MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think there are technical flaws in his marking and he needs to work on being stronger in a contest.
Before I get howled down about 8 marks in a grand final I would suggest 5/8 were on midfield opponents or chest marks.
The strength in marking I am talking about is when he is marking above his head against a backman or ruckman of height and strength.
This is a fair point, but the one advantage he is always going to have is his size. He'll be bigger than every defender he plays on.

If he is getting up the ground on long leads and working hard doubling back, he'll create his own mismatches and be marked by those smaller players.

Did some recreational number crunching about our luxuriously haired talisman this morning:

Of the 38 players in the league that averaged at least 5 hitouts and played more than 5 games Boyd is the youngest by 15 months (Brodie Grundy next youngest).

Out of that 38, only 6 were under the age of 24: Scott Lycett, Josh Walker, Rory Lobb, Toby Nankervis, Brodie Grundy and Tom Boyd.

Of those 6, only Lobb & Walker averaged more goals and contested marks per game than Boyd, and they're both 2 and half years older and averaged 2 and 3 less hitouts per game, respectively.

The only players in the 38 that averaged both more hitouts and more goals per game this year than Boyd were Todd Goldstein (28) and Kurt Tippett (29). Majak Daw (25) was very close.

Considering the age gap between Tom and his similarly performing peers, things are tracking along nicely for our lad.
In addition to this, Tom is the only one to come third in the Norm Smith voting and be a premiership player in 2016.

He is tracking very well.

Tom Boyd says winning the Grand Final made his tough 2017 season all worth it
bc45fff40b9248ddd35c294228c8d8df

GLENN McFARLANE, Herald Sun
December 10, 2016 8:00pm
Subscriber only
bc45fff40b9248ddd35c294228c8d8df

AS strange as it may sound, Tom Boyd is thankful for it now.

He’s not talking about the premiership medal that came earlier than expected, or the game-defining goal he kicked with only five minutes of play left in the Grand Final, or even his highly-rated performance that had some suggesting he was stiff in the Norm Smith Medal voting.

He’s referring to the cacophony of criticism that has followed him ever since he signed a speculative $6 million seven-year-deal with Western Bulldogs in late 2014.

That external heat was more searing this year than it had been in his first year at the club. The source of it was his modest pre-finals form, an off-field altercation with teammate Zaine Cordy in June that saw the Bulldogs impose a suspension on him, and as the headline fodder focused on him, calls from Cameron Mooney and others for him to consider taking a pay cut.

“Perhaps it wouldn’t have turned out anywhere near like it did if that sort of thing (the criticism) didn’t happen,” a reflective Boyd suggested.

3521f6d698a48a5db362caef46ff75b4

Tom Boyd his game changing goal on Grand Final day. Picture: Getty Images
As Luke Darcy might have pondered ... Say that again?

Is Boyd partly crediting the criticism for the turnaround in his on-field fortunes? In a sense, he is, saying facing those obstacles made him more resilient to everything else he had to encounter.

“Looking back, the main thing I took out of the situation was that it was an extremely humbling experience not only playing in a successful team, but also having to learn from mistakes that I have made,” he said.

“All I was thinking about throughout the back end of the year was to try and help make the team better. From that aspect, I think it was a turning point in my mindset.

“In terms of learning from it, and sort of owning the situation, it was a great moment for me.

“It was less to do with any specific incident; it was more to do with myself as a person, and maturing into a man and a footballer. I hadn’t even turned 21 until the middle of the year.

“I learnt as much as I ever have last year, and that was evident with a lot of the guys throughout the year and the way they displayed resilience and their ability to deal with adversity.”

At no stage did Boyd feel compelled to bite back at the critics, or use the premiership podium to yell “You were wrong” as Port Adelaide’s Mark Williams famously did back in 2004.

That’s never been his style. He lets his football do the talking, and in the last two weeks of the AFL season, his performances were every bit as audible as the crowd noise in both games.

