The what if thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell me you didn't watch the game, without telling me you didn't watch the game.
Sat just behind the cheer squad, although I did duck out to the engravers at half time. šŸ˜

They did as you got a couple of freebies in front of goals. Eg Buddy 50.
Tell me you didn't watch the game, without telling me you didn't watch the game.

None of the Freo players infringed in the 2013 Grand Final or the 2015 Prelim Final :drunk:

Every free kick and 50 metre penalty that Hawthorn received was charity. :drunk::drunk:

Every free kick and 50m penalty that Fremantle received was well overdue. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Freo fans aren't embarrassing dickheads either for crying about this s**t. Totally justified. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

The best team lost. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk: The AFL rigged it for Hawthorn :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Hawthorn should hand over their illegitimate cups so Freo can fill their empty trophy cabinet :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Last edited:
Neither Richmond nor Carlton needed Judd at the time. These 2 teams finished last and second last in 2007. How TF was Judd going to lift them into premiership contention alone?

Spot on, but given the opportunity to recruit a 24 year old Chris Judd every club would've taken it.

Carlton needed him more. As LOLworthy as Richmond were in the 90s and 2000s they weren't as bad as Carlton post draft sanctions. Getting a marquee player in Judd was as much about giving them relevance as success. Best player in the comp from a year ago + 3 x #1 picks sounds great on paper.

It's not a huge stretch to suggest that the recruitment of 3 votes C.Judd saved Carlton from going under.

Yeah, we overpaid from a purely football perspective. But worth every cent for keeping the club afloat.

It's not a huge stretch to suggest that the recruitment of 3 votes C.Judd saved Carlton from going under.

Yeah, we overpaid from a purely football perspective. But worth every cent for keeping the club afloat.
There's no way Carlton would've gone under. If Richmond didn't go under in 1990, another big club like Carlton wasn't going to either. Not with the AFL flush with funds at the time.

The only defence I would accept from Carlton supporters about the recruitment of Judd is you f'd up just about all your other very early picks and you were odds on doing the same with 3 & 20 in 2007. But Kennedy?? OUCH!!!

Disagree. AFL were looking for Melbourne clubs to relocate or fold. Not such a stretch it could have been Carlton.

And what early picks did we stuff up in those days? It was after 2008 we really started picking badly.

The bigger issue then was we kept trading out early picks.

And yeah, Jk hurts. I still maintain it was worth the price.

Disagree. AFL were looking for Melbourne clubs to relocate or fold. Not such a stretch it could have been Carlton.

And what early picks did we stuff up in those days? It was after 2008 we really started picking badly.

The bigger issue then was we kept trading out early picks.

And yeah, Jk hurts. I still maintain it was worth the price.

If you think Carlton were ever gonna relocate or fold, you don't know anything about Carlton.

Carlton is/was untouchable

Its unfathomable to maintain St Kilda, Melbourne, Bulldogs, North and Hawthorn ahead of Carlton. Carlton is part of the fabric of the VFL Competition that the AFL'S heritage is inherited from.

Carlton was an absolute rabble and the worst that would happen? AFL would have just taken ownership of the club, paid its debts and kept it in the comp the way it owns the Giants and sun's.

You can't get rid of Carlton, impossible.

If you think Carlton were ever gonna relocate or fold, you don't know anything about Carlton.

Carlton is/was untouchable

Its unfathomable to maintain St Kilda, Melbourne, Bulldogs, North and Hawthorn ahead of Carlton. Carlton is part of the fabric of the VFL Competition that the AFL'S heritage is inherited from.

Carlton was an absolute rabble and the worst that would happen? AFL would have just taken ownership of the club, paid its debts and kept it in the comp the way it owns the Giants and sun's.

You can't get rid of Carlton, impossible.
And if they owned it, they could have moved it.

The 'what if' for Carlton for mine is how would things have panned out had they given up pick 1 in the 2007 draft - whey were adamant they would not. If you assume they give up picks 1, 3 & 20 instead of 3 & 20 and Kennedy then it changes a number of things.

