Autopsy The sinners go down by 14 pts to the Halo polishers

Remove this Banner Ad

Perusing Twitter and the like, I feel like Rowbottom can't really win with Swans fans.

A knock on him has been that he doesn't get enough of the ball. Last night he was in everything and only Florent got more of the ball for us.

Then it's that he can't kick. So last night he went by hands out of packs a lot more, where he is undeniably clean and slick.

Then people say we needed territory, not short handballs, but then he cops s**t for bombing it out of packs rather than dishing it off.

Then guys like Campbell did that same thing all damn night and get praised for taking the game on and winning territory.

Why is a guy who had 17 contested possessions being judged harsher for ball use that was on par with a bunch of supposedly classy players on the outside?

View attachment 1708159
As a Bigfooty veteran, you should know that after losses, scapegoats are found - and twitter is populated by luddites.

Rowy was energetic and one of our better players last night.

I know you’ll disagree (and I’ll likely cop a spray), but here’s my view:

In the VFL today, a 21 year old Jack Buller kicked 5.3. He was clearly BoG. It wasn’t a fluke - he’s been tearing up the WAFL this season. He provides a powerful, athletic marking target. Aside from his 5 goals, he directly contributed to several more with his bodywork. Not once today was he out-marked (apart from a couple late in the 4th, when he was gassed). And this wasn’t against kids - it was against experienced AFL listed defenders.

Buddy won’t be there next year. His output this year has been just ok-ish & he’s become a defensive liability (when coupled with McLean and Hickey in forward 50). Our inability to lock it inside 50 is there for all to see. He’s now achieved all the personal milestones in reach & AFL can’t be all about the individual.

Given where the season is at, getting half-a-dozen games into Buller will be valuable (if he proves himself) as we move into 2024.

Playing Buddy each week appeals to those who love to hope the champ will reproduce glimpses of his old form - but it isn’t going to help us in our quest for a premiership.

I believe it’s time to develop the core of our 2024 group. Or at least find out who it’ll be.
Don’t completely disagree. I would like to see Buller asap as well as the rest of the season should be about exploring future options. Does not mean Franklin has to play every week either and thats fine but he has earned the right to go out on his own terms this year considering our current status and our acceptance of the fact we are not making finals let alone contending. Considering this,To be frank sick to death of reading posts by disrespecting unappreciative Dills somehow making out that he is hindering our ability to win games. Your post here is the exception to the rule so don’t take offence. Anybody can see he is out there busting a gut to try and contribute to winning games. Getting beaten for pace he is crashing in to marking contests being double teamed at times as hard as I have seen in his time at the club. The Channel 7 crossover to the rooms during the news seeing him get his jumper presented and the emotion he showed when talking about his career and the love he has for this football club actually bought a tear to my eye and I for one will be at his last game even if it’s played on the moon standing and applauding who I and plenty of others believe is possibly the best pure footballer who has ever laced up a boot for this club.

Last edited:
Don’t completely disagree. I would like to see Buller asap as well as the rest of the season should be about exploring future options. Does not mean Franklin has to play every week either and thats fine but he has earned the right to go out on his own terms this year considering our current status and our acceptance of the fact we are not making finals let alone contending. Considering this,To be frank sick to death of reading posts by disrespecting unappreciative Dills somehow making out that he is hindering our ability to win games. Your post here is the exception to the rule so don’t take offence. Anybody can see he is out there busting a gut to try and contribute to winning games. Getting beaten for pace he is crashing in to marking contests being double teamed at times as hard as I have seen in his time at the club. The Channel 7 crossover to the rooms during the news seeing him get his jumper presented and the emotion he showed when talking about his career and the love he has for this football club actually bought a tear to my eye and I for one will be at his last game even if it’s played on the moon standing and applauding who I and plenty of others believe is possibly the best pure footballer who has ever laced up a boot for this club.
I certainly have to respect your view - even if I don’t quite agree with Buddy having the right to go out on his own terms. Professional sport is a merciless business - as we’ve witnessed in the past with Ryan o’Keefe.

As for the purest footballer who’s ever laced up for the club, it’s a good debate. I’ll die on the hill for Paul Kelly, but on pure natural talent, Buddy probably has him covered.

I certainly have to respect your view - even if I don’t quite agree with Buddy having the right to go out on his own terms. Professional sport is a merciless business - as we’ve witnessed in the past with Ryan o’Keefe.

As for the purest footballer who’s ever laced up for the club, it’s a good debate. I’ll die on the hill for Paul Kelly, but on pure natural talent, Buddy probably has him covered.
You get no argument from me re Kelly. Best Leader of men this code has seen along with probably being the most courageous to have ever played the game and easily in the top 5 Swans ever.