There was his stand-alone ruck role against Greater Western Sydney’s Shane Mumford, after Jordan Roughead was benched with an eye injury, and then his Grand Final heroics when he kicked three goals, took six contested marks and came of age on the biggest stage.

None of the critics called him to say they were wrong ... he doesn’t expect them to, and says that’s the furthest thing from his mind.

1dd2346f4d962c409d892a2c10dda74e

Tom Boyd celebrates with his premiership medal. Picture: Getty Images
He’s a premiership player and well regarded internally at the Bulldogs, and that’s all that matters.

The only thing that he found frustrating waswhen people questioned his character, particularly after the incident with Cordy midyear.

“The hardest thing for me to reconcile with was all the questions about my character that people were throwing out there,” he said. “A lot of people knew they weren’t true.

“It is their prerogative what they want to report. But ultimately I had a good record in the way my parents have brought me up to be polite and humble. I try sort of envisage that at every turn.“The only thing you can do is turn to your family and your friends and the footy club in general, and really sort of internalise your inner circle. You have to try to put everything that is happening around you into context and understand the perspective other people have without letting it get you down.”

Given what Boyd has been through in his three seasons of AFL football — the journey the one-time No.1 draft pick has had from Eastern Ranges to Greater Western Sydney and onto the Western Bulldogs — it is easy to forget he is still 21 for another eight months, and has played only 38 AFL games.

Whatever he does in the future will never alter his importance in helping the Bulldogs break a 62-year premiership drought, particularly one of the clutch moments of the match.

It came at the 21-minute-mark of the last term as he pounced on a ball that had spilt from Dale Morris’ big tackle on Lance Franklin. Boyd didn’t hear the whistle signalling a free kick, pounced and then pounded a long goal from well outside 50m to give his team a 15-point lead.

08769835cd23dd5d9efd87b153406a5d

Tom Boyd in the middle of the circle after his first win with the Bulldogs. Picture: Michael Klein
“I didn’t find out until Mad Monday that it was actually holding the ball (free kick to Morris),” Boyd laughed. “I had no idea, as it was so loud out there.

“At the time I looked up and there was an open goal square. People have asked me if I was surprised that it went through. I was surprised that it bounced vertically, as I kicked it that hard, I thought it was going go straight through, making me wait and adding to the suspense.

“It was the highlight of my career and I was happy I could put a goal through in a game when it was necessary and really needed.”

Liam Picken ran to him seconds after the goal, to tell him to stay focused.

“I spoke to Picko about it after the game, and he said ‘Look, we had just worked too hard and come too far to let anything slip’,” Boyd said. “That was just the attitude we showed all day.”

The fact Boyd got to end a year that had so many highs and a few lows celebrating a premiership with his family made everything worthwhile.

“Mum and Dad ride the emotions of footy like I do, but they take everything more personally,” he said. “That’s the nature of parenthood. They have been a terrific support network for forever and a day, and I was so happy that I could pinch a few moments of real bliss and enjoyment after the Grand Final.”

Now he has his sights on more success, mindful that nothing is ever certain, and it will take even more hard work to make it happen again.

2d27d3de4b712ae37dc9983ce8a99fce

Dale Morris and Tom Boyd with the premiership cup. Picture: Getty Images
c2c60820efec215ba5f0eed5a3c248ce

Tom Boyd and Toby McLean celebrate. Picture: Getty Images
The addition of Travis Cloke and the return of Stewart Crameri in attack only strengthens theDogs’ forward line, and Boyd is looking forward to working with both.

“I had some big steps forward in my development, playing that ruck-forward role and really sharing a strong partnership with ‘Roughy’,” Boyd said.

“That’s the place where I feel most comfortable and that’s probably where I can add the most value for the team.”

Boyd knows he has set a new benchmark of performance, and realises the critics will be back for more if he can’t deliver on that.

But that just makes him “super excited” and hungrier to tackle the challenges undoubtedly ahead.

Given Tommy is the answer, we need to ask Patton and Cameron some serious questions...

bahaha, wouldnt you love to have a photo of wherever they were watching the grand final as Boyd pulled down mark after mark and slotted winning goals from 65m?

