Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

What aspect are you craving an admission on?

That Phillips had issues with his game, poor defensively, fumbly, disposal, decision making? Are you telling me that these things never happened?

Or that Sidebottom was BOG? It's a subjective opinion so how is it wrong?

C'mon Jackass.. it's been a really good period as far as 'apologizing' on bigfooty goes re.. apologize to the group.. and let's just move on from this re..

fair point but on the flip side of this is that inside mids ( generally ) have more handballs which should be able to hit the target better. also that those noted players that is their strength. Phillips strength is his running which in turn builds up lactic acid etc which can impact DE% also. so point being is that both have advantages and disadvantages. so without breaking down the science of it I and the majority of football followers can only go by the clear statistical facts. I'm sure it lies somewhere in the middle. which that being would still put him in the border elite category for ball use.

Yeah I get it & do agree.

Also as I said earlier, he has made a noticeable improvement in his kicking which has really improved how effective he is as a wingman. He's also winning slightly more contested ball this year, and his kick to handball ratio has increased.

He is certainly no Didak by foot yet but he has improved, and there's no reason why he can't continue to improve. He's a great kid, rapt to see him do so well.

You're completely underselling him. You're not giving him praise, even when he deserves it.

The whole team stopped in the last quarter, and it was hardly a surprise considering the score line.

Wrong, check again. I've repeatedly said he was very good Sunday, just noted that some of his issues (disposal, defensive accountability) were present. If anyone can convince me he had an absolutely 100% perfect game then you've got a point, otherwise, you're just flying a very limp and tattered flag.

No, the whole team didn't stop, but a few did, Phillips 1, Thomas another. There were others but this is a discussion thread about Phillips.

is this Dane Swan 2.0. in that he gets so much of the footy that it has the illusion that he turns the ball over more. purely looking at raw DE% he is clearly better then some of the games so called Elite

Phillips 73.9%
Cotchin 66.9%
Dangerfield 66.7%
Fyfe 69.6%
Cripps 66.1%
Selwood 69.1%
Martin 66.4%
Parker 70.3%
Bontempelli 71.3%

Comparing apples and oranges. And his DE% on Sunday was 67%.

Wrong, check again. I've repeatedly said he was very good Sunday, just noted that some of his issues (disposal, defensive accountability) were present. If anyone can convince me he had an absolutely 100% perfect game then you've got a point, otherwise, you're just flying a very limp and tattered flag.

No, the whole team didn't stop, but a few did, Phillips 1, Thomas another. There were others but this is a discussion thread about Phillips.

I'm assuming you kept on riding Swan until he retired over his disposal efficiency?

No player is perfect. Sure he has issues to work on, but I'm happy with his progress.

I'd never do that Mike, that would be an outrageous slander.

As an aside, who is your favourite player at the Pies? They don't need to be omnipotent.
Adam Treloar, whenever he's out the back in the wing good things happen.

Who's yours?

I'm assuming you kept on riding Swan until he retired over his disposal efficiency?

No player is perfect. Sure he has issues to work on, but I'm happy with his progress.

Which is essentially the sentiments I've expressed in 4 of his 11 games this year. But apparently because I'm not being ridiculously overly effusive and ignoring any faults, people feel the need to take me to task. Go figure.

I like to think I'm equally realistic on my assessment of all players, always look to find positives where possible. Swanny certainly wasn't exempt.

vive la différence

Adam Treloar, whenever he's out the back in the wing good things happen.

Who's yours?

Hard to go past Pendles, he's 99% truffle. I like WHE too, usually very clean and I like the ball in his hands. Was a bit wobbly early in the season, maybe lack of sleep due to new bubs, but back in the swing now.

images

I was bored at lunchtime so I put my Colombo hat on.

I don't feel the need to post it like some people do/did last night. It achieves nothing.

As you so eloquently said.....lets agree to disagree on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s poor by foot and doesn’t have the same bollocking aggression as Swan. I see him as a vallina mid that finds a lot of the ball. Nothing special. Doesn’t have the skill of Pendlebury or anything like that.

Name me the players that have the skill of Pendles. Such a stupid bar to set for any other player really. We can only dream of having two of him.

I think it is far too early to make definitive statements about how good this KID is or will be. We can say he is in good form and his improvement this year has been excellent. If he continues to develop and maintain his current output (or better) over the next few years people will start comparing him to Swanny.

By the way, there is nothing vanilla about finding a lot of the ball. You may not of cottoned on yet but it is hard to score and just as hard to win a game of footy if you don’t have the ball.

Name me the players that have the skill of Pendles. Such a stupid bar to set for any other player really. We can only dream of having two of him.

I think it is far too early to make definitive statements about how good this KID is or will be. We can say he is in good form and his improvement this year has been excellent. If he continues to develop and maintain his current output (or better) over the next few years people will start comparing him to Swanny.

By the way, there is nothing vanilla about finding a lot of the ball. You may not of cottoned on yet but it is hard to score and just as hard to win a game of footy if you don’t have the ball.
Scott Pendlebury was 22 when he won The Norm Smith and we knew he was a gun then compare him with Philips and I take Pendles for skill. Philips will be a more like a good accumulator but not star.

He’s poor by foot and doesn’t have the same bollocking aggression as Swan. I see him as a vallina mid that finds a lot of the ball. Nothing special. Doesn’t have the skill of Pendlebury or anything like that.
Tell us all how bad Scharenberg and Phillips are TG, I need a good laugh tonight.

Will Tom Phillips now cop a tagger for the rest of the year?
I don’t think teams can afford to concentrate on Phillips when Pendles, Sidebottom and Treloar are running around.

Some people just hate to see anyone get an accolade, even a pat on the back.
Even when they clearly deserve it.
Makes me wonder why they even follow the game.
Makes them feel better about themselves pissing on others talents?

Yes good point but if i was focusing on the pies i would send someone to Phillips?
That is his real value.
He will free up another.
Can a side tag Pendles, De Goey, Sidearse and Phillips?
Defensive forward on WHE and then they have to find someone to stop Grundy around the ground.....Thomas and Treloar?
We are very gradually becoming a very hard to shut down side.
Our own errors are our biggest downfall at the moment and the boys are beginning to limit those too.

Good time to be a Pies supporter.

Scott Pendlebury was 22 when he won The Norm Smith and we knew he was a gun then compare him with Philips and I take Pendles for skill. Philips will be a more like a good accumulator but not star.

And you would have said the same about Swan at 22. No need to put a lit on this kid’s ceiling. No reason he can’t become a star. He has the potential.

And you would have said the same about Swan at 22. No need to put a lit on this kid’s ceiling. No reason he can’t become a star. He has the potential.
Exactly right, some players just take a little longer to get going. Pendle’s was a star from juniors, hence why he went at pick 5. Players like Swan and Phillips just take a few years to put everything together, hence going later in the draft (both pick 58 actually!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back