Play Nice This Melbourne BF Board - what should it be like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Good evening Ladies and Gents

Now that round 23 is far enough in the past that the MFC-related mood disorders we have all experienced have receded, it seems a good time for a discussion about this board, where you think it works, where it doesn’t work, as well as any feedback about things for this board you might like to see in the future.

Try to think of this as a conversation with the current moderating team about what your experience is like visiting the board, what about it you might like and also what things get up your nose. The mod team will be around to participate (subject to individual availability etc) and to consider any issues raised or suggestions for improvement.

Within a few thread-specific guidelines that I’ll set out below, you have license to be frank here. Think of a conversation with your moderating team about the board in general, and what things or actions you think could or should be changed up or improved. All the mods will visit as time allows and join in any discussion. It may not be that we can do anything about the specific thing that bothers you, but there’s no harm in giving it a voice. At worst, someone might be able to provide a rationale behind whatever happened or was said that you didn’t like or didn’t agree with.

Also think of it as a conversation with other posters about what you like and what you don’t like to see on this forum. Not to use is as an opportunity to point score or shred another poster, but more generally what kind of things have you login and return, and what kind of things would make you leave and not return.

Things you might like to raise in this thread - examples

Modding.

Have you felt overmoderated or censored by moderators? Or have you felt that mods have been too lenient with trolling? When debates get heated, do you have a view about what should be allowed to prevail and what should be removed?

For this one, I would ask for general thoughts on your experience, so please avoid specific instances of being wronged by a moderator. This isn’t the place of a circumstance-specific shitfight. You are however welcome, as always, to PM a mod or all Demon board mods if you are disputing a particular instance.

Opinions.

Everyone has one. Do you feel able to express a different opinion and discuss? Or do you think behaviours like playing the man are discouraging discussion? Do you think the atmosphere is discouraging for newcomers or lurkers who might otherwise join? Do you have any suggestions for mods or other posters how you would like to see a good board argument to go?

Derailing

An enjoyable aspect of a creative and imaginative group, or deeply annoying? Would you like more cleanups or thread merges to keep discussion on topic or are you more the controlled chaos type?

Architecture

Hell / the Change Rooms etc. Do you want player threads moved to blah, or TV / Music etc moved out of sub-boards?

Oppo Banter

Are you a poster that gets a kick out of it? Does it encourage too many trolls / offensive comments etc? Is the banter thread doing its job to contain a certain posting preference?

Other - well, quite...

I think we have a great board and excellent posters in the main, though I would like to see more voices because I think all forums benefit from numbers, different views etc. But there is room for improvement and something that only exists by virtue of having posters needs to be shaped by its participants, so take a moment to have a think about anything you think could need saying here.

It’s your turn. Take the opportunity to make suggestions, or even have a whinge. Some rules for the thread:

1. You are all exceptionally funny, but please leave the silly in other threads. For this one, its kind of important we get to hear what you think and can consider it so if you feel suddenly hilarious, post on another thread for a bit.

2. Bear in mind that an issue you raise will likely raise a response of some kind - and it will be public. If you don’t want a public discussion about an issue, use PM for the conversation.

3. You can refer to general examples of things you like, or don’t like, that you have seen on other BF boards if it assists your point. Keep it general though and for pities sake don’t summon anyone with a tag.

4. No witch-hunts. Actually that’s a pretty sexist term really, and you shouldn’t be doing that in any thread so as always, operate with your usual civility and decorum.

So Crimson Azure ThePuppetMaster Striker475, get in here and read up the views of the peoples’ collective.

I’ll go first.

I attend games so tend not to read game day threads live, but I will often read them travelling home after.

A certain lenience is necessary for game day threads for venting, emotion of the moment etc. I actually like reading that - its sort of the point in a way of that kind of thread.

My thing is I cannot personally abide the term ‘rape’ or ‘raped’ in the context of any thread about sport. I don’t care what the umpiring is like, or what the opposition beat us by. I’m not that fussy about terms, particularly in moments of high emotion, but I can’t stomach that one. If that makes me a princess then I’ll be a princess. I hate it. Also BF rules don’t permit it, so I can’t be entirely on my own.