Faces would be like a couple of cats arses leaving the room

bahaha, wouldnt you love to have a photo of wherever they were watching the grand final as Boyd pulled down mark after mark and slotted winning goals from 65m?

Faces would be like a couple of cats arses leaving the room
Patton was at the game, saw him going in. The humour had quite left him ;).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can confirm. Smirked when we made eye contact.
So you... looked in his General direction?

Surprised Cameron didn't make the game, after taking the prelim off too.

Getting a fair run in the media at the moment...

Tom Boyd is confident of playing in the opening match of the JLT Community Series
15ba73a099d1916a154d8a2312748505

GLENN McFARLANE, Herald Sun
December 11, 2016 10:00am

15ba73a099d1916a154d8a2312748505

PREMIERSHIP Bulldog Tom Boyd is confident his reconstructed right shoulder will be right to go for the club’s first JLT Community Series game against Melbourne at Whitten Oval on February 18.

Boyd carried a shoulder issue for much of the 2016 season, but had it repaired the week after the club’s premiership success with the aim of giving himself the best chance of playing pain-free and unrestricted next season.

He also had minor ankle surgery following his huge performance in the Grand Final.

“It’s now two months since the (shoulder) surgery, and it will only be a month and a half until I am back in full training,” Boyd said. “That coincides with the end of January, which is perfect. That’s when we start getting into the more serious match practice.

“I’ve still been able to run so I will be as fit as I can be. I have played in two of the (preseason) games in the past two years and that’s what the aim is at this stage.

eaaf45a70471ab18ef3f6c9039a788c2

Tom Boyd with his premiership medal. Picture: Getty Images
“I had the two post-season surgeries. I also had a little clean-up on my ankle which was a minor procedure.

“They (the surgeons) are really happy with my progress.”

Boyd injured his shoulder joint in the Bulldogs’ Round 4 game against Carlton. He missed six weeks of football, but managed the issue throughout the rest of the season, right through the club’s breathtaking run through the finals.

“It was a significant challenge from week to week with me having to get through it and find the best way to manage it,” he said. “But at the same time the medical staff and the high performance guys were really diligent and made sure I could stay on top of it as much as possible.

“It was just one of those things that players have to play through. I don’t think I was asked to do anything untoward. It was just a part of the game.

Boyd had his shoulder reconstruction at a similar time to teammate Caleb Daniel, who joined him in signing hundreds of copies of the club’s pictorial book, Against All Odds, at Dymocks Werribee on Friday. The book, which retails for $39.99, is available from the Bulldogs Shop.

“The title of the book probably sums it up,” Boyd said. “We were written off by everyone, as individuals and as a team, but it is very heartening to see how the win has affected the supporters of the Western Bulldogs.”

I still remember when the club presented the club to the crowd. The roar of the crowd when Tom name was called out, you could just see the relief in his eyes and the feeling that he finally belongs at the club and is loved by the supporters

I still remember when the club presented the club to the crowd. The roar of the crowd when Tom name was called out, you could just see the relief in his eyes and the feeling that he finally belongs at the club and is loved by the supporters
Yeah I started up the tears again at that point. It was such an amazing moment, you could hear the love from the crowd and see the appreciation on his face for it.

Patton would be so much taller if he had a forehead.....
I dunno, I thought similarly to the Pig-Shooter that Patton's eyes are too close together giving him that Campaigner appearance. Another in the cyclops club is George W Bush. Both Griffen and George Dubya are s**t decision makers - the proof is in the pudding there. This does not bode well for Patton...

I dunno, I thought similarly to the Pig-Shooter that Patton's eyes are too close together giving him that Campaigner appearance. Another in the cyclops club is George W Bush. Both Griffen and George Dubya are s**t decision makers - the proof is in the pudding there. This does not bode well for Patton...

Just got the Verniers out and straight to the mirror BD.
I think I am all good ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back