after watching the free kick replay on the big screen!?! Can umpires possibly get any more insecure? Every year the AFL tries harder to be more pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm old enough to remember What's Your Decision on World of Sport. It was great - an umpire would come along and explain why they believe a free kick was or wasn't warranted. No-one is perfect. Umpires are going to make mistakes (just as players do). They have to make a decision in the heat of the game - it's a tough gig.

This one is great - not only for the analysis but the fashion. Love that Peter Cameron admits he got it wrong in the first decision

The AFL used to do the same a few years back on the website.

Reading some of the replies it shows how extensive the issue of umpire abuse has become because some of these posters have become so normalised to it and they see it as the start of their weekend pleasure being removed.

Found one;

What's next? Supporters getting thrown out of games for yelling out "maggot" at the footy??
It's insanity. A 50m was paid on the weekend because a player laughed after watching the free kick replay on the big screen!?! Can umpires possibly get any more insecure? Every year the AFL tries harder to be more pathetic.

FMD, these umpires need to take a cup of concrete and toughen the fu** up.

Weak as piss, time to stay home if a giggle of disbelief is enough to send you over the edge. Making umpires untouchable will not have the effect on the minor leagues like the afl is expecting.

Nah, I'm not the one offended by players not being allowed to shout at umpires.
Find a dictionary and learn to distinguish between laughter and shouting before you get thrown out of a comedy gig.

Back