Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to say, people seem to make more money, but can't buy a house on a single income like you used to, complain they work more unfavourable hours. Most of the things we take for granted that are to a worker's advantage were hard won by unions and have been eroded over the last 30 years, in particular.
Major change over the last 30 years is electrical goods and clothes cost a lot less because of China everything else went up,so people see more clothes and gadgets and think they are winning,but they are getting screwed everywhere else.

Sorry didn't take any. Half of them dress like it's a biohazard outside and the other half dress like they're on the catwalks of Milan or Paris. They are constantly either shouting at each other or on their phones or both. They keep getting bussed in and it's like a flock of geese or something. Comical. Their men carry their handbags a lot of the time too which are either stupidly big or stupidly small and glittery. They're like manga come to life.

Subtle racist- Asians have no concept of "indoor voices" (yes i know you are outside tho)- everyday I walk past my neighbours apartment and they are screaming at each other, but its not aggressive at all. So ******* relieved I do not live directly next to them or above them.

Kid doing work experience at my work comes to his induction and his dad comes along with him, does all the talking etc.

Seriously, if a teen isn’t old enough to go to these things along, maybe they aren’t quite ready for work experience.

Would srsly hate to be that guys gf or wife in the future..

Subtle racist- Asians have no concept of "indoor voices" (yes i know you are outside tho)- everyday I walk past my neighbours apartment and they are screaming at each other, but its not aggressive at all. So ******* relieved I do not live directly next to them or above them.

Would srsly hate to be that guys gf or wife in the future..
It's probably not even his fault. He'd maybe go alright if he went alone but It would be hard to speak over a parent.

Also, and could go in what shits you thread too, seems very common for them to be on their phones in public on speaker phone so not only can you hear them shouting but you also get the pleasure of listening to the other person shouting back.

Kid doing work experience at my work comes to his induction and his dad comes along with him, does all the talking etc.

Seriously, if a teen isn’t old enough to go to these things along, maybe they aren’t quite ready for work experience.

A candidate rocked up to her interview last week with her 26 year old son. She was the one going for the job :tearsofjoy:

A candidate rocked up to her interview last week with her 26 year old son. She was the one going for the job :tearsofjoy:

Why? Just seems a weird thing to do. Unless he was some sort of carer etc which you didn't know about. But you mean he just gave her a lift and waited outside/in the office or came into the interview?

On the same theme job interviews. Don't get them. Most are clearly scripted and the result has been decided long before hand (a preferred candidate, mate, or someone who has already worked there/in that industry) so why even bother? Just appoint who you want and save everyone the drama.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Merv Hughes doing at the UFC ? ;)

0a97493cdc1afd2a03a363ba7afd98f0

I'm not going to give up my job now until I retire. Well, not unless I get an offer too good to refuse. I just couldn't be bothered going through that whole job application process again. It's soul destroying.

Last edited:
I'm not going to give up my job now until I retire. Well, not unless I get an offer too good to reuse. I just couldn't be bothered going through that whole job application process again. It's soul destroying.
My man!

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hard to say, people seem to make more money, but can't buy a house on a single income like you used to, complain they work more unfavourable hours. Most of the things we take for granted that are to a worker's advantage were hard won by unions and have been eroded over the last 30 years, in particular.

Not being able to afford a house on a single income (still doable, but not median to median) isn't a 30 year phenomenon. I'm probably only a couple of years too young to be living on Easy St, houses were not particularly expensive in the early 2000s. The average RBA cash rate in the 1990s was 7.2%, dropping to 5.3% in the 2000s and 2.7% in the 2010s. Don't get me wrong, I don't think cheap credit and inflated asset prices benefits society but paying 4% interest on $500,000 is the same as paying 8% on $250,000. If and when the 4% goes back up 8% is when it all falls down.

I think people see what they want to see to some degree. Certain things are worse now than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago but it wasn't always rainbows and lollipops during the 80s and 90s either. I mean people are cheering on the looming price crash (and have been for at least a decade) but it's unlikely property prices tumble 20-30% or more without flow on effects (i.e. unemployment and wages). I also don't think declining union membership is a major factor in housing affordability.

IMO unions effectively become increasingly redundant over time. You are right about the things we take for granted being won by won by unions, but many people have moved on from the days of 'us vs them' industrial relations. But people are still free to join a union (or not) as they should be.

I don't understand why the biggest sport in the world doesn't have proper timekeeping. One guy looking at his watch and then deciding when he thinks the game should end is amateur.

Soccer should have a clock like rugby which counts down and if there is a stoppage the referee blows his whistle and the clock is stopped. Play to a siren then once the ball goes out or a free kick is given game over. Every time there's a tournament game you see 90 minutes up and 3 minutes added on and then 2 and a half of those minutes are eaten up by bullshit time wasting and the final whistle goes at 93.15 or something.

I follow soccer quite closely and I've always been taken by the fact that I can't remember a game where a team is in possession and is chasing a result has the whistle blown on them right as they're about to make a forward thrust, cross the ball into the box or whatever. If it's ever happened, I haven't seen it. It may as well be rugby where the game is ended by putting it into touch, the ref gives the team their last ditch chance regardless of what their watch is saying and only once they turn it over then the whistle goes immediately.

And how many games do we see with a minute added at the end of 45? That's like two throw ins and a goal kick/corner kick, in an half. Or the regulation three minutes at the end of 90? With six players taking about 90 seconds each to do their curtain calls with their adoring fans, without even considering every other stoppage that occurs in three quarters of an hour. Give me a break.

Last edited:
Driving through the northeastern suburbs yesterday and found myself behind a ute with a charming 'Two in the pink, one in the stink' bumper sticker. On closer inspection, it was actually two bumper stickers, with another of a hand, demonstrating the manoeuvre.

Now...I'm thinking, "OK what sort of prize f***wit decides that's the message they want to send on their back windscreen?" and I would have happily bet $50 that the driver was a virgin and $1000 that he was single. Only then a head turns in the passenger seat...female. And while you can't be certain from that angle, she didn't seem too bad at all. So now the question turns to...what sort of girl gets around with a boyfriend in a ute with a 'Two in the pink, one in the stink' sticker plastered on the back windscreen?

Driving through the northeastern suburbs yesterday and found myself behind a ute with a charming 'Two in the pink, one in the stink' bumper sticker. On closer inspection, it was actually two bumper stickers, with another of a hand, demonstrating the manoeuvre.

Now...I'm thinking, "OK what sort of prize f***wit decides that's the message they want to send on their back windscreen?" and I would have happily bet $50 that the driver was a virgin and $1000 that he was single. Only then a head turns in the passenger seat...female. And while you can't be certain from that angle, she didn't seem too bad at all. So now the question turns to...what sort of girl gets around with a boyfriend in a ute with a 'Two in the pink, one in the stink' sticker plastered on the back windscreen?
Her dad must be chuffed when he comes around for sunday roast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back