Preview Gold Coast Swans vs Sydney Swans 7PM AEDT 18 Mar 23 @ Heritage Bank Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
WELCOME BACK EVERYBODY!

Last game of 2022 did not go as we all want as Geelong steam rolled us in the GF. Onwards and upward I suppose...

Last time we played:

No ifs or buts, Gold Coast are our boogey side. Whenever we play them, there is always a chance that we are gonna get rolled. Likely, due to a master coaching session for Stuie Dew who definitely ate the second stick of gum that Violet Beauregard was unable to locate.

Recent history:

L W L L W

We last played GC Round 8 in 2022 in which we lost the match by 14 points GC 10.15 75 to Swans 8.13 61. GC were led by Ellis, Fiorini and Swallow with Mills, Blakey and Lloyd being the top disposal getters for this match. The suns overran us in the last, in what was ultimately a poor outing with the swans, however we got a glimpse of what the Chad could potentially become.

Our Opponent: The Suns

Likely best 22:

Backs: Sean Lemmens, Sam Collins, Jake Stein

Half-backs: Brandon Ellis, Charlie Ballard, David Swallow

Centres: Jack Lukosius, Matt Rowell, Wil Powell

Followers: Jarrod Witts (c), Noah Anderson, Touk Miller (c)

Half-forwards: Elijah Hollands, Mabior Chol, Ben Ainsworth

Forwards: Joel Jeffrey, Ben King, Malcolm Rosas

Interchange: Tom Berry, Sam Flanders, Bailey Humphrey, Ben Long

Substitute: Jeremy Sharp

GC has teased and flirted with the footballing world being filled with what is an abhorrently dirty word in sports circles, “potential”. They do play very attractive footy and when they are on, they are on. However, when they are not, they get absolutely mauled. The highs and lows have somewhat stabilised over the years, however it is still noticeable enough that they cannot really be called a consistent footy team. 2023 is meant to be where the Suns turns a corner and honestly it feels like it.

Swans last game:

Pass.

New season, not a particularly new Swans with the only move we made to trade in a player being Francis who currently, does not look like featuring in round 1. Outside of some draft pick shenanigans, I do not see any of our recruits debuting in round 1 either so a proposed best 22 (thank you caesar88 for having a best 22 that was exactly like mine):

B - Dane Rampe - Tom McCartin - Nick Blakey

HB - Jake Lloyd - Paddy McCartin - Ollie Florent

C - Dylan Stephens - Errol Gulden - Justin McInerney

HF - Isaac Heeney - Logan McDonald - Sam Reid

F - Tom Papley - Buddy Franklin - Will Hayward

Foll - Peter Ladhams - Callum Mills - James Rowbottom

I/C - Luke Parker, Chad Warner, Braeden Campbell, Harry Cunningham

Sub - Matty Roberts

Ins: McDonald, Ladhams, Campbell and Cunningham

Outs: McLean, Hickey, Fox and Clarke

I actually think that the inclusions make us better. As much as I love RJ, I feel that Ladhams will give us a boost in the middle if he can keep it together. Likewise, McDonald and Cunningham are improvements over Mclean and Clarke. Fox is a loss and is not a 1 for 1 for Campbell but if I were to choose now, it would be Fox no doubt.

Match ups:

The Ruck
New year, same discussion about the Swans – how is our ruck going to function? Ladhams, no doubt showed he could do the number one job. The issue is in between the ears. To be fair, we do forget he is only 25 and should be coming into his own in the ruck very shortly. Now, he will have his hands full in combatting Witts who, IMO, is one of top five rucks in the league when he is up and running. Feeding the ball directly to GC mids will exacerbate our poor CC and give them quick entry. Ladhams needs to nullify this contest at a minimum.

Ben King vs TMac

Ben King is the better King out of the twins. Fight me.

However, he is returning from an injury and missing the 2022 season which may cause him to be rusty. However, TMac has struggled on the bigger forwards of late (Hopefully Levi does not play for GC). I expect Rampe to take on Chol with Paddy intercepting as required. Could be a relatively tricky day, especially as Ben is/was the more athletic of the Kings.

Players of interest:

Swans:

Gulden

Really could not be anyone else after his preseason outings. It was going to be Campbell but after Gulden’s form, has to be picked. What I saw of him in the guts was beautiful. In and under, clean and neat disposal, hitting the scoreboard it was awesome. So where do we play him… in the guts. Horse, I beg of you. Leave this man in the middle more often than not. Rowbottom, Parker Mills and Gulden feeding it out to Warner, Stephens, Blakey and Jmac… dreams. And looking at that, our midfield and HFF mix looks to be pretty much set with any of Mills, Parker and Gulden able to sit in the position.

So yeah, fairly high on Gulden

TL;DR – Swans to start well and surprise the board by winning vs GC first game

Swans by 24 points

*will put up pretty pictures later
** if we lose atleast I got my losing preview out of the way

Not that it really matters but your Suns line-up will not happen.

Below is the probable one. Macpherson and Rosas are not certainty but otherwise it's probably close. Casboult could possibly play too (replacing Jeffrey).

Witts vs Ladhams will be a crucial battle.

Looking forward to it. Good luck.

