Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

far out the carlton love in this thread is better than even my most optimistic hopes

keep it up fam
History says that there will be 2 changes in the top 4, 1 from the bottom 5-8 and 1 from outside the eight. Looks like Carlton, Bulldogs, Port or Suns are the most likely so you have to pick one. Last year it was Collingwood on the back of close wins & Carlton imploding but I’m sure you’re well aware.

Tigers added to the midfield, but it's their defensive structure that is a worry.
I'm a bit surprised by this. Generally adding to your midfield adds to your defensive structures, but also the players have not changed. Still very good are Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad, Rioli, Baker. Bolta will only get better, Gibcus is a great prospect and Tarrant has not lost much over the years.

OK, now that the trade period is done and dusted, I can't see how the ladder can be any different to this:

1. Collingwood
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Port Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. Melbourne
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Fremantle
9. Richmond
10. Gold Coast
11. Carlton
12. St Kilda
13. Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. GWS
16. West Coast
17. North Melbourne
18. Hawthorn

OK, now that the trade period is done and dusted, I can't see how the ladder can be any different to this:

1. Collingwood
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Port Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. Melbourne
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Fremantle
9. Richmond
10. Gold Coast
11. Carlton
12. St Kilda
13. Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. GWS
16. West Coast
17. North Melbourne
18. Hawthorn

Changed tact? Had Carlton 18th didn't you

Pies won't finish top 4, bookmark that

1.Brisbane: Clear winners of the trade period imo, Dunkley takes some weight off of Neale and Gunston takes pressure off Cameron and Daniher. With both of these they also get the no.1 draft pick, couldn't ask for much more. Although if they underperform again surely it's bye bye Fagan. (1-4)

2.Melbourne: Still a genuinely fantastic side, their forward line still has question marks which puts their flag credentials at risk. How grundy and gawn perform together continues to be one of the most interesting questions going into next season. (1-5)

3. Richmond: Another trade period winner, addressed their biggest need. Having lynch for a full year and dusty possibly recovering puts them in contention. (although it's equally as possible dusty continues his fall in which case Richmond probably finish 4-7). (1-7)

4. Geelong: I'm unsure whether they'll still have the hunger going into next year after their ever allusive flag chase finally comes to an end, doubtless they continue to have a quality list. (1-7)

5. Carlton: This list is good enough, a coleman and brownlow medalist. 2022 seemed to come undone due to injuries, if they stay fit they should be fighting for top 4, finals is a minimum expectation. (2-8)

6. Freo: Another top 4 aspirant, unsure if they filled their forward line needs in the off-season (especially with losing lobb) and a lot falls on Jackson to deliver. Fyfe coming back fit could be massive, though i'm unsure if he can. (4-10)

7. Collingwood: Lot's of close games which you wouldn't expect them to win again, a harder draw, older players continue to age and no more new coach bounce. Although with their final's performance you would be hopeful they can recreate a top 4 finish, one of the harder teams to predict next year. A higher ceiling than fremantle, but a lower floor. (2-12)

8. Sydney: History shows getting smashed in a grand final results in a disappointing follow up year. However they are still young and could easily place a few spots above this. (4-12)

9. Port Adelaide: Probably underperformed at the start of last year which cost them their finals spot, they were 1st in 2020 and 2nd in 2021 and they could bounce back with a slightly easier draw. (6-12)

10. Bulldogs: Fully fit bont should make a difference, however losing your first placed bnf is never a good thing. I expect they finish similar to last year, fighting for finals. (6-12)

11. Suns: losing rankine is probably offset by gaining King, a young core which should continue to improve. Another finals aspirant, however their disappointing offseason has me ranking them below the other teams fighting for the 8. (6-12)

12. Saints: An average team, maybe ross the boss can take them back to the soaring heights of 6th however it's equally as likely they have another disappointing season. (6-14)

13. Essendon: I really don't know what to make of the dons after their disappointing year, another team I find hard to judge. (7-15)

