Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

its almost like your interests are shaped by what you grow up with and who you hang out with
I still listen to 90’s techno

Not one of my faves
Tv Land What GIF by YoungerTV

I recall doing trips to watch space event back in the day, like when a planet got really close or something. Bring the telescope, roll some numbers and head for the hills, good times
Haley's Comet gave everything a bad name for a while, for a once in a lifetime event it was ridiculously underwhelming.

I rarely listen to dance anymore but when I do it’s from the 90s or early 2000s. I’m a metal head but i feel the hard house etc is kind of closely related, used to love that s**t
I have two hardcore techno albums, a nightmare in Rotterdam vol 1 & 2, some really hard stuff in there

I thought it was pretty cool. Certainly never seen anything like it since. Wish I'd had a telescope at the time but it was cool that you didn't even need one.
Maybe you got a better look at it, I remember seeing the Hale-Bopp comet in the 90s and it was much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haley's Comet gave everything a bad name for a while, for a once in a lifetime event it was ridiculously underwhelming.
I have very little to no memory of it

This wondrous thing that occurs - for many - once in a lifetime was underwhelming

I guess seeing vapour trails etc you get used to fuzzy trails so I can imagine the wonder from 2-400 years ago etc

But for me ehh

Leaving aside that at its closest approach it is still many Moons away, Halley’s eyeview of Earth’s change through time could be funny. 1985-86 and 2061 (touchwood) would both be wtf.

Last edited:
That must have been a crazy time for stargazers

January 24th
closest approach of Voyager2 fly-by of Uranus

January 28th
Challenger disaster

February 9th
Halley’s Comet perihelion (albeit more visible from Earth or spacecraft in Oct-Nov ‘85 and Mar-Apr ‘86)

I thought it was pretty cool. Certainly never seen anything like it since. Wish I'd had a telescope at the time but it was cool that you didn't even need one.
There’s the devil comet around at the moment , will potentially be visible in the southern hemisphere early June I think. Later this year could be the greatest comet ever, only recently discovered but they are unsure what sort of show it could put on but it could be amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back