Autopsy The sinners go down by 14 pts to the Halo polishers

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney's not a mid IMO
I think he could be. Has the best hands at the club, is hard at the footy, and sticks tackles like JPK.

He's more damaging in the forward line but can't kick it to himself playing in front of a well beaten midfield week after week.

If Sheldrick emerges as a genuine extractor that might give Heeney the freedom to push up again but I wouldn't mind him getting another month in the middle first.

We're in re build mode and there is nothing wrong with that.

You can rebuild pretty fast.

We got a fluke win against North.

We are bottom 6.

But we have some ok young talent

So it's not all doom and gloom.

We need to stop pretending because we made a GF last year we are still contenders and that starts with Horse. Bloke is absolutely kidding himself at the moment.
Think about it. We started a rebuild in 2017. We rebuilt and the foundations have collapsed before they got time to set. Poor coaching at times and list mismanagement along with talent identification has us floundering. Gone from being to the best young talent and 10 yrs of sustained success incoming 8 months ago to a veritable rabble. Bottom 6 ? Standard of football we are producing is even worse than that. This is as poor as as this list look in some time.

I'm not taking Buddy to Brisbane.
Last time we played Lions at the Gabba, we beat them without Buddy. It was R1 2021, Logan's debut. Tall forwards that night were Reid, Mclean and Logan with all 3 working well together. I was there and it was a great night.

Having said that, I want to see Buddy play live one last time. Let's take Buddy, Mclean and Buller.

Thought Sheldrick was pretty good. First real glimpse of what he could be.

Not up to the fitness level of senior footy yet. His lazy stroll in to man the mark was because he was cooked not a lack of care. That can affect your mental side too.

So he’s maybe a half of football behind in his progress look forward to him bridging the gap as he has something to offer.

Think about it. We started a rebuild in 2017. We rebuilt and the foundations have collapsed before they got time to set. Poor coaching at times and list mismanagement along with talent identification has us floundering. Gone from being to the best young talent and 10 yrs of sustained success incoming 8 months ago to a veritable rabble. Bottom 6 ? Standard of football we are producing is even worse than that. This is as poor as as this list look in some time.

The list doesn't go from making a GF to being objectively poor in such a short time. In reality, we were better than expected last year (good run with injuries, bookends able to make up for games where our midfield underperformed usually), and poorer this year (bad run, midfield not performing even though it's the same personnel, depleted bookends haven't coped).

Experienced (KPP/ruck) players such as Bud, Rampe, Reid, Hickey, even Fox, played significant parts in our form the last two years, as well as players like Paddy. Our midfield was comparatively young, but did enough in key games until the GF.

This year we've been hit in the talls, and the midfield issues are systematic, not personnel related (given we had the same personnel last year, where we were better, and we have 3-4 young mids on track individually).

We now find ourselves decimated and uncertain in the KPP/ruck area, which was always going to happen for 2024 beyond at least, although Paddy is unexpected (Bud, Reid, Hickey, though Rampe maybe has one more). So in effect, maybe it was one last shot that hasn't worked out, and now our tall stocks need to be regenerated/settled in time for when our midfield should actually peak (2-3 years from now). It's another reset that's required, not a complete rebuild after a collapse.

Right, Buddy got to 350 games & is 4th on the all time goalkickers.

Now it’s time to ruthlessly do what’s best for the team - both this year and next.

Don’t take Buddy to Brisbane.
I'd love to see him in Adelaide again, but could look at a farewell game vs Gold Coast in Rd 22, giving us 2 games without him to further vet a new look forward line. Would also rest him this week as he's been ill, potentially away against Tigers Rd 17, Freo Rd 19.

Right, Buddy got to 350 games & is 4th on the all time goalkickers.

Now it’s time to ruthlessly do what’s best for the team - both this year and next.

Don’t take Buddy to Brisbane.
Yep let's give more ToG% to unfit kids against probably the most polished all around team

Good way to have another goalless second half

I think he could be. Has the best hands at the club, is hard at the footy, and sticks tackles like JPK.

He's more damaging in the forward line but can't kick it to himself playing in front of a well beaten midfield week after week.

If Sheldrick emerges as a genuine extractor that might give Heeney the freedom to push up again but I wouldn't mind him getting another month in the middle first.
'Could be' and 'is' are two different things.

Haven't seen anything to suggest he belongs in the mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best for the team ? How far would that go to improving our general standard of football we are producing this year ?
I know you’ll disagree (and I’ll likely cop a spray), but here’s my view:

In the VFL today, a 21 year old Jack Buller kicked 5.3. He was clearly BoG. It wasn’t a fluke - he’s been tearing up the WAFL this season. He provides a powerful, athletic marking target. Aside from his 5 goals, he directly contributed to several more with his bodywork. Not once today was he out-marked (apart from a couple late in the 4th, when he was gassed). And this wasn’t against kids - it was against experienced AFL listed defenders.

Buddy won’t be there next year. His output this year has been just ok-ish & he’s become a defensive liability (when coupled with McLean and Hickey in forward 50). Our inability to lock it inside 50 is there for all to see. He’s now achieved all the personal milestones in reach & AFL can’t be all about the individual.