Interesting comment on playing the man. While we're all Demons supporters, that doesn't mean we're friends or even have to like each other. You're going to have the odd heated discussion - let it ride, it's all in the fun.

Love all the mods. Wouldnt mind the cards coming out a bit quicker when Norf flogs come to troll.
I like the fact we can generally disagree with each other without it getting nasty or personal.
Top show ladies and gents

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting comment on playing the man. While we're all Demons supporters, that doesn't mean we're friends or even have to like each other. You're going to have the odd heated discussion - let it ride, it's all in the fun.
I don’t think I have a problem with heated discussion. It’s when the ball pretty much disappears and all that remains is telling someone that they are “clearly a flog - end of discussion” that things go downhill fast.

Actually this aspect is probably the single most vexed issue of the board in general. In my view anyway. So worth some group counsel on the matter.

I don’t think I have a problem with heated discussion. It’s when the ball pretty much disappears and all that remains is telling someone that they are “clearly a flog - end of discussion” that things go downhill fast.

Actually this aspect is probably the single most vexed issue of the board in general. In my view anyway. So worth some group counsel on the matter.

You've got a lot of people here, so it seems inevitable you're going to have a few clashes. Depends how much time you want to dedicate to policing the board.

Flog.

You've got a lot of people here, so it seems inevitable you're going to have a few clashes. Depends how much time you want to dedicate to policing the board.

Flog.
Not a lot. Disputes are a part of discussion and people choose to put their view and defend it. I can’t really speak for every moderator but if I were to guess I suspect their preference is to let discussions go where they will as much as possible. I don’t think anyone is in the business of demanding uniform opinions.

I do think there can be particular problems that I would prefer to avoid. Or, if pushed, remove. For me that is spam arguing, Dr Whooooo being a good example. Some posters dealt with him very well - A11’s engagement with him was worth an afternoon of popcorn just to sit back and admire. But I didn’t deal with him very well at all and neither did a few others so virtually every discussion turned to mush. To this day I don’t know which moderator removed a backlash response to the Dr that I made in the early hours one time, though I have no doubt it was good judgement on their part.

The other one that concerns me is the pecking party thing because it will encourage posters to leave, or discourage new posters to join in. That’s usually going to involve longer term posters that are familiar with each other’s views or style to have less tolerance for anyone new. So one person gets a feeling of being isolated while everyone else’s posts achieve a piling on effect. I don’t think it would necessarily even be consciously done, but it can look pretty nasty. For what it’s worth I’ve arrived at some of these views by virtue of lurking other boards (research purposes) as much as anything. Some of the messes have been epic. Not every board has the same appetite for melodrama though. We get by swimmingly in comparison.

I do think though that probably most people who decided to open a thread about, say, Jack Watts might welcome some topical content rather than tough posters calling each other champ.

Flog.
You’ve chosen a path here, haven’t you? I’m sensing a pattern

You’ve chosen a path here, haven’t you? I’m sensing a pattern

Whatever do you mean, champ?

In reply to your other post, it's the internet. You can hope for everyone to be smiles and lollypops, I guess.

Whatever do you mean, champ?

In reply to your other post, it's the internet. You can hope for everyone to be smiles and lollypops, I guess.
I guess that I feel that my role is as much about facilitating people coming in and joining us. There's plenty of MFC supporters I see around BF that I don't see on the Melbourne board. Now, I don't know their reasons, but what I feel that we can do is at least create something of a welcoming environment. Posters sniping each other and turning personal doesn't do that. Sometimes it's the little things - the little personal jab delivered in the middle of a well-reasoned post. Sometimes it's flat out insulting at other posters. Either way, personally I don't feel it helps.

