Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing wrong with a coffee date for the first date
I agree with this part
even if it was Starbucks.
I don't agree with this part
That chick complaining was probably pissed he didn't take her to a restaurant, spend 5k on dinner and then take her on a shopping spree.
I don't care about this part it's just content generation for an audience you can't even trust it's real

What if it was homework for project mayhem. And it was to destroy it
Brad Pitt Laughing GIF

Nothing wrong with a coffee date for the first date even if it was Starbucks. That chick complaining was probably pissed he didn't take her to a restaurant, spend 5k on dinner and then take her on a shopping spree.
Absolutely. The guy was well off and she was exploiting that fact. What the * is wrong with a first date being about getting to know someone. Why must it be about value in dollar terms. I'd love to meet a lady who was down to earth, valued health and fitness, loved the outdoors and real s**t and grab some sushi and sit out on the jetty and watch the sunset. After consecutive dates we could watch the sun set and rise in one go.

Absolutely. The guy was well off and she was exploiting that fact. What the * is wrong with a first date being about getting to know someone. Why must it be about value in dollar terms. I'd love to meet a lady who was down to earth, valued health and fitness, loved the outdoors and real s**t and grab some sushi and sit out on the jetty and watch the sunset. After consecutive dates we could watch the sun set and rise in one go.

Do they cafes at Walmart...right her ally ..

Nothing wrong with a coffee date. Or even just grabbing a drink/ice cream and going for walk like mentioned above. I dated a bit last year and I thought breakfast/brunch was best. Didn't have to spend a ton and it was just more casual. Less pressure than a fancy dinner and allowed for good conversation. If it didn't work out the goodbye was much less awkward. If it did work out, can step it up to dinner next time.

Last edited:
From what I've seen online, American's and English tend to complain that Australia's dating culture is very casual. That is, we tend to date with people we already know, who are in similar social circles, or are existing friends. We apparently differ quite dramatically from the American model which is quite rigid - man asks woman out for date, couple goes on date at nice restaurant, man (usually) pays, and multiple dates may ensure. Maybe the movies, maybe a concert or a gig - it's usually quite planned and official, and linear. Whereas we tend to take a more relaxed view and not force a relationship to happen, instead letting the relationship come to us.

This in turn leads to more 'situationships' in Australia, where there is less clarity surrounding the relationship and one or neither party feels ready or able to commit entirely to this relationship, which of course leads to many issues. And I can totally understand why this could be a massive culture shock to internationals who are used to the rigid rules surrounding dating.

I definitely prefer our way of going about it. Less financially stressful and far less pressure taken off the interaction in its infancy.

From what I've seen online, American's and English tend to complain that Australia's dating culture is very casual. That is, we tend to date with people we already know, who are in similar social circles, or are existing friends. We apparently differ quite dramatically from the American model which is quite rigid - man asks woman out for date, couple goes on date at nice restaurant, man (usually) pays, and multiple dates may ensure. Maybe the movies, maybe a concert or a gig - it's usually quite planned and official, and linear. Whereas we tend to take a more relaxed view and not force a relationship to happen, instead letting the relationship come to us.

This in turn leads to more 'situationships' in Australia, where there is less clarity surrounding the relationship and one or neither party feels ready or able to commit entirely to this relationship, which of course leads to many issues. And I can totally understand why this could be a massive culture shock to internationals who are used to the rigid rules surrounding dating.

I definitely prefer our way of going about it. Less financially stressful and far less pressure taken off the interaction in its infancy.
I think the interwebs has made ''social circle dating' more defined but limiting in spots

ie kink / interests exploring narrows down those in your group

On the American thing there is also a form of situationship where ''dating'' is seen as less formal as a relationship ie multiple partners are the norm and it seems to be a try and buy model with either sex having a goal to dating - whether sexual satisfaction or financial freedom

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dont worry, im fairly certain you dont have to worry about anyone asking you anywhere
That's where you're wrong, I get asked to go outside all the time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back