Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Without the Mitchell trade we would only have one of Florent or Hayward.
For mine, Hayward will prove to be the steal of the draft.
Good post, I totally agree, I think Hayward certainly has the potential to be a more valuable player than Mitchell, I can see him being a Stevie J type. Gun forward who can go through the midfield and be very damaging.

Not saying, at this stage anyway, I would want Florent over Mitchell but I am not exactly crying into my cups each night either.

Florent has something. He is going to be a great player if the mind is willing.

Mitchell also played a role that Sydney are pretty well stocked for.

Its JPK but in reverse, however Mitchell had far more runs on the board at the same stage.

Hawthorn have definitely had a big win in that trade, but that doesn't automatically mean Sydney have had a loss. Florent has shown a bit and (correct me if Im wrong) he plays a role that Sydney weren't quite as well stocked in.

A few of you guys seem to have (understandably) been getting the hump as commentators keep banging on about how much Hawthorn won that trade by (Roosy seems to have finally had enough!), we feel the same way when people dismiss the JOM trade as a disaster less than a year in. But that is for another thread.

Check the ladder mate.

How Hawks fans can come in here and attempt to crow about the trade considering the cliff you've fallen off is baffling.

BTW how's the other half of your newly recruited midfield going?

Anyway, we all know that the washup as of next season will be Mitchell, Reid and Jones for Dusty, Hayward and Florent.

A team doesn't have to be flying for a trade to be a good one. Pretty simplistic, view of it.

I believe Titch deserved a top 10 draft pick. Hawks fans used to say how he wasn't worth that, I believe they'd change their tune now.....

Ask any Hawks supporter what they would require from someone else to Trade for him at Hawthorn and you'd get "he's worth 2 Top10 picks easily!!!"
Tom's only become elite in a poo and wee coloured jumper apparently.

Post Pelchin maybe, but during his time not so much

Ask Everitt or O'Keefe

Absolutely, Pelchen was anything but easy to deal with for other clubs, total hard ball player.

Not necessarily a bad thing if he's working for you, but to suggest the Hawks have been amicable in dealing with player movement in the same vein as the Swans since the start of Roos' tenure is laughable...

Also not the best way of doing it because obviously we would have picked different players but here is who we got in 2016, compared to who was taken using our original draft picks (before trading)

Pick 11 - Florent
Pick 21 - Hayward
Pick 45 (for Nankervis) - Jack Maibaum
Pick 48 - Darcy Cameron

and if we did not trade Mitchell then our draft would have looked more like this

Pick 18 - Sam Powell-Pepper
Pick 33 - Willem Drew
Pick 45 - (for Nankervis) - Jack Maibaum
Pick 70 - Fergus Greene

Its JPK but in reverse, however Mitchell had far more runs on the board at the same stage.

Hawthorn have definitely had a big win in that trade, but that doesn't automatically mean Sydney have had a loss. Florent has shown a bit and (correct me if Im wrong) he plays a role that Sydney weren't quite as well stocked in.

A few of you guys seem to have (understandably) been getting the hump as commentators keep banging on about how much Hawthorn won that trade by (Roosy seems to have finally had enough!), we feel the same way when people dismiss the JOM trade as a disaster less than a year in. But that is for another thread.

I am a bit of outlier here in so much as I think Mitchell is top shelf and will only get better.

At the same time I am a realist and do not begrudge players doing what they can financially for themselves either.

I just get disappointed when nothing comes back - it is a two way street. Our clubs trade well to be fair. Light years between how we act and say the durggies or the filth of Eddies.

Just really happy we got Florent (and Hayward). Not disappointed in this "deal" as it turned out.

Probable win - win I would call it at this stage. Dunno why I just see so much in Florent. And yeh - he is a bit "different" to what we have. For a start he can kick the bloody ball to a target. But we will knock that out of him soon enough.

A team doesn't have to be flying for a trade to be a good one. Pretty simplistic, view of it.
Good reply. I agree. Will be interesting to see how FLorent and Hayward progress in comparison to how much better (if at all) Titch gets.

At the moment, clearly, you have a gun recruit who fills a need that was oversupply at our club. Win/Win.

Typical that a hawfie campaigner bumps the thread.

Deep down part of me is glad they did as it gives me an excuse to move Mitchell-related posts here :p

When have we ever got a player for unders (not in hindsight, eg, Kennedy) but at the time?

Kennedy was unders at the time, and we also got Mcglynn on the cheap as well. We got Rhys shaw & 61 for pick 46. We traded Matner for a late second rounder. Even though it hasn't panned out (and we're not allowed to use hindsight right?) we traded literally nothing for Michael Talia. Also only gave up a late second for Mummy, despite offering him a million dollar contract.

It seems like we've been on the short end of a few trades recently, but it'll come around again, like it did with those ones.

Or we could be like Essendon and dig our clause in for a future fifth round pick, while never looking like winning a premiership

Would of still liked a bit more for Tommy, but if Hayward and Florent become good players for us then i won't complain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy was unders at the time, and we also got Mcglynn on the cheap as well. We got Rhys shaw & 61 for pick 46. We traded Matner for a late second rounder. Even though it hasn't panned out (and we're not allowed to use hindsight right?) we traded literally nothing for Michael Talia. Also only gave up a late second for Mummy, despite offering him a million dollar contract.

It seems like we've been on the short end of a few trades recently, but it'll come around again, like it did with those ones.

Or we could be like Essendon and dig our clause in for a future fifth round pick, while never looking like winning a premiership

Would of still liked a bit more for Tommy, but if Hayward and Florent become good players for us then i won't complain.
All of those are in hindsight. They were not unders but what they were worth at the time. We developed them into good players. Mitchell was a gun for us before he left. Our best player in the grand final. He was worth a top ten pick. 8-10 I'd say. It doesn't matter it's done one. Just my opinion anyway.

All of those are in hindsight. They were not unders but what they were worth at the time. We developed them into good players. Mitchell was a gun for us before he left. Our best player in the grand final. He was worth a top ten pick. 8-10 I'd say. It doesn't matter it's done one. Just my opinion anyway.

Don't know what grand final you were watching but for me Kennedy was head and shoulders our best player. Mitchell was very good though and thats beside the point.

Mattner was a gun in Adelaide. Shaw was a good player, certainly worth more than we paid. Mcglynn & Kennedy were worth more than the packet of chips we paid for them. We gave Mumford a million dollar contract and only had to give up a late second. These were all good deals for us at the time, we didnt have to pay through our noses to get any of them. Thats how our club operates, we give a little to get a little, don't have to "win" every trade. Its proven to be pretty successful.

As i said, we've been on the short end of the stick these past few years it seems. But it'll come around again

Really worked his way into the game and his class shone through.

2 years ago he would have disappeared after that first quarter but he's really turned into an imposing player.

Uhh that was always going to happen for the first year or two, we were never going to get full value for him anyways.

Yep we wont ever win it, but we had no choice by then

Thread title should be Mitchell's gone - get over it.

Then dont check it?

Seems relevant as he continues to go past mids on our list we kept instead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back