Yeah, people are going to get heated, but you can get heated without calling someone a butthead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Modding
Is quite fine and i think as effective as it's been in recent years with the willingness to deal cards and what not a lot faster (no disrespect to past mods who did a good job too, but oppo trolling is way up compared to the past
Derailing
I personally don't mind our derailings we generally get back on track as someone will turn the conversation back to the topic at hand, Obviously there will be new issues with Watts but that's already been addressed. As far is derailings go you get some good insight to the characters of this board, and we do get back on track so i feel it doesn't need to be policed very hard. the only time things got really out of hand was with Dr Whooo and the board dealt with that after it became apparent it would be an ongoing them should he continue
Architecture
Isn't perfect compared to other boards, but i like it the way it is. people on this board don't seem to like the sub-boards so it could be better but i think improving it will make it worse if you know what i mean
Oppo
As for oppo banter, well i don't mind it at all as long as it's kept in their respective threads and again the modding team do a good job at keeping this in check

Now to the slight things that annoy me, i agree with PG's comments regarding the term 'Rape' which is a far to serious term to be associated to football, it too makes me feel uneasy and wish for it to be replaced by other language.

The one little thing that might bug me a little, although i can tolerate is the sexual references more so hinting to that of a male nature. Now i'm a guy but i think referencing to your junk when you're excited or not, places a strong male culture on this board. Again i can tolerate this, but to the new user it could be off putting. Imagine a new female user joining to talk AFLW but is also involved with other threads seeing stuff like "this gets me hard" or the archer line "stop i'm already erect", even some of guys like myself can tolerate it but aren't incredibly fond of it. Imo we should be aiming to be a more inclusive board and we're doing the right thing but the board does have a strong male culture that i think isn't necessarily bad but needs to be toned down a bit. Of course this is my opinion and disagree or agree with if you will, that is just my thoughts. I'm just putting it out there, doesn't mean action needs to be taken or it can. Just a suggestion from me that the mods can do with as they please

It's a much better read than the other relevant forums because the age bracket skews younger (but not ridiculously low) so you don't get that air of "I've seen every loss since 1968 so my opinion is more relevant than yours" campaignery.

Now to the slight things that annoy me, i agree with PG's comments regarding the term 'Rape' which is a far to serious term to be associated to football, it too makes me feel uneasy and wish for it to be replaced by other language.

The one little thing that might bug me a little, although i can tolerate is the sexual references more so hinting to that of a male nature. Now i'm a guy but i think referencing to your junk when you're excited or not, places a strong male culture on this board. Again i can tolerate this, but to the new user it could be off putting. Imagine a new female user joining to talk AFLW but is also involved with other threads seeing stuff like "this gets me hard" or the archer line "stop i'm already erect", even some of guys like myself can tolerate it but aren't incredibly fond of it. Imo we should be aiming to be a more inclusive board and we're doing the right thing but the board does have a strong male culture that i think isn't necessarily bad but needs to be toned down a bit. Of course this is my opinion and disagree or agree with if you will, that is just my thoughts. I'm just putting it out there, doesn't mean action needs to be taken or it can. Just a suggestion from me that the mods can do with as they please

+1. Not talking about your genitals and sexually violent metaphors is hardly a suppression of free speech.

+1. Not talking about your genitals and sexually violent metaphors is hardly a suppression of free speech.

I get some might not like the subject matter, but why does it need to be policed by moderators instead of a given person just thinking the offending party is being crass, vulgar, rude, etc? What's that quote about disliking what someone has to say but defending their right to say it...

I get some might not like the subject matter, but why does it need to be policed by moderators instead of a given person just thinking the offending party is being crass, vulgar, rude, etc? What's that quote about disliking what someone has to say but defending their right to say it...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall.

I guess it's a philosophical question around whether the trivialisation of sexual violence through humour is okay. Personally I am becoming less okay with it as time goes on, but I think that's because society is becoming less okay with it. Similar to racist humour.

I will note that using rape in a trivial fashion in other places on BF is not on, and universal moderation will apply to those posts.

Yeah sure, not saying it needs to necessarily have mods policing it, but not being open to change the language you use or the way way you use it (not you specifically, mind) just means you're (not you specifically, mind) being a jerk for being a jerk's sake (not you...)

I'd get rid of all sub-boards. They stifle discussion. An off-topic tag would do nicely.