B: C Constable, S. Collins, B. Long
HB: C. Ballard, C. Graham, J. Farrar
C: B. Ellis, T. Miller, E. Hollands
HF: J. Jeffrey, M. Chol, B. Ainsworth
F: J. Lukosius, B. King, N Holman
FOLL: J. Witts, M. Rowell, N. Anderson
I/C: D. Swallow, A. Davies, S. Flanders, Rosas
Sub Macpherson

Not that it really matters but your Suns line-up will not happen.

Below is the probable one. Macpherson and Rosas are not certainty but otherwise it's probably close. Casboult could possibly play too (replacing Jeffrey).

Witts vs Ladhams will be a crucial battle.

Looking forward to it. Good luck.

B: C Constable, S. Collins, B. Long
HB: C. Ballard, C. Graham, J. Farrar
C: B. Ellis, T. Miller, E. Hollands
HF: J. Jeffrey, M. Chol, B. Ainsworth
F: J. Lukosius, B. King, N Holman
FOLL: J. Witts, M. Rowell, N. Anderson
I/C: D. Swallow, A. Davies, S. Flanders, Rosas
Sub Macpherson
One day your midfield will turn up and tear everyone apart. So long as it doesn't start until round 2 I'm happy.

Please Horse, no negating role in the midfield this time. Got ******* killed in the mids by this mob because of it last year, and that was without Anderson playing.

Only concern is whether T. McCartin will get monstered by King. Let's hope he's in good form to start the season, he's in for a big one methinks.

Once per year, like clockwork, Alex Sexton gets selected to play the Swans & kicks a match-winning bag.

Then promptly disappears back into state-league obscurity.

Prediction:

* Sexton is selected - we'll be throwing inanimate objects at the TV by quarter time.

* Sexton isn't selected - Swans by 40.

Once per year, like clockwork, Alex Sexton gets selected to play the Swans & kicks a match-winning bag.

Then promptly disappears back into state-league obscurity.

Prediction:

* Sexton is selected - we'll be throwing inanimate objects at the TV by quarter time.

* Sexton isn't selected - Swans by 40.
I remember back in 2021 Nick Holman carved us up. He looked AA that day. Holman most probably still dreams about that match.......

I wouldn't mind keeping Buddy on ice for the early away games given his truncated preseason. The double Mc combo + Reid has a good history, especially up here in qld for R1 (think back to R1 2021 v Lions). Our attack v Blues during the trial looked better with this combination of tall forwards as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK. Thinking of booking last minute to go up for this. Only problem is, flight back would be with Jetstar. Worth the risk or am I condemning myself to missing half a week of teaching while trying to get back and resorting to driving back to Melbourne in a hire car?
Last time you watched us vs the Suns we lost didn't we?
Bad Luck GIF by Travis

Thanks for the preview Membling

Both Clubs have highly touted mids. Their young mids match up well against our youngsters.

As with others I hope we see Gulden' play his natural role in the Centre. Their height is similar and body shape is different but Gulden' may prove our best small mid since Greg Williams. They both share high footy IQ and vision.

I will be disappointed if Horse asks him to play a Starvin' Marvin role and think their mids will get on top of that happens.

Agree the ruck battle is vital. Witts will win the taps but Ladhams must not allow him to give their kids an armchair ride.

The coaching battle will be vital. Dew has won the match day tactics v Horse. Ideally Horse sits at ground level talking to the bench while moves are made by Cox and others. This might give us a shot of being ahead of the game and less predictable.

Bloods to win. Margin after i see the teams.

I hope Horse considers using McAndrew or McLean as the sub. If Ladhams gets injured we would have Reid, Reid and Reid. If Reid, we would have Ladhams alone. Both Ladhams and Reid had restricted preseasons. I don't normally favour using a debutant as a sub but in this case.....

It gives me a bit more confidence that we are playing them round 1. All teams starting off from square one and on the starting blocks, rather than versing them coming off a losing streak wanting to fire up and play out of their skins like they usually do.

Playing them with a fully rejuvenated and ready to go side makes me more confident than playing them mid year coming off a few days break and not as much time to prepare and plan, where they usually beat us. So I feel we will play good footy and not be lethargic, similar to how we played round 1 last year. Just full of fast pace, pressure, transition and hitting the scoreboard.

We do have a better team on paper, but we cannot take the suns lightly anymore. Their midfield can match up with ours if they are clicking. We can't let King & Chol be let off the leash. Big game for Tommy Mac. Same with Ladhams too, doesn't have to dominate in the hitouts against Witts, but needs to show is follow up work that he is good at to get the clearance game our way. Think it'll be a highly physical game end to end. Their defence seems a bit thin with no Lemmens, Weller, Powell and Budarick, so I feel our forward half could be on show this game. Can't see us playing poor footy, not in round 1.

Bloods by around 3 goals.

Be a few scars that’s for sure

It will now only be back in the media again to remind them.
No doubt they won't be able to avoid it, it'll probably be with them every time they run out onto the field this year.

If Horse & co can use that in the right way, then it could have positive results.

"That game is what you will be remembered for" vs "Is that game what you will be remembered for?"

I hope Horse considers using McAndrew or McLean as the sub. If Ladhams gets injured we would have Reid, Reid and Reid. If Reid, we would have Ladhams alone. Both Ladhams and Reid had restricted preseasons. I don't normally favour using a debutant as a sub but in this case.....

I just think probability of injury, and looking for run late means you go tall and sub is a small/medium 9/10 times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back