Given where the season is at, getting half-a-dozen games into Buller will be valuable (if he proves himself) as we move into 2024.

Playing Buddy each week appeals to those who love to hope the champ will reproduce glimpses of his old form - but it isn’t going to help us in our quest for a premiership.

I believe it’s time to develop the core of our 2024 group. Or at least find out who it’ll be.

Buddy's not really holding anyone back. Buller can get games

Playing with Buddy while he's coaching you in game seems much more valuable

Campbell , Gulden and Mellican all had a right crack at it. Sheldrick showed a lot of promise should get more games this year.
Skill level atrocious across the ground. Umpiring was random but they ran over us at the end and we couldn't get our hands on it.
Hickey will need to be managed even if he's not injured has limited mobility. MacAndrew can get a few games more this year and another decent pre season he should be good to go.
Finals are gone for this year , anyone playing through injuries get them treated and ready to go for next year. There is no point flogging the dead horse need to change things around on the field and in the coaches box.
Brisbane next week could be very ugly if we play like that again.
I have been harping on this all year: notch that up as the 4th win that was taken away by poor fitness. Overrun AGAIN.

Yes, skills were absolutely deplorable, but if we were fit, we would have won the game. Who the f is our conditioning coach? We should be at least 7-5. Argggggh.

I know you’ll disagree (and I’ll likely cop a spray), but here’s my view:

In the VFL today, a 21 year old Jack Buller kicked 5.3. He was clearly BoG. It wasn’t a fluke - he’s been tearing up the WAFL this season. He provides a powerful, athletic marking target. Aside from his 5 goals, he directly contributed to several more with his bodywork. Not once today was he out-marked (apart from a couple late in the 4th, when he was gassed). And this wasn’t against kids - it was against experienced AFL listed defenders.

Buddy won’t be there next year. His output this year has been just ok-ish & he’s become a defensive liability (when coupled with McLean and Hickey in forward 50). Our inability to lock it inside 50 is there for all to see. He’s now achieved all the personal milestones in reach & AFL can’t be all about the individual.

Given where the season is at, getting half-a-dozen games into Buller will be valuable (if he proves himself) as we move into 2024.

Playing Buddy each week appeals to those who love to hope the champ will reproduce glimpses of his old form - but it isn’t going to help us in our quest for a premiership.

I believe it’s time to develop the core of our 2024 group. Or at least find out who it’ll be.

It is worth considering, but why just Buddy?

Probably throw Hickey out then , maybe even Rampe. Get Parker out of the middle, those three arent in our next flag

Disappointing loss at home, though the Saints are a bit underrated this year IMO, I think Ross Lyon has made a difference...

We missed Parker I feel, we needed someone to help out Florent, Warner and Rowbottom. I thought we actually played a decent brand of footy in the second quarter, those two goals to St Kilda before half time halted our momentum somewhat and we never really got it back.

Looks like we'll be making up the numbers in the eight at best this year.

Buddy's not really holding anyone back. Buller can get games

Playing with Buddy while he's coaching you in game seems much more valuable
I disagree.

Buddy is the target on most occasions.

And I’m not saying Buddy gets chucked out and retired. Just that he doesn’t play every week.

It is worth considering, but why just Buddy?

Probably throw Hickey out then , maybe even Rampe. Get Parker out of the middle, those three arent in our next flag
Rampe has still performed at a very high level this year. We are a better side with Rampe.

Parker cops it on here for his kicking, but he still performs at a very high level. We are a better side with Parker.

Hickey is in decline - but I’m not sure who is viable to come in with Ladhams in the casualty ward. McAndrew getting a taste was good - but he’s not ready.

Perusing Twitter and the like, I feel like Rowbottom can't really win with Swans fans.

A knock on him has been that he doesn't get enough of the ball. Last night he was in everything and only Florent got more of the ball for us.

Then it's that he can't kick. So last night he went by hands out of packs a lot more, where he is undeniably clean and slick.

Then people say we needed territory, not short handballs, but then he cops s**t for bombing it out of packs rather than dishing it off.

Then guys like Campbell did that same thing all damn night and get praised for taking the game on and winning territory.

Why is a guy who had 17 contested possessions being judged harsher for ball use that was on par with a bunch of supposedly classy players on the outside?

07A4EF47-D27F-4BBC-AD5C-156D12B73A0E.jpeg

Perusing Twitter and the like, I feel like Rowbottom can't really win with Swans fans.

A knock on him has been that he doesn't get enough of the ball. Last night he was in everything and only Florent got more of the ball for us.

Then it's that he can't kick. So last night he went by hands out of packs a lot more, where he is undeniably clean and slick.

Then people say we needed territory, not short handballs, but then he cops s**t for bombing it out of packs rather than dishing it off.

Then guys like Campbell did that same thing all damn night and get praised for taking the game on and winning territory.

Why is a guy who had 17 contested possessions being judged harsher for ball use that was on par with a bunch of supposedly classy players on the outside?

View attachment 1708159
Because people get distracted by highlights and shinier new players.

I mean Rowbottom was OK. Good even. I don't think he was in everything. He should go by hands because he knows his limitations.

I don't think him and Campbell were doing the same things in the game. I thought Campbell was pretty good. Not sure I'd be critical of his game

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back