Otherwise you're all doing a sterling job.

Agree with the sub-boards, most of the time I forget they even exist, and essentially never go into them. I'm sure lot's of people don't go into them because theyre hidden away.

The other one that concerns me is the pecking party thing because it will encourage posters to leave, or discourage new posters to join in. That’s usually going to involve longer term posters that are familiar with each other’s views or style to have less tolerance for anyone new. So one person gets a feeling of being isolated while everyone else’s posts achieve a piling on effect.

That's a good point, I felt like that back when I first joined, sometimes it's still a little like that. On the other hand though, if you don't post a lot, then it can just feel like that by default.

Also, who the hey is this Dr Whooo person!? Was this someone on this board or another board, I keep seeing constant references to him/her but no idea the context, cheers

Agree with the sub-boards, most of the time I forget they even exist, and essentially never go into them. I'm sure lot's of people don't go into them because theyre hidden away.

That's a good point, I felt like that back when I first joined, sometimes it's still a little like that. On the other hand though, if you don't post a lot, then it can just feel like that by default.

Also, who the hey is this Dr Whooo person!? Was this someone on this board or another board, I keep seeing constant references to him/her but no idea the context, cheers
The Dr was at best guess a socially awkward fan who quickly went passive aggressive troll when things didn't go their way. Possibly did an "internship" selling memberships and therefore was in the inner sanctum.
Cracked the shits and blamed fans for team performance, eventually got banned and turned to the draft and trading and possibly other boards to talk down the team and cry about this board.

*Also at one point created a sock-puppet account to agree with their rubbish. :)

The Dr was at best guess a socially awkward fan who quickly went passive aggressive troll when things didn't go their way. Possibly did an "internship" selling memberships and therefore was in the inner sanctum.
Cracked the shits and blamed fans for team performance, eventually got banned and turned to the draft and trading and possibly other boards to talk down the team and cry about this board.

*Also at one point created a sock-puppet account to agree with their rubbish. :)
And is now permabanned for BF for his continued rage-inducing trolling.

BigFooty site rules for those interested:

Terms of Use
The providers ("we", "us", "our") of the service provided by this web site ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content ("Content"). Content posted express the views of their author only.

You agree to not use the Service to post or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content posted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

All Content you submit or upload may be reviewed by staff members. Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.

These terms may be changed at any time without notice.

If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.

Specific BigFooty.com Rules
Updated March 2016 by Chief.

The Commandments of BigFooty
Breaking these rules can lead to anything from a warning with no other consequences, a ban from a single thread, a single board or a temporary or permanent suspension of your account.

If you are not sure of a rule, please ask.

These rules are very flexible... in our favour. Don't invent new and interesting ways to get around them. If we think you are messing with the site, its users, their threads or moderators your account will be banned or suspended.

AFL Board: We like to keep it a bit more straight-laced on the main AFL board so everyone can have a go. Trolling and flame-baiting is treated less kindly by mods on this board.

Bay 13: This board is for general trolling and good-natured banter with other footy supporters. Enjoy yourself but you can still get pulled up if you go over the top. Lots of memes and local etiquette to get your head around. Don't take anything seriously.

