The West vs The West Coast Eagles Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

For many years, the purple parade have bandied us with being soft and in with “Channel Eagle” and “The Worst Australian” newspapers.

Clearly something is amiss right now with that union. I’ll update the thread with the various sledging on both sides.

Tonight’s comes in regards to the report from The West that Simpson has been given three months off as soon as the season finishes as per the usually very reliable Ryan Daniels.

Now, I’d share the start of the article for you, but the club posted a strong rebuttal to that in their twitter.

IMG_5573.jpeg

It is unusual that they’ve deleted the article but Rhino is a professional so would have corrected any error. He is believed to be on good ground with the club.

I didn’t see what the West ran but it sounds like the report is basically correct given what the club has told other outlets.

“Adam will coach out the remainder of the season,” a club spokesman said.

“He is up for the challenge and keen to improve and develop our players and game plan.

“When our season ends he will be encouraged to take an extended break to refresh.”

It seems that the division occurred when the club’s season started to circle the drain.

The Snitch’s article from April 15

My Snitch-Weagles told me staff were warned there would be consequences for any news on injuries or anything else for that matter finding its way to the West’s HQ in Osborne Park.

There were even suggestions the Snitch might have a chair in there.

I didn’t see what the West ran but it sounds like the report is basically correct given what the club has told other outlets.

“Adam will coach out the remainder of the season,” a club spokesman said.

“He is up for the challenge and keen to improve and develop our players and game plan.

“When our season ends he will be encouraged to take an extended break to refresh.”

I think the three months off part and the underlying rationale that he’s burnt out is the part the club are vehimently denying

Clearly they didn’t want it to be public knowledge after 10 rounds but it’s out there now. I don’t really understand why the club wouldn’t come out and say something more substantive. Like, yes we’ll be encouraging Simmo to recharge over the offseason given the well-understood pressures on senior coaches etc, but we back him in. But this is the kind of communication we’ve come to expect from the club

I’m pleased to see The West running a campaign against the Eagles. It was well and truly overdue.

Some of the content has been pretty silly (e.g. reporting the social media posts of random fans) but at least the club finally gets to hear views contrary to the excuses and denialism circulating in the echo chamber.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pleased to see The West running a campaign against the Eagles. It was well and truly overdue.

Some of the content has been pretty silly (e.g. reporting the social media posts of random fans) but at least the club finally gets to hear views contrary to the excuses and denialism circulating in the echo chamber.
I’d be pleased if it were constructive criticism instead of boomer takes from Peter Sumich, Facebook warriors and the quote a week from random ex players who aren’t remotely involved or interested. Considering how garbage the club is right now, it shouldn’t be that hard.

It’s getting messy.

I have no qualms sharing the whole article here as half of it is an opinion from another forum.

West Coast Eagles board divided between Trevor Nisbett and Adam Simpson as club crisis deepens​

Glen QuartermainThe West Australian
Thu, 25 May 2023 10:38AM
Comments
Glen Quartermain

Adam Simpson and Trevor Nisbett.
Adam Simpson and Trevor Nisbett. Credit: WAN

There is a board split at the West Coast Eagles over whether coach Adam Simpson or chief executive Trevor Nisbett should depart the club as on-field issues reach crisis point.
Sources have told The West Australian one camp want Simpson out, while the other is advocating for a managed end to Nisbett’s long-term future.
It comes after shenanigans at the Eagles last night, with mixed messaging from the club over whether the coach needed a two-to-three month break at the end of the season.

It is believed Simpson does not want a break and is willing to plough ahead at the end of the season.
Sources say the information was leaked to the media in a strategic move to accelerate Simpson’s exit.
West Coast fans want a voice at the club through the board.

EAGLES IN CRISISWest Coast fan forum wants a bigger voice in club affairs​

Glen Quartermain

West Coast need to look at trades while the Dockers need to lock in their stars according to Peter Sumich.

OPINION
PETER SUMICHSUMA SAYS: Time for Eagles to pull the trigger on trades​

Peter Sumich

A club spokesman released a statement on Wednesday night after the Simpson story was leaked.
AFL Match Centre
“Adam will coach out the remainder of the season,” the spokesman said.
Adam Simpson talks with [PLAYERCARD]Jayden Hunt[/PLAYERCARD] during last weekend’s loss to Hawthorn.
Adam Simpson talks with Jayden Hunt during last weekend’s loss to Hawthorn. Credit: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos/AFL Photos via Getty Images

The club later put out a conflicting statement on their social media.
“Reports that senior coach Adam Simpson has been asked to take a three-month break at the end of the season are inaccurate. No such discussion has taken place,” the report said.
The contrasting statements from the club underline the division.
It follows demands from Eagles fans who feel “disconnected” from their beloved club for a seat at the board table as West Coast languishes at the bottom of the AFL ladder for a second straight season.
A number of administrators of the West Coast Eagles For Life fan forum, which has almost 9000 members, believe the time is right for fans to either cast a vote for the directors or have a seat on the board themselves.

The eight Eagles board members are currently voted in by the the club’s owner, the West Australian Football Commission.
The fans’ demand follows a long-running campaign by inaugural West Coast coach Ron Alexander for both West Coast and Fremantle members to have the power to elect their club boards.

Leading property developer and West Coast foundation member Nigel Satterley last month urged the Eagles to “listen to their members”.
Eagles chair Paul Fitzpatrick on Monday said the board was sticking with 2018 premiership coach Simpson, who is contracted to the end of 2025, in the face of an unprecedented run of injuries.
He also said Nisbett was the right person to lead the club in dark times and they had made no decision on his future.
Trevor Nisbett has been West Coast’s CEO since 1999.
Trevor Nisbett has been West Coast’s CEO since 1999. Credit: Stefan Gosatti/Stefan Gosatti
Nisbett, who has been CEO since 1999, is tied to the club to the end of next year.
Dual premiership player Glen Jakovich called for Simpson to move on after Sunday’s loss, while fellow West Coast great Peter Sumich and decorated VFL and WAFL player and former barrister and Eagles board member Brian Sierakowski have both called for an independent review of the club.
Other luminaries, such as former WAFC and Eagles chair Murray McHenry, have called for a review of the club. McHenry said the current Eagles board should run the review.
Former WA Football Commission chair and Eagles chaplain Neale Fong also reaffirmed calls for West Coast to launch a review into the club’s entire operations — including the board.
Fong, who was a WAFC commissioner from 1999 to 2010 including eight years as the chair, backed Fitzpatrick to lead the investigation. He said that the WAFC should play no part in the review, instead it should be run by the board.
WAFC chair Wayne Martin said the owners of the Eagles licence saw no reason to change the board.”

People do understand the West has been owned for a while now by the Herald Sun. It was trash to begin with but has reached new levels of click bait s**t and print articles designed to make people angry.
Anthony De Ceglie from the Daily Telegraph is the editor which tells you all you need to know about the trash he was positioning the West to become.

Lol. So the head of the media department sent out the statement that Simpson would be asked to take a break then the media department tweeted out a statement that that never happened.

Things are going brilliantly right now, hey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back