Carlton had really 6 good years of Judd, 2008-13. Kennedy started to hit his straps in 09/10 and was a 60 goal a year forward from 2011. Carlton had two years of Judd and Fev together and Fev kicked 99 and 89 goals. After that Walker had one good year, Waite was Mr Potential, Betts and Garlett kicked goals etc. but there was no one to genuinely lead the forward line. With Kennedy you get a 2-3 year window with late prime Judd plus a star key forward target. Without pick 1, you don't have Kruezer and maybe Sam Jacobs stays and plays 200 games for the Blues instead of 13. Or maybe you still bring in Warnock and he leaves anyway.

Carlton's 2011 side that won 14 games + Kennedy and Jacobs in place of Kruezer is better. Good enough to challenge Geelong/Collingwood in 2011, Haw/Syd in 2012/13 no, but with another move or two who knows...

Carlton were terrible from 2002-2007 inclusive, but in 2008 the Blues showed improvement to mid ladder, and this continued in 2009 and 2010 when a gallant Carlton were far from disgraced in narrow Elimination Final losses to Brisbane and Sydney respectively played at the Lions and Swans home grounds.

In 2011, Carlton won their first final in a decade by thrashing Essendon in an Elimination Final, then would play the West Coast Eagles in Perth in a semi final. This game was one of the best finals in years, a high scoring, high standing thriller which saw the Eagles home by 3 points in a match that so easily gone the other way, and though beaten Carlton looked like a team going places. Then the Blues development stalled. The team was inconsistent in 2012 and narrowly missed the finals which saw the Blues replace Brett Ratten with Mick Malthouse, and while the Blues did make the finals in 2013 and beat Richmond in an EF, it was by default as Essendon were removed from the finals. In 2014 Carlton slid down the ladder to 7-15, and in a disastrous 2015 season took home the wooden spoon.

I have often wondered what would have happened if that 2011 final against the Eagles had gone the other way and Carlton had made the PF against Geelong. Short term I have no doubt. The Cats would have comfortably accounted for the Blues in the Preliminary as they did with the Eagles before going on to win the Premiership, but would the Blues still have stalled in their development before falling to the bottom of the ladder by 2015?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton were terrible from 2002-2007 inclusive, but in 2008 the Blues showed improvement to mid ladder, and this continued in 2009 and 2010 when a gallant Carlton were far from disgraced in narrow Elimination Final losses to Brisbane and Sydney respectively played at the Lions and Swans home grounds.

In 2011, Carlton won their first final in a decade by thrashing Essendon in an Elimination Final, then would play the West Coast Eagles in Perth in a semi final. This game was one of the best finals in years, a high scoring, high standing thriller which saw the Eagles home by 3 points in a match that so easily gone the other way, and though beaten Carlton looked like a team going places. Then the Blues development stalled. The team was inconsistent in 2012 and narrowly missed the finals which saw the Blues replace Brett Ratten with Mick Malthouse, and while the Blues did make the finals in 2013 and beat Richmond in an EF, it was by default as Essendon were removed from the finals. In 2014 Carlton slid down the ladder to 7-15, and in a disastrous 2015 season took home the wooden spoon.

I have often wondered what would have happened if that 2011 final against the Eagles had gone the other way and Carlton had made the PF against Geelong. Short term I have no doubt. The Cats would have comfortably accounted for the Blues in the Preliminary as they did with the Eagles before going on to win the Premiership, but would the Blues still have stalled in their development before falling to the bottom of the ladder by 2015?
Basically a one player team, as soon as Judd declined so did Carlton.

Too many busts or poor development of players from the 2010-2012 drafts.
Matthew Watson, Patrick Mc Carthy, Luke Mitchell, Andrew McInness, Josh Bootsma, Dylan Buckley, Troy Menzel, Tom Temay, Nick Graham.

Too many busts or poor development of players from the 2010-2012 drafts.
Matthew Watson, Patrick Mc Carthy, Luke Mitchell, Andrew McInness, Josh Bootsma, Dylan Buckley, Troy Menzel, Tom Temay, Nick Graham.
Sad reading there, but I wouldn't include McInnes in that list. Was looking the goods, but got crueled by injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back