1. Don't be a pest.
    • Remember these are real people you are talking to. Don't bait or provoke negative responses.
    • Likewise, don't feed trolls. Report posts instead of taking the bait.
    • Don't create new sock-puppet user accounts just to back yourself up in an argument or bully other people.
    • Publicly complaining about, ranting over and criticising moderators and their actions is not accepted. Take it up with the moderator privately, then with Admins if you still have a problem. Contact Admins on this form or via email directly.
    • Insults like *, **** (and its many variations), **** and ******* are particularly repugnant to many moderators.
    • Club boards are places for club supporters to gather. Respect the team and its supporters when you visit. Liking posts is useful for users to rate posts without needing to post "good post" and "LOL" messages. But running rampant through opposing club boards liking negative posts is a form of disrespect of the club on their own board.
    • Don't be a cyberstalker: following people around from board to board to hassle them is just weird. Don't do it.
  2. Don't be a spammer.
    • Posts with the sole aim of directing traffic to other sites are not allowed, whether commercial or non-commercial.
    • This includes drumming up readers for your own blog or other online content - post the full content of your own stuff with a link, and only in a relevant thread.
    • Posting the same thread across multiple boards is also not allowed.
    • Our general test is to ask whether the user is here to partake in the community, which is good, or to get traffic for their own site or product, which is bad.
    • If in doubt, just ask.
  3. Don't be a stalker.
    • This includes tracking down and posting Facebook images, names, addresses and so on.
    • Exceptions will include information for contacting firms, government departments and politicians through their publicly listed details.
  4. No illegal content; respect copyright owners.
    • No hacks, torrents, file swapping, or requesting of same from us or other users.
    • No illegal match video or audio streams, or requesting of same from us or other users.
    • Articles from other sites should be limited to a relevant paragraph or two and a link to the source.
    • No drug use talk or similar. You might get away with contextual mentions or relevant discussion but otherwise leave it out.
  5. No sexually suggestive content, swearing, bikini and lingerie images, racist material, gore and injuries etc.
    • We have readers from all walks of life, accessing the site from home and work. Be considerate.
    • We also have advertisers who apply rules about where their ads can be displayed. A bit more info can be found here.
  6. Don't break the site or do anything that interferes with normal use of the site.
    • Using scripts or bots to scrape content or hammer our database, like posts and so on is forbidden.
    • Don't manipulate or beg for likes to get your post on the home page.
  7. Don't be a whinger.
    • If you get a warning or a suspension don't fly off the handle. You'll only get yourself in deeper.
    • Make your case clearly and respectfully and you will be listened to. Chuck a tanty and you might get the flick.
    • Creating new user accounts to get around bans or restrictions WILL increase your suspension or get you booted off the site.
    • If you are not happy with your response from a moderator, contact Admin here.
  8. Keep in mind rules in regards to your avatars. Signatures are hard limited to a max of four lines of maximum Size 4 text. Don't make your sig overly big or bright, it interrupts the flow of discussion.
  9. For Premium Members: Your financial support is appreciated but does not entitle you to special treatment if you break the rules. Your membership fee is not refundable if your account is banned.
All warnings (also called 'infractions') attract points.

Infractions: Warning: 0 points; Minor: 1 point; Mid: 3 points; Serious: 5 points.

If you accumulate enough points in a 12 month period you will lose privileges:

5 points - 1 week account suspension.
10 points - 2 weeks account suspension
15 points - 3 weeks account suspension
20 points - Your time is up. Permanent ban.

Mods can also suspend your account for a day if they think you just need a day off to cool down.

Thread Bans: You can be banned from a thread for a day up to permanently if you're making a nuisance of yourself, derailing the thread and so on.

How do moderators decide on infractions?

First up - a moderator considers whether your post caused any harm. If the moderator thinks it did, they look at:

• Intent. Trolling? Simple annoyance? Attention seeking? Just a contrary position?
  • Severity of the action/content itself. A bit salty vs pr0n pictures? General talk vs directed at an individual?
  • Trouble caused - Context? Was it reported or just spotted by a mod? Did it derail a thread? Is it generally toxic to the community? Inciting an immediate flame war vs long-term, incrementally bad for the board?
  • History of the poster. Known troll or flame-baiter? Known feuds with other members?
We think this is a fair process, but we know people have different views. Admin will try to mediate if there is a disagreement.

Board Rules Rule

Some boards have slight variations of these rules (e.g. allowing mild swear words in context). It is better to ask permission than seek forgiveness, because some moderators aren't all that forgiving.

Final Say

The administrators and moderators reserve the right to remove or alter your posts and threads at any time for any reason. We also reserve the right to suspend, restrict or completely block your user account at any time for any reason.

If you don't receive a reason or notification of an action please ask.

When you see something that isn't right.

To report an objectionable post to a moderator, use the "report post" link under each post.

Rule Changes

These rules are subject to change without notice. Please check this page on a regular basis for changes, additions and deletions.

By registering you agree to abide by these rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back