Autopsy Swans beat Suns by 49 on the Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

The amount of improvement stephens has shown is remarkable . He's completely transformed himself.

I don't want to say he was ever scared but he looked very timid in his first season or so at the club. Not only does he not shy away from a contest now, he almost welcomes it.

He seems to be going from strength to strength this last half season or so. Exciting to see what he can produce this year
I’m sorry but this is complete and utter tosh and libellous.

In his debut year he was one of the more successful young tacklers in the comp.

His natural inclination was to pile into the contest while the coaches wanted him to maintain position.

Putting on some body mass has been a big help.

One of the things I noticed was some tweaks in player role and adjustments to system.

There were two obvious changes with Gulden spending more time in the mids and Harry playing forward.

The other two role changes were Rampe shifting to a more interceptor role and Lloyd moving further up the ground at the times. Both were more freed up, seemed to appreciate it and played creative better games than they have for some time.

Im guessing the Ramps and Lloyd changes are not permanent but will vary according to the Oppo and game state.

Personally I really hope Gulden stays in the mids. The benefits are obvious. When it comes to Footy IQ we are well off but this bloke is at the Einstein end. He may not be in the off field leadership group, but the kid is clearly one of our on ground leaders.

A thread I think we could benefit from is one on “System and Player roles within the System“.

My final comment is that McLean played well inc when Ladhams went off. He more than adequately covered for Reid.

I really liked McInerney's game. I thought he was moving better than he had since 2021, cracked in hard, and generally looked really poised with the ball. He made a few errors, but who didn't?

Very promising start to his year and think he is going to explode this season.

I really liked McInerney's game. I thought he was moving better than he had since 2021, cracked in hard, and generally looked really poised with the ball. He made a few errors, but who didn't?

Yep. He had the energy to run and take the game on again. Really looking forward to his year.

Agree. I noted there was not a lot of difference between his numbers and Stephens, though Stephens was more impactful. Loved the width and run those two gave us. No wonder Horse was smiling.

he looked fit (had injury worries last year, yes?) and ran out the game really well
other teams would be talking up a player such as mcinerney as one of their future stars ... he's one of ours, too, but he's about fifth or sixth in line, such is the depth of our young talent

Last edited:
The thing that made me happiest was that we respected our opposition and we came to play. Our pressure rating is our barometer and it was elite on the night. Hopefully we can keep it up all year. Will be hard against teams like Hawthorn.
Yep apart from the junk time goal leaks we looked switched on from go to whoa. I think this iteration is serious.

Yep apart from the junk time goal leaks we looked switched on from go to whoa. I think this iteration is serious.

there's been so much talk from the vic-centric football media about the swans being scarred by last year's (end of season game, i don't remember the specifics), how they might never recover ...
so little of that general preseason w***ery touched on the possibility the young, inexperienced players will learn lessons and gain strength from that debacle

look how quickly the squad learned from painful mid-season defeats such as to essendon, to the extent we went on a 10-game streak into (that last game, played in a heavy heavy fog so i don't recall what happened)
obviously far too early to say ... but the professionalism of saturday night's performance was very encouraging

he looked fit (had injury worries last year, yes?) and ran out the game really well
other teams would be talking up a player such as mcinerney as one of their future stars ... he's one of ours, too, but he's about fifth or sixth line, such is the depth of our young talent
Agreed, although IMO there is no 'line', merely an order in which they come on and develop in. I think we can put a blanket over six or seven who could really be anything but we won't know until their careers have played out. Either way, it's an exciting time, considering most clubs are pinning their hopes on one individual kid (which then tends to lead to said kid burning out.)

Great win on the weekend but the sun's were incredibly poor.

Your never as good as you think you are after a win, never as bad after a loss.

Take the 4 points and move on. The club has alot more to do to make up for that gf

we made them look poor, that may be more a reflection of how good we might be
i wouldn't dismiss the suns yet, and i maintain they'll be the better queensland side by season's end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we made them look poor, that may be more a reflection of how good we might be
i wouldn't dismiss the suns yet, and i maintain they'll be the better queensland side by season's end
Our pressure made them panic, the conditions made them pay for their panic and we played the conditions much better (e.g. Papley's Q2 goal a perfect example of both). They will play better than that. So will we.
I doubt they will be better than Brisbane though.

Our pressure made them panic, the conditions made them pay for their panic and we played the conditions much better (e.g. Papley's Q2 goal a perfect example of both). They will play better than that. So will we.
I doubt they will be better than Brisbane though.

suns are building a very good midfield, and if king stays healthy they'll have a key forward they can rely on ... and they have witts
i have faith they're on the rise, i think the lions are going the other way, getting older and a bit slower ...

Personally I really hope Gulden stays in the mids. The benefits are obvious. When it comes to Footy IQ we are well off but this bloke is at the Einstein end. He may not be in the off field leadership group, but the kid is clearly one of our on ground leaders.

I know this should be for the Gulden thread, but I just wanted to say, for a guy as tiny as Gulden, and so physically ungifted, it just goes to show that the most important thing in sport is your brain and hard work.

He has the potential to be AFLs Wayne Gretzky. I just marvel at Gulden sometimes. It's basically a life lesson everytime I watch him play.

Rampe was clear BOG to me. I actually didn't have any of the mids in my votes, except Stephens. IMO our defence in that 2nd quarter won us the game.

i think you're overestimating the defence contribution ... not coz they weren't good but coz the suns' threat didn't last that long
it was a few minutes before quarter time into five or so minutes into the second term ... mainly, the suns never really looked likely to be good enough
i've already conceded i underestimated warner, but him, gulden, stephens, mills, papley, mcinerney, and yes, hayward ... individually and collectively they outclassed the suns ... and heeney and cunningham had their moments too
rampe and lloyd were terrific, the brothers did what they had to do, same with blakey
but that game was won in the first 15 minutes or so ... the defence held firm when required ... then the class players put the game away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back