News Time for the Vic teams to leave Victoria - EDIT: Hawks to Hub in Barossa, 15 teams in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Blood is thicker than water.family comes first.I believe if someone told these guys they won’t be paid while staying home for their child’s birth and to support their partner,they would say that’s fine,they have their priorities.heaven forbid there r ANY complications during birth and these guys r interstate being eaten up with worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely stay home, but don't take the money when so many have been sacked to keep you in a job. Next we're going to have a bunch of players opt to stay home because of mental health issues. That's fine, but don't expect full pay when others are working their butts off and making the sacrifice to keep the league going.

If I were a fringe player I couldn't take Edwards or Houli seriously after this as leaders at the club. I'd feel as though I'm having the p*** taken out of me as they sit at home while I bust my gut in a hub for 6 weeks.

I think they should do the honourable thing and not take the cash while sitting at home. A lot of people have been sacked in order to keep the game going. Lot of people doing it tougher than these two darlings.

If I was a fringe player battling away to be in the best 22 I wouldn't be able to respect their decision. It's weak. They're taking advantage of their seniority in the side.

They should go to the hub, and if their partner finds it all too hard then go back home.

Everyone is making a big sacrifice to keep this season going. Ablett is leaving his ill 18 month old son behind.

If you want to stay home, don't bludge on all the players that prepared to go hub. Don't take a the money. That's the least they should be doing if they aren't prepared to make the sacrifice.
maternity leave is a real thing in case you hadnt noticed. if a player just doesnt want to go and be away from family thats another matter.

no problem with edwards and houli staying back with literal newborns.

I think they should do the honourable thing and not take the cash while sitting at home. A lot of people have been sacked in order to keep the game going. Lot of people doing it tougher than these two darlings.

If I was a fringe player battling away to be in the best 22 I wouldn't be able to respect their decision. It's weak. They're taking advantage of their seniority in the side.

They should go to the hub, and if their partner finds it all too hard then go back home.

Everyone is making a big sacrifice to keep this season going. Ablett is leaving his ill 18 month old son behind.

If you want to stay home, don't bludge on all the players that prepared to go hub. Don't take a the money. That's the least they should be doing if they aren't prepared to make the sacrifice.

So any other working father is entitled to paid paternity leave but how dare a bloke be at home with his newborn and wife and get paid? What a load of crap.

Absolutely stay home, but don't take the money when so many have been sacked to keep you in a job. Next we're going to have a bunch of players opt to stay home because of mental health issues. That's fine, but don't expect full pay when others are working their butts off and making the sacrifice to keep the league going.

If I were a fringe player I couldn't take Edwards or Houli seriously after this as leaders at the club. I'd feel as though I'm having the p*** taken out of me as they sit at home while I bust my gut in a hub for 6 weeks.

Even better than the keyboard warriors taking pot shots, blokes too scared to take pot shots on their real accounts.

Post on your normal account you dreg

I don’t think Edwards or Houli care about the money.thats just my opinion of course.i also don’t think the fringe players will lose any respect for them iether.This a unique set of circumstances in play

So any other working father is entitled to paid paternity leave but how dare a bloke be at home with his newborn and wife and get paid? What a load of crap.

It's only 6 weeks away. Season started in March yet Richmond are yet to travel away from Melbourne, so they've had 4 months where they've been home everyday. In a normal season they would have taken several road trips already, had far more training sessions, off field commitments to attend to.

Just a bit of give and take. No issue with these guys staying home and taking the government mandated amount for paternity leave.

Everyone going into the hub is making a big commitment at the end of the day.

Im honestly struggling too

I think its just overspilling anger on the flack our guys copped and because a few richmond players arent doing it youre an easy target.

that and the media going overboard with the herculean efforts the victorian players etc etc

Its bad enough hearing every eagles or dockers game in perth all about the hardest trip in footy ad infinitum.
Anger at what though? That a couple of new fathers will stay home to be with their newborns and partners? Just think about that for a second. What sort of person has an issue with that?

Its just people management, we are leaving some kids home too because the club thinks they'll get more direct coaching and development down here.

I just dont understand why any of that would create so much rage and vitriol on here. The WA clubs managed their hubs as they chose to, thats great. What another club does has no impact on their teams.

People will say they shouldn't get a salary etc, thats rubbish. Its 2020. Flexible arrangements between employee and employer are everywhere. Houli and Edwards won't be on the couch, they'll likely have a huge role in maintaining the training standards of the young players that also don't hub.

Blood is thicker than water.family comes first.I believe if someone told these guys they won’t be paid while staying home for their child’s birth and to support their partner,they would say that’s fine,they have their priorities.heaven forbid there r ANY complications during birth and these guys r interstate being eaten up with worry.even if they were rushed home I’m guessing they’d be having to quarantine for 14 days.

Yes that's fine to stay but should be no pay.

If the clubs are willing to offer paid maternity leave then who are you to judge.

Let me guess, the father's should be at work and only see the kids at dinner time while the mother stays home and does the parenting.
Creates a bad precedent. How many other players will not go or leave the hub after a week or 2 and expect full pay as well? It's an AFLPA and AFL issue, rather than a club issue

Creates a bad precedent. How many other players will not go or leave the hub after a week or 2 and expect full pay as well? It's an AFLPA and AFL issue, rather than a club issue
Indeed what a bad precedent. We'd better stop it before all the impressionable young players start having kids in the next 2 weeks so they don't have to go into the hub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the clubs are willing to offer paid maternity leave then who are you to judge.

Let me guess, the father's should be at work and only see the kids at dinner time while the mother stays home and does the parenting.
I’m not used to defending Richmond but I will here, it’s absolutely the right call.

2 weeks paid maternity leave is standard for males, if Richmond wants to grant them even longer that’s just an employer giving better benefits to an employee.

Besides that, even with just 2 weeks off, the logistics of the hubs means they could only play the 5th/last match (2 weeks off, 2 in iso) so practically it’s just not worth it. I’m sure the club would rather they just stay in Melbourne instead.

Such unfortunate luck for tha cotch today with his injury.
he must be devastated!!!

Just Hope he makes a speedy recovery ready for the “greatest sacrifice a group of young men have ever had to undertake since the Vietnam war” when his supremely brave tiger teammates venture north to dangerous and perilous jungles of Queensland!

Edwards/Houli have the right to stay home. A captain faking injury to stay home is where most of us are drawing the line

Edwards and Houli won't go due to newborns/births. A couple of youngsters won't go because they won't get a game and its been decided they'll get more development with some coaches down here. Id imagine injured players might stay home, certainly ones undergoing surgery will.

Only on Bigfooty is there a problem with perfectly reasonable player management.
Furthermore, by not sending players who are highly unlikely to get games anyway, we save the AFL money. Richmond - always helping others out.

ABC reporting the NSW/VIC border will be closing. Decision to move the Victorian teams was seemingly made just in time. Wonder if they had a heads-up.

The last afl teams are leaving today it's no coincerdience the border is closing tonight after they have left

Remove this Banner Ad

Back