To snag a flag, are we better off losing to Geelong in the QF?

Will losing the QF improve our chances of winning the flag?

• Yes

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 87 94.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What a year, as Ralph Fiennes might say "Its like a fairytale"

Things have rolled our way and maybe that will continue long enough to snag a flag. Are we the best list? Lets make the irrelevent for the moment. Truth is the AFL finals series pays little heed to fairness. The fact that the top 4 teams start the finals with an equal chance of winning the flag is patently wrong in a comp that should reward finishing on top. Its been made worse since the finals week off came in which has taken away one of the advantages the QF winners had of a week off while others continued to play. Now the QF winner had a disadvantaged compared to their PF opponent going week off, week on week off while the other has the perfect prep of week off then 2 games leading into the PF. No coach would advocate 2 weeks off in 3 as a good prep for the PF.

Has this changed anything? Well in the 10 years prior to the chance 18 out out 20 (90%) of QF winners won their PF. Since the change 5 of 12 (41%) of QF winners have won their PF. Losing the QF wont help our chances of a good finals campaign but it might enhance the chance of actually winning the flag. My answer is yes

Last edited:
I have us losing our first match against Geelong then beating Freo and Melb to meet Geelong in the Grand Final again. (Did I just do a Kirby ?)

I think their forwardline and backline will prove too much for whoever they meet in the grand final. It's theirs to lose imvho.

What a year, as Ralph Fines might say "Its like a fairytale"

Things have rolled our way and maybe that will continue long enough to snag a flag. Are we the best list? Lets make the irrelevent for the moment. Truth is the AFL finals series pays little heed to fairness. The fact that the top 4 teams start the finals with an equal chance of winning the flag is patently wrong in a comp that should reward finishing on top. Its been made worse since the finals week off came in which has taken away one of the advantages the QF winners had of a week off while others continued to play. Now the QF winner had a disadvantaged compared to their PF opponent going week off, week on week off while the other has the perfect prep of week off then 2 games leading into the PF. No coach would advocate 2 weeks off in 3 as a good prep for the PF.

Has this changed anything? Well in the 10 years prior to the chance 18 out out 20 (90%) of QF winners won their PF. Since the change 5 of 12 (41%) of QF winners have won their PF. Losing the QF wont help our chances of a good finals campaign but it might enhance the chance of actually winning the flag. My answer is yes
Geel with its older list would benefit from 2 games in 4 weeks.
Selwood and Danger etc will not be able to cope with 4 games if they lose the QF.

So if Geel are the big threat then I’d say it’s best we win and then let them hobble into a GF exhausted after a 4 game stretch.

Last edited:
No. Take your shot at them now. Knock them off their horse and force them over to the Dreamons side.

You have to beat them anyways. Beating them first up and making them question themselves along with having to go through the other side of the draw and possibly get knocked out is far better. And if they do make it through. They have to play tough games.

While we’ll get an interstate team in a PF and hopefully a better shot at making the GF.

Losing first up and then trying to get through the other side and hopefully meeting them in the GF won’t be easier.

You take your chances when they arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Take your shot at them now. Knock them off their horse and force them over to the Dreamons side.

You have to beat them anyways. Beating them first up and making them question themselves along with having to go through the other side of the draw and possibly get knocked out is far better. And if they do make it through. They have to play tough games.

While we’ll get an interstate team in a PF and hopefully a better shot at making the GF.

Losing first up and then trying to get through the other side and hopefully meeting them in the GF won’t be easier.

You take your chances when they arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a year, as Ralph Fines might say "Its like a fairytale"

This is a special level of demented idiocy, even from you. If someone from the AMA reads this, you might just lose your ticket.

12 does not provide a sufficient sample size, especially when 2020 Covid gets thrown in as another variable. Going from QF into a PF is the way to go.

And it is Geelong. And Fiennes.

My God, you are a disappointment.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a special level of demented idiocy, even from you. If someone from the AMA reads this, you might just lose your ticket.

12 does not provide a sufficient sample size, especially when 2020 Covid gets thrown in as another variable. Going from QF into a PF is the way to go.

Medical trials get shut down early before significance is reached when the results are lopsided and to carry on the trial would be to risk more adverse events. The ethics board would shut this down immediately to prevent further damage

Let’s win every game. We can control that, and as Fly would say, not worry about what else is going on.

We are currently living ‘in’ the heads of every other finals team. That is our own special magic. The atmosphere at the G was electric on Sunday when we came at Carlton. You could feel the change in the air. The Carlton fans were literally terrified. Did their players feel it too? Absolutely.

Its not a question of which teams we play its the disadvantage of only playing 1 game in 3 weeks which appears to have hobbled the chances of the QF winner to win the PF. even on small numbers a change from 90% to 41 % should raise alarm bells.

You have to win the PF to continue and our best route will be lose to Geel, beat Freo/Dogs and then line up against Syd/melb who hopefully have lost their edge a lttle through inactivity while we are cherry ripe after a rest then 2 games

That's not a sideswipe that's a full on punch in the face!

I think we are in a stronger position to beat Geelong now than when fluffed it earlier on,they are stronger now and have great form but they have had no one challenge them.

I still think our close matches stand us in better stead than if we were winning by 10 gls every week, I tell you now if Geelong has to beat Richmond I do not think they will I said 4 wks ago I am worried more about the Tigers than anyone else including the Swans who beat us but I do not think can at the G,

I think the best thing we have going for us this year is Mr Wade and his ability at getting us so fit I don,t feel like we have hit the wall at any stage since halfway through the season, the Carlton match only reinforces this they played 1 qtr and may have stolen the match but they could not contain us in the end,

Remove this Banner Ad

To snag a flag, are we better off losing to Geelong in the QF?

Back