Never saw Paul Kelly in the flesh but looking at his legacy he stuck with the Swans through all the wooden spoons and when the team was at its lowest, always deserved a premiership and we almost got there in 1996. His legacy at the Swans will never be forgotten.

Buddy will join him on the Mt Rushmore of Sydney players - other ones are Goodes and Plugger.

You get no argument from me re Kelly. Best Leader of men this code has seen along with probably being the most courageous to have ever played the game and easily in the top 5 Swans ever.

Remember when he came back v freo after not being named. Took a speckie mark looked like he hadn't skipped a beat

Felt like his career went so quickly

I love Okeefe , norm smith , 2 flags, champion of the club

But he isn't a patch on what Buddy has been, and there's no one beating the door down to take buddys spot (well maybe today there is :))

I think you'll each find that Ben Ronke vs the Hawks is the greatest Swan of all time, followed closely by James Rose in the 4Q against GWS.

Buddy and Captain Courageous went ok.

I also don't think any discussion about greatest footballers to pull on the red and white is complete without the man in my avatar.

His very, very best may have been at the Saints, but I don't think Swans fans quite give Plugger his due.

I think you'll each find that Ben Ronke vs the Hawks is the greatest Swan of all time, followed closely by James Rose in the 4Q against GWS.

Buddy and Captain Courageous went ok.

That Ronke night had a magical feel, mind almost blown as much as sitting behind the Swans goals in the 4th quarter of the 2005 prelim when it's like s**t we are going to win..

I remember hearing stories that Kelly used to literally s**t himself after games because he pushed his body beyond the limits and lost control of bodily function as a result.

It sounds like I'm joking but I'm not, was legit told that by someone. Not sure if true or not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember when he came back v freo after not being named. Took a speckie mark looked like he hadn't skipped a beat

Felt like his career went so quickly
Lucky enough to have a pic of that mark on my garage gym wall that he signed a terrific message on for me. Treasured piece of my Swans memories of over 55 yrs of supporting them.

I remember hearing stories that Kelly used to literally s**t himself after games because he pushed his body beyond the limits and lost control of bodily function as a result.

It sounds like I'm joking but I'm not, was legit told that by someone. Not sure if true or not
You are not joking. Rodney Eade told me that personally. Also regularly finished games and put on an IV drip to replace fluids from running himself to exhaustion. His stories are legendary inside the Football Club including being ruled out of final with a broken collarbone obtained the week before. Did not train that week but wore a path to Eade’s office door that week trying to convince him he could play. Eade gave in on the Friday he played on the Saturday and picked up a lazy 35 possessions in a Swans win. Man was a machine with the heart of a Lion. Gentleman to match.

You are not joking. Rodney Eade told me that personally. Also regularly finished games and put on an IV drip to replace fluids from running himself to exhaustion. His stories are legendary inside the Football Club including being ruled out of final with a broken collarbone obtained the week before. Did not train that week but wore a path to Eade’s office door that week he could play. Eade gave in on the Friday he played on the Saturday and picked up a lazy 35 possessions in a Swans win. Man was a machine with the heart of a Lion. Gentleman to match.
What an absolute animal. We don't see him nearly enough and he is not mentioned at all within the industry and its a shame. I was under 10 watching him play but still remember him fondly.

The word legend doesn't do him justice

What an absolute animal. We don't see him nearly enough and he is not mentioned at all within the industry and its a shame. I was under 10 watching him play but still remember him fondly.

Hard to find individual videos of him too without getting the singer

Amazing thing after watching his whole career that I truly believe us Swans supporters and football public in general who universally loved him never seen the best of him. The knee recos and then the broken knee cap really hobbled him.

As a Bigfooty veteran, you should know that after losses, scapegoats are found - and twitter is populated by luddites.

Rowy was energetic and one of our better players last night.
He was wasteful, but in fairness the saints brought intense pressure and he tried his guts out

That piece of s**t libba attacking Kelly pissed me off
Him Dimmatina and Romero used to scratch bite snipe and dog every chance they got. Couldn’t stop him though. Due Credit to Libba who I caught up with one night in an after match when I was coaching against a side he was playing with at 45 years of age. Told me unashamedly that Kelly was the best footballer he had ever played against. Was only A grade Suburban footy but he was still picking up 40+ every week !!!!

You are not joking. Rodney Eade told me that personally. Also regularly finished games and put on an IV drip to replace fluids from running himself to exhaustion. His stories are legendary inside the Football Club including being ruled out of final with a broken collarbone obtained the week before. Did not train that week but wore a path to Eade’s office door that week trying to convince him he could play. Eade gave in on the Friday he played on the Saturday and picked up a lazy 35 possessions in a Swans win. Man was a machine with the heart of a Lion. Gentleman to match.
Absolutely a legend. Never saw bobby skilton play but can imagine they were similar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back