14. Adelaide: if we were judging based on forward lines we probably make finals, unfortunately 2/3 of our team are still 1-2 years away. (9-14)

15. WCE: Senior players were immensely disappointing, however they may come back fitter and less covid interrupted. (14-18)

16. GWS: A poor year, followed up by a poor offseason. Not looking good. (15-18)

17. North: It's highly unlikely for a team to get 3 wooden spoons in a row, I probably would've put them 18th if it wasn't for the offseason of another team. (15-18)

18. Hawks: You simply cannot cut the amount of experience they did without severe impact to your results, however I suspect this is by design. (15-18)
Good analysis, well done.

looks like 11 teams with a genuine chance next year, clearly better than the bottom 7.

1. Collingwood
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Port Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. Melbourne
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Fremantle
9. Richmond
10. Gold Coast
11. Carlton
12. St Kilda
13. Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. GWS
16. West Coast
17. North Melbourne
18. Hawthorn

Yes, one thing is for certain - you can't see.

After 23 rounds

1. Geelong
2. Melbourne
3. Richmond
4. Brisbane
5. Sydney
6. Collingwood
7. Carlton
8. Footscray
9. Port Adelaide
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. Adelaide
13. Hawthorn
14. Essendon
15. GWS
16. Tasmania
17. St. Kilda
18. West Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After 23 rounds

1. Geelong
2. Melbourne
3. Richmond
4. Brisbane
5. Sydney
6. Collingwood
7. Carlton
8. Footscray
9. Port Adelaide
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. Adelaide
13. Hawthorn
14. Essendon
15. GWS
16. Tasmania
17. St. Kilda
18. West Coast

You missed Darwin in 9th if you want to play that game.

Yep, something your mob could only dream of. That and actual primetime games.

It's okay though really, there's plenty of people living in Hobart.
You’re bragging about 60,000 members in a 2 team state whilst being in finals contention for multiple years.

Norf have 50,000 members and have won 9 games in 3 years.

🤣🤣🤣

60,000 members brav, even in a disappointing season.

There's at least 5 other clubs more likely to relocate before our name is even considered.

None of the existing clubs will be relocated, the AFL want more teams not less.

Would be nice if our Johnny come lately SA friends stopped posting about removing clubs with far more history in this league.

You’re bragging about 60,000 members in a 2 team state whilst being in finals contention for multiple years.

Norf have 50,000 members and have won 9 games in 3 years.

🤣🤣🤣
Maybe think about how many of those members show up to the actual games first.

I Ain't bragging bro, just stating the factual truth that if anyone's getting relocated out of the two of us than it's gonna be you. And that comes all the way down to your venue deal and attendances, as well as the lack of ability to make any local membership expansion with the amount of other more popular teams that you're wedged between.

I'm surprised that your lot still get so easily triggered by the singular word of 'Tasmania'

You think I'm the only one making jokes about it? Thought you'd all be used to it by now.

Maybe think about how many of those members show up to the actual games first.

I Ain't bragging bro, just stating the factual truth that if anyone's getting relocated out of the two of us than it's gonna be you. And that comes all the way down to your venue deal and attendances, as well as the lack of ability to make any local membership expansion with the amount of other more popular teams that you're wedged between.

I'm surprised that your lot still get so easily triggered by the singular word of 'Tasmania'

You think I'm the only one making jokes about it? Thought you'd all be used to it by now.
Nothing better then one irrelevant club potting another irrelevant club about being irrelevant.

None of the existing clubs will be relocated, the AFL want more teams not less.

Would be nice if our Johnny come lately SA friends stopped posting about removing clubs with far more history in this league.
They won't lose teams by relocating them, that's the point of relocation.

The licences can be maintained all the same, the simple difference is expanding in a location that actually has longevity.

And I'm not sure what type of 'history' you're eluding to. Port have plenty as well, which all of you over there seem to deny us our ownership of.

I guess that's fine, but if that's the logic we're using, than nothing before 1990 should even matter in this conversation for ANY team. That's the year the national competition was established.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back