Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it better to use electric cars when electricity comes from burning coal
coal is not the only source of electricity, solar, wind, natural gas, thermal, tidal , nuclear. We need to become less reliant on a source that will run out.

How is it better to use electric cars when electricity comes from burning coal
emissions from car exhausts are also pollution

Still 7 people (and maybe more) unaccounted for

Remarkable that there are so few casualties (although of course terrible for them), so lucky it happened in the small hours and not at peak time. The bridge takes 11 million commuters per year.

Edited, please note. Sorry for mistake.

Last edited:
Remarkable that there are so few casualties (although of course terrible for them), so lucky it happened in the small hours and not at peak time. The bridge takes 11 million commuters per day.
The timely actions of the crew ensured the bridge was closed to traffic before they hit.

Really? Didn’t hear that. Please note, that should have been 11 million a year, not a day. Sorry about that.
Still if it happened at peak hour it would have been a much larger disaster

Really? Didn’t hear that. Please note, that should have been 11 million a year, not a day. Sorry about that.
Ships crew sent out a mayday alert.
Bridge was closed to traffic by police and they were trying to alert the road maintenance crew, but the bridge collapsed within ~30 secs of them making radio contact with the foreman

I don’t understand why you can’t buy a beer on Good Friday without a ‘substantial’ meal (a bowl of chips doesn’t count) here in WA. I mean, I’m old enough to remember when nothing could open on Easter (and Christmas), I know change is gradual but it really feels like we moved past being so subservient to one religious holiday, it really seems more like an extended long weekend to a major religious event. Restaurants open, cinemas, cafes etc. Its such an odd, arbitrary distinction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This really surprised me and I'm not sure I understand why it's so cheap as much as that sort of money can be seen as trifling.
In March, Kestelman sold 10% of Melbourne United for $4m, which was seen to increase the value of NBL franchises. The previous sale of a club was the Perth Wildcats in 2021 for reportedly less than $10m.
When basketball is thriving in this country and the Wildcats one of it's most successful teams, $10 million does sound like a bargain for a sports team in a country like this.

coal is not the only source of electricity, solar, wind, natural gas, thermal, tidal , nuclear. We need to become less reliant on a source that will run out.

Australia has about 170,000 million tonnes of identified recoverable coal. Our annual production of coal is about 450 million tonnes and most of that is exported. At the present rate Australian coal will run out in 425 years.

Australia has about 170,000 million tonnes of identified recoverable coal. Our annual production of coal is about 450 million tonnes and most of that is exported. At the present rate Australian coal will run out in 425 years.
that doesn't mean we shouldn't have alternative sources that we can rely on as well.

I don’t understand why you can’t buy a beer on Good Friday without a ‘substantial’ meal (a bowl of chips doesn’t count) here in WA. I mean, I’m old enough to remember when nothing could open on Easter (and Christmas), I know change is gradual but it really feels like we moved past being so subservient to one religious holiday, it really seems more like an extended long weekend to a major religious event. Restaurants open, cinemas, cafes etc. Its such an odd, arbitrary distinction.
The fact anything is banned or closed on Good Friday seems absurd to me.

If a company or business chooses to be closed on that day for personal or staffing reasons so be it, but a mandate from government for a religious holidays frankly makes me sick .

The fact anything is banned or closed on Good Friday seems absurd to me.

If a company or business chooses to be closed on that day for personal or staffing reasons so be it, but a mandate from government for a religious holidays frankly makes me sick .
It’s called respect, dwindling I know. This is a Christian country whether you like it or not and Good Friday is the most important day on the Christian calendar. It’s not simply a government decision. The whole four days have significance but only on the Friday are there closures so count yourself lucky. Take the opportunity to have a day of relaxation and reflection 😉

It’s called respect, dwindling I know. This is a Christian country whether you like it or not and Good Friday is the most important day on the Christian calendar. It’s not simply a government decision. The whole four days have significance but only on the Friday are there closures so count yourself lucky. Take the opportunity to have a day of relaxation and reflection 😉
The last Census showed 43.9 per cent of Australians classified themselves as Christian (some of them very loosely, I imagine, not weekly church-goers). They are a minority. Australia isn't a Christian country, it was (past tense) built on Christian foundations. That can change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back