Preview Gold Coast Swans vs Sydney Swans 7PM AEDT 18 Mar 23 @ Heritage Bank Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all of especially if gulden plays mid
Heeney's pressure acts are usually among our best, tackles a lot.

Cunningham probably plays up forward a fair bit unless some small produces a career best (quite possible). If anyone in the team can do a Wicks (1st half 2021) or Clarke role, it's him.

Hayward, Papley etc.

GC has selected lots of talls, concerns me a little given Fox can play tall, not as confident in Cunningham doing the same if he slots back. I wonder if Horse pulls a sneaky and Francis is a late in?

With their talls, lets hope it is a dewy night, not another Dewy night.
How many times in the past decade has horse pulled a fast one at the selection table with a strategic late in?

Just realised the Storm are playing at 2pm. Seriously considering getting tickets to that as well. Any QLD'ers across how easy it would be to get across from CBUS Stadium to Carrara?
do you have a hire car for the day? If not it looks like it will take you about an hour.

This might help it got some transport links

do you have a hire car for the day? If not it looks like it will take you about an hour.
Just public transport. Just did a trip planner. Can get a train from Robina to Nerang and then either walk 2 k or wait for one of the buses that run on the hour. Could manage that I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kind of like flying under the radar but, if we go out and do a number on the Suns on Saturday night (say belt them by 80 points), suddenly the meeja will start hyping us like there's no tomorrow. And all the Swans bashers will be out in force.

I'll be completely happy with a 32-68 win that will get minimal attention but will give us great percentage and get our season off to a perfect start. It'll take some doing to restrict them that much though.

This whole "Gold Coast play well against us" is such a myth

In total H2H:
Gold Coast 4 wins Sydney 10 wins
Last 5:
Gold Coast 3 wins Sydney 2 wins

At Metricon:
Gold Coast 1 win Sydney 6 wins

Last year they got us at a time when we couldn't get past Hawthorn until the second half, got beat by Brisbane after showing some really solid signs, and a Saturday lunch time game can get in the bin.

We will absolutely belt them.

I like that forward line. If I'm Horse I'm wanting Buddy to act as something of a decoy so the other two can create contests, which they both do very well.

McLean will also spend some time rucking to help out Ladhams. I know he's no Reid when it comes to being a second ruck, but we have no one else with experience as a ruck and forward, so it's not like he'll be down there with Buddy & McDonald the whole time.

I'm assuming he does the rucking when the ball is in our fwd 50.

Surely cunningham plays fwd. Horse last year put players in different positions on team lists compared to where they actually played.

Maybe I just made it up but I was under the belief we also run a 7 man rotation for defence. Not sure how he fits into it since we have blakey & campbell on our bench who play defence. I also didn't see him in defence during our practise match, possibly missed it.

Happy enough with the team.

Of course Reid is injured.

Delighted Horse has made good on his NY resolution “ I will never select an injured Reid again, even for a game of Backgammon.”

It will be interesting to see how we use our 3 tall forwards. McLean and Franklin are probably the least mobile combination.

But I think it will be mix and match all season. I can see us having to use different combinations of our talls from game to game depending on availability.
I really don't hate the forward structure at all. We saw in the practice match (yes it was meaningless and Carlton played like garbage, but it gave an idea on structures) how a forward line with Buddy, McDonald and McLean can work.

McDonald looked really good pushing up and taking marks. I wouldn't be surprised if that was already on the agenda for what we want to see from him this year, but it will be even more certain to be on his agenda for Saturday night with our go-to man in that area (Reid) out.

With Buddy already being a mobile type (even if his capacity to do it successfully is, debatably, limited these days), we need someone to be that stay-at-home forward. McLean looks dangerous playing out of the goal-square, and with the other two posing threats, and the ever-dangerous Heeney also posing a threat, McLean closer to home will force Gold Coast to have to play tight. Stop Collins and Ballard from marking everything, and Gold Coast's back-line is poor.

I took my four year old to the Adelaide game last year. Got absolutely s**t scared by the noise from the goal rush in the first quarter and had to leave early.
Damn.
Same happened when I took my 2 year old to a Wiggles concert all those years ago. Those toddlers can cause a lot of mayhem when the Wiggles hit the stage.

I kind of like flying under the radar but, if we go out and do a number on the Suns on Saturday night (say belt them by 80 points), suddenly the meeja will start hyping us like there's no tomorrow. And all the Swans bashers will be out in force.

I'll be completely happy with a 32-68 win that will get minimal attention but will give us great percentage and get our season off to a perfect start. It'll take some doing to restrict them that much though.
Yeah no.
I don’t care what the score is but I want to see the team dominate and control the game. IMHO they are ready to do this they just have to make the psychological jump as a group. They have to step up …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back