The umps getting booed off the field

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Laughable. Got what they deserved but laughable to think it was coming from the Eagles' supporters.

What game were they watching? The maggots in green helped keep them in the game all night and they were filthy with a correct decision that finally went our way??? :rolleyes:

Thanks for not playing our song at the end - the booing was music enough to our ears.

What a bunch of sooks, would like to know if they deliberately didn't play our song.

What a bunch of sooks, would like to know if they deliberately didn't play our song.

Thought I heard it playing during Browny's interview, or was I hearind things?

Hilarious... What footy game were they watching? We got absolutely mauled by the umps. Karma is a bitch.

Nah it was definitely played at the ground, but the booing was just that loud, it was incredible. Almost as loud as they were cheering earlier in the third.

Umpiring decisions went mostly the Eagles way tonight.

Brown's mark / match winning goal was 50/50 at best. Probably the right decision made.

Disgusting to see a section of fans stay around, stand and applaud the team as they were walking off. They are the same people who stand up and applaud Sex and the City 2 in the cinemas no doubt.

I actually thought the boo's were directed at our team moreso than the umpires.

There was a heap of times 2nite when I thought ' there are plenty of times that would be paid a kick', & I think it was a better game for it. Good to see them consistent at the end.

I was at the game and they did play the song... you could hardly hear it, but they did play it.

Had to bite my tounge on the way out listening to the Weagles fans carry on about the umps. :rolleyes:

The umps seem to have it in for Rich. There was one interpretation for when he was tackled and then they used a different interpretation for whenever he tackled anybody. The outcome was always the same an eagles free kick. I suppose when 15 plays 16 you are going to get the three worst umpires and surely we got the three worst tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we're last, haven't won at home in 4 months, and lost due to a goal kicked with 25s left due to a free kick that was a little dubious, we're going to be pissed off

i booed the umps, but now I've calmed down realised it wasnt a free and we did get the rub of the green

I very rarely bag the umpires but they were terrible tonight. It was as if they were on the payroll of the the West Coast. The first 50/50 decision to go our way was Browny at the end of the evening. But in saying that, if you are the 2 worst teams in the comp you are likely to get the 3 worst umpires!

we're last, haven't won at home in 4 months, and lost due to a goal kicked with 25s left due to a free kick that was a little dubious, we're going to be pissed off

i booed the umps, but now I've calmed down realised it wasnt a free and we did get the rub of the green

Yeah....I can relate to that actually.

Over the years ,I've been to the odd game or two where in the heat of battle I could swear that we have been robbed and cheated over and over by the dirty little maggots...and I have carried on and let them know about it in a most vociferous manner.

Only to go home, watch the replay and realize that most of the time they have got it right:eek:

Great post. In the heat of the moment sometimes you can be a bit one eyed as a supporter, good to see after watching it afterwards without the emition involved u can come on here and say it was all good.

We can't allow the game to become so soft that you get a free paid against u for being stronger in a contest and keeping ur feet. It was a nudge in the side, the defender lost his balance and fell. Unlucky, but not a free kick.

Which statistic do I believe?

Realfooty has the free kick count at 30 WC / 12 BL, AFL.com.au has 24 WC / 12 BL?

Doesn't matter which one you believe.

Rich gace 5 away without getting one and Reddan gave 4 away without being on the receiving end once either.

I posted in the gameday thread last week about the lopsided nature of the free kick counts against us all season. Yep, I was bitter at the time, but I have been bitter about this for a while. So in the last two weeks, afl.com.au has our free kick count at 24 -49.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18542006&postcount=286

I know that there are things such as 'home town' free kicks, it is just that I have not seen them live for such a long time.:p

Have we done something to piss off the umpiring group as a whole??:confused:;)

I think one of the problems is that we have a lot of 50/50 frees paid against us, but some of the problem is that we have become a bit sloppy out on the field and we have players putting themselves in positions where they are likely to be pinged. It's frustrating when you get done on a 50/50 call, particularly when the opposition doesn't, but we could probably give away a few less free kicks each week with some tidier efforts.

For instance, we seem to get done each week for unnecessary "in the back" decisions when players have gone in with a sloppy tackling technique, such as when a player is on the ground.

I could be wrong, but I also feel that this year we've given quite a few frees for "holding the man" or "in the back" largely because our players have been out-positioned. Sometimes you are better off giving away a "professional free kick", but some weeks we have seemed to give them away too often, which suggests that our players simply need to work harder to get in a better position to begin with.

Also, we seem to be getting run down and caught holding the ball more often as well as having the ball dragged in to be pinged for holding the ball (when being on top of it). Our lack of pace might affect this area, but I also think it's about awareness and decision making as well as the ability (or inability) of our players to keep their arms free in a tackle to get off a last minute disposal. But then again, I guess you need to have the supporting runners to be able to give off that possession in the last second before being tackled, which we just haven't had this year.

I suppose when a team isn't playing good and you end up being caught behind your opponent more often, run into dead-ends when you have the ball, out-positioned and chasing opponents, there's more chance that decisions will go against you, even the 50/50 ones.

The Rischitelli "Michael, wait, Michael, wait, don't do that" or similar, stopping him from a quick kick forward, taking any advantage away from the free paid to him.

Very poor effort.

I suppose when a team isn't playing good and you end up being caught behind your opponent more often, run into dead-ends when you have the ball, out-positioned and chasing opponents, there's more chance that decisions will go against you, even the 50/50 ones.

In general terms, I agree.

But when 15 is playing 16, surely the 50/50's should go........well............50/50!

Now, having said that, I am making the "confession" that I didn't even watch last night's game.....not one second, not even one tiny little peek at the tellie.

I played cards at home with some friends instead.

Before anyone berates me for being a turncoat or a fair weather supporter, that is the first game in about 8 years that I completely "missed".

Brilliant strategical move it was too!

All I have to do now, is completely ignore them for the rest of the season and we certain to finish off the season with 3 more wins.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back