Thoughts on AFL website? How do you rate afl.com in 2020 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So what's everyone's verdict on the AFL's website in 2020 ?

I think it sucks. The content is terrible. There is hardly anything on there worth reading or worth watching. Almost no articles worth reading. No decent analysis. No decent interviews or bio puff pieces. No real attempt to further immerse AFL fans into the game. It's just amateur. The most basic highlights clips and cheap ass weekly roundups with Kane Cornes & Mitch Cleary, or Matty Lloyd & Damian Barrett that are really just a waste of everyone's time.

The whole layout and user interface is appalling. I'm not just being critical because it's the AFL, but it really is one of the worst website designs I have ever seen for such a large organisation. Like any changes made to online formats & layouts, I thought maybe I just didn't like it initially, but I would soon get used to it and grow to like it.

Nope. Just awful. They couldn't have made it any worse if they tried.

It's a shame. I always liked browsing afl.com but I just can't be bothered with it this year. I just visit for the bare essentials and nick off ASAP. I would rather stare at the back of the toilet door while I'm taking a dump.

I’m finding alternative media sites offer better analysis and flashscore keeps me on top of live games. Hell even the fox footy app is getting more use for mine.

Last year I used AFL Match Centre, easy to follow - this year its a waste of time, shocker !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my big pet hates about the website and has been for a number of years is the layout of the game day match centre.

Going back 5 odd years now you used to be able to follow the tracker and follow each kick, handball, mark, tackle, goal etc and follow the ball as it moved around the ground in live time. Used to be great during close games which you couldn’t watch too see the ball position and get a sense of the game play.

Now it’s just plain and simple. No sense for the game and just about pointless aside from checking the final score

Going back 5 odd years now you used to be able to follow the tracker and follow each kick, handball, mark, tackle, goal etc and follow the ball as it moved around the ground in live time. Used to be great during close games which you couldn’t watch too see the ball position and get a sense of the game play.

The tracker was absolutely brilliant 15 years ago when footy wasnt always shown live, would update every minute and show you chains of play, stats and give you links to radio broadcasts. Its amazing how backwards the website has gone since, I mean we don't even have scores on the front page anymore FFS.

Terrible, how hard would it be to return to these box scores. Simple, just what you want when using a website...
boxscore-jpg.940965
Yeah, I was a big fan of the previous incarnations of the Match Centre: the functionality and layout of the live stats. Easy to navigate. Why did they change it to this current mess? This is actually my biggest complaint. And as the theyellowsash said, there's an excruciating lag with everything you click on.

Footy fans don't need to see mini thumbnail pics of every player on the flippin' stats page! Pointless.

Last edited:
Somehow manages to be clunky and hard to navigate at the same time.

Reads like a Newspaper.

Bad writing and bad writers.

Unless you know the secret combination of clicks you have to actively look for something like the weekly teams because the link is embedded in an article.

Which psychopath designed this website?

I don't really look at it other than for match day stuff. I don't really like the update
  • I have to use a separate browser to listen to the radio commentary to give me some volume control by using the volume mixer.
  • It's hard to easily see timeline info without having to mouse over parts of the worm
  • Not that easy to get a quick view of all the round results
I remember back a decade ago, where there would be an oval on screen where they would update possession chains in real time.

The AFL website doesn't really tick any boxes.

The content always lags behind what third parties are doing. Seriously I could get live stats and fantasy scores from FanFooty in what, 2007? How long did it take the AFL to do that?

It's not great to navigate and there's not really any 'official' content that draws you there. And the less said about the company men written articles the better.

The android app (same basic content) is alright because as a Telstra customer I can just tap on games and watch them on my phone if I'm on the train or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back