Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the price of your self respect? And the disruption to your life?

IIRC there was a girl on one of the dating shows (The Bachelor, Farmer Wants A Wife) who quit her $100,000 per annum job to participate in the show - and was out in the first week.
A friend of mine did Farmer Wants A Wife. She was genuinely in it for the relationship, but she certainly didn’t mind the attention either

Geez I couldn’t think of anything worse than Survivor, would do my head in, so would Big Brother. I reckon I’d be ok on Idol but I can’t sing ha ha

Being on Survivor would be alright I reckon. Something for everyone.

hot-survivors.jpg

At the price of your self respect? And the disruption to your life?

IIRC there was a girl on one of the dating shows (The Bachelor, Farmer Wants A Wife) who quit her $100,000 per annum job to participate in the show - and was out in the first week.
For the most part many of these shows are filmed over a month, tops. Most should be able achieve leave I would think.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Survivor has a rep of playing with a fairly straight bat, doesn't it? It's not supposed to do much contrived stuff during the competition, just during editing?

I listened to a podcast last year which went into depth on the first 15-20 survivor seasons and it seems that production and camera crews were nicer to players who would talk a lot about strategies and create gossip about the other characters. It insinuated that these players maybe got given secret snacks and information about future challenges ect.

I forget who it was but a winner apparently didn't say much and gave away nothing about her strategies during the show and there was a fair bit of fall out after that season over it and the show didn't really acknowledge her for years after although they did invite her back for the 40th all winners season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read about (don’t know how true or real it was) a survivalist show they were doing in Russia which was genuinely just outlast your competitors. From memory they weren’t allowed to physically harm one another but if they found another contestant hurt or whatever they were allowed to just leave them.

I don’t know if it ever filmed or aired but it seemed pretty nuts

I read about (don’t know how true or real it was) a survivalist show they were doing in Russia which was genuinely just outlast your competitors. From memory they weren’t allowed to physically harm one another but if they found another contestant hurt or whatever they were allowed to just leave them.

Given that it's in Russia that's not surprising lol

Debunked. The show was called Game2: Winter. Producer admitted it was a hoax a year later and gave refunds to people who'd paid in advance for PPV. Press releases etc were given wide publication in western MSM and discussed extensively. The producer said the publicity it got for his company was priceless and far exceeded any advertising campaign.

It's still got a listing on IMDB.

Debunked. The show was called Game2: Winter. Producer admitted it was a hoax a year later and gave refunds to people who'd paid in advance for PPV. Press releases etc were given wide publication in western MSM and discussed extensively. The producer said the publicity it got for his company was priceless and far exceeded any advertising campaign.

It's still got a listing on IMDB.
Ahhh there you go, im sure the initial thing i read about it was that players would be encouraged to harm other players but that got walked back real quick.

Survivor has a rep of playing with a fairly straight bat, doesn't it? It's not supposed to do much contrived stuff during the competition, just during editing?

You probably don't remember it, but sometime back in 2000/2001, just before Survivor was syndicated into Australia one of the networks screened a homegrown ripoff reality show called "Treasure Island" or some such. Basically two teams, challenges, one of the losing team voted off each week, winner take all. We had family who were pretty into it - so if we were round there, we'd all have to watch.

Anyway - I happened to kinda know a little bit one of the guys on the show. One of the teams was dominating (the team he was on), then one episode out of the blue the other team won. It seemed a bit disjointed and didn't flow well, and the team that lost looked properly hacked off. Like really angry.

Late in 2001 I had lunch with this bloke, and we're chatting about the show, and I asked him about the disjointed bit above.
He told me that both teams had camera crews and producers with them at all times, and the crews were in constant communication via radio (which makes sense). So on this challenge the producer has a chat on the radio and tells the team "OK - we're having a break. Sit down and grab some rest". Which they do. But they can hear the other team not far away, still moving. So they ask "Are you sure the other team is stopped as well? We can hear them moving". And were told "No, no. They are stopped as well. It might just be the production crew you can hear".​
After some time, they get moving again after radio comms, and reach their goal. A small bay where the prize was suspended above the water. And they are totally shocked to see the team who was never able to keep up with them was already there! They knew they had been held back to let the other team win one. They edited the footage when screened to show my mates team bursting through the scrub just as the winning team retrieved the prize, but in reality they had already retrieved it. He said the reason they all looked so hacked off was real, and it was because that was the moment when they realized they were playing a crooked game and being stage managed. Because it was such an emotive response, it was retained in the screened footage, just edited in out of sequence.​
He said after that, everyone stopped going as hard as they could and pushing themselves to the limit. They still tried, but realised there was no point risking hurting yourself. I think that came through in the show, because even the people who remember the show don't remember how it finished.​

Aww man i loved that short - thought it was one of the cleverer adaptations of the reality show spectrum. You won a piece of the Treasure map for winning challenges and when there were two people left it was a race to see he could dig up the Treasure.

People we used to live next door to went on a rant about on Instagram about the lockdown.

Complaining about how they have missed out on so much because of COVID, and they were living off Centrelink and have to Zippay for groceries (granted they both couldn't work during lockdown). Their whinging would be relevant if they hadn't dumped circa $1m on a new place and $100k on two new cars.

Turn it up.

Something I've never understood is when you're a shopping center car park. There are literally 100 hundred empty spaces and some absolute campaigner wants to get the prime spot and will hold up traffic so they can get it. They are willing to hold up traffic so they can get a good spot and to make things worse, the fix up their attempt at a reverse park 3 times.

While 100 meters away there's so many spots you could double park and be fine for hours.

Something I've never understood is when you're a shopping center car park. There are literally 100 hundred empty spaces and some absolute campaigner wants to get the prime spot and will hold up traffic so they can get it. They are willing to hold up traffic so they can get a good spot and to make things worse, the fix up their attempt at a reverse park 3 times.

While 100 meters away there's so many spots you could double park and be fine for hours.

or people that drive around the carpark to find the one close by, meanwhile ill park at the back of the carpark and walk past them while they are still driving up and down the carpark to find the park nearest the door

Yep they will put the indicator on to 'claim' the spot just as the person occupying it it has just started to put their 10 bags of groceries in the back blocking everyone to save a whole 20m of walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back