MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry there has just been a rumour on our board that SOS is into Boyd again, apparently there were some discussions last year as well.

Most people on our board are saying they wouldn't do the deal for Levi & pick 25 for boyd (even if you paid some of his contract)... personally I'd do that deal from a Carlton perspective. You guys seem to all agree that we would win that deal (as do I).

Well all that demonstrates is that most people on the Carlton board are completely f*#king delusional! That is a ludicrously unders suggestion. If you didn't have follow up posts I'd be certain it was just a blatant troll

The thing is that Tom's increased work-rate and endurance is helping his game massively.

He hasn't randomly improved his ball use in close, his field kicking and hands, and his ability in a contest. It's just because it was blanketed, or inhibited, by a lack of mobility and endurance.

It's the same thing with his marking I think. He's never gonna be an elite mark (we all have analysed his technique etc.) but neither if Franklin. I get that they're different players, but my point is when Boyd improves his strength and mobility, he'll have the ability to repeat lead, run back into an open forward line, and bounce off players better, which gets more uncontested marking opportunities or opportunities to get defensive mismatches. His poor marking will be hidden because the improved fitness side of his game will create easier opportunities for him to mark, and I can't wait for it to happen.

Remember, gents, that this bloke was a unanimous number 1 pick for the entirety of his U/18 year. If these players don't develop other than expected, there's a reason for it. It's not because he's not a hard trainer, because he is. It's not because he's let the media attention and pressure get to him (well I don't think it has). And it's not because of development mechanisms as a whole are poor, because we're not doing a Melbourne and failing to develop our top talent or throwing them to the wolves etc. (like Watts). So the next logical explanation is that he still has all these talents, but his relative lack of physical development (both aggression, strength and endurance) has hindered him demonstrating all the very reasons why he was a number 1 pick in this three years in the league already.

Strap yourselves in lads. There's still a hell of a lot of improvement left.
I am not convinced he will not become a great over head contested mark. His jumping or clutching at the ball a fraction early - signs of anxiousness. I expect with experience and added strength this will improve significantly.

The on ball ruck time gives him more opportunities and is I believe helping him - in recent weeks there are signs he is improving his timing and body use in marking contests.

The improvement we have seen in recent weeks is his spacial awareness around contests.

I have been a bit ho hum with Boydy but I am now getting excited. He is showing high football IQ.

Fair enough, personally if that's all we got out of him it'd be a hugeeee disappointment.

If eventually he's spending 80% of his time in the forward line. I think he's definitely good for 3 goals a game.

65-70 goals a year? That'd be alright by me. Fingers crossed.

Well all that demonstrates is that most people on the Carlton board are completely f*#king delusional! That is a ludicrously unders suggestion. If you didn't have follow up posts I'd be certain it was just a blatant troll

Just relax, I don't have the power to make these deals, I'm just a supporter talking about it and I agree with you.

I agree its not great for you trade value wise.

I guess the issue is with the size of Boyds contract and if you guys were wanting to offload it?

Some on your board are suggesting that Boyd will only be as good as Vickery, I think he'll be better, but not sure if he's worth his contract.

Just relax, I don't have the power to make these deals, I'm just a supporter talking about it and I agree with you.

I guess the issue is with the size of Boyds contract and if you guys were wanting to offload it?

Some on your board are suggesting that Boyd will only be as good as Vickery, I think he'll be better, but not sure if he's worth his contract.

Me when trying to look at your avatar...

csa-blog.jpg

You need to start with a higher resolution before blowing that s**t up brah

Me when trying to look at your avatar...

csa-blog.jpg

You need to start with a higher resolution before blowing that s**t up brah

It's Kreuzers preimership window... getting harder to see through.

Speaking of you guys interested?

Jong and your Second?

With Redpath doing is ACL we would have the sum total of ZERO key forwards if we traded out Boyd. We are also pushing for finals/flag over the next few years so would need to bring in at least one high quality KPF and a back up. Casboult would fit the back up role but we'd still need to pay him, pay part of Boyd's contract in this deal, and then pay overs to lure another high quality KPF over... fail to see how that would in anyway help our salary spend!

No one will know if Boyd is worth his contract for another few years yet...I suspect he will and then some.

Jong and your Second?
Kreuzer isn't an upgrade over Roughead on each player's form this year, so again that's a delusional trade.

Jong and your Second?

Mmm I like his effort and I'm not as hard on him as other guys around here are. The package isnt out of this world ridiculous either.

With that said I'm not keen on adding more fragile players when our team is already made of glass. Need guys who can put games together.

Missing 10 of our best 22 on the weekend and pretty much feeling doomed in finals after a 15-16 win season doesn't feel that flash.

Jong and your Second?

Love the Kreuzer but he didn't want us in free agency, so no point in pursuing now. I would do that trade, if he could play 15+ games for each of the next 4 years.

I remember getting an absolute flogging on the Carlton board a couple of years ago for even suggesting Boyd would choose the dogs over Carlton.

Haven't ventured back into that cesspool since.

Luckily we have a lot more class, so I will respectfully say there is zero chance in hell that we trade him to Carlton.

Zero chance in hell that he would want to go there either.
Bump that thread man

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50 goals a year plus continually improved work in the ruck and around the ground marking will land a lot of guys a million dollar deal under the new CBA.

I'm not concerned about his salary. Some guys get overs. Some get unders. It is what it is.

50 a year and competitive in the ruck would be amazing. Here's hoping.

Would you guys trade Boyd for Levi Casboult and our second ~25 (if you paid 200k of Boyds contract)?

Like absolutely **** no would we do this.

We've made our bed, we will lie in it, no matter how comfortable (or uncomfortable) it is.

Casboult and 25 is massive unders. Even bigger slap in the face would it be to cough up 200k for your club. Plenty of key forwards show very little in their first could of seasons.

It looks likely we wouldn't land a big fish this off season anyway. A deal like that is appalling.

This is nor a direct shot at you but rather the other Carlton posters who think this is a fair trade.

If Carlton want Boyd they can sack up and pay his full contract, and give us something substantial instead of offloading their junk.

Why should we bear the burden of the decision if you want to take on the upside? * outta here.

I would post some of the responses that I got in their trade thread but it would seriously derail this thread.
I want to read...maybe start a new thread or put in the not worth a new thread

i don't think Ty Vickery ever went through a period where defenders will genuinely try anything to quell his influence. Boyd is already a more difficult physical proposition. Laughable comparison as far as prospects go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back