MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart bump on Prestia - 4 weeks to freshen up

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on. I'd hope any Cats supporter will cop this on the chin as he has, because what's done is done and now we have to move on to best deal with this gap for a month. Shades of Scarlett's hit on Balantyne except most of the fotty world welcomed that. This wasn't it.

What annoys me is I'm sure the ferals will boo him for years to come, as if their criminal rabble squad members over the years haven't done the same and worst. Sorry, what was Jack Dyer famous for? Captain Blood wasn't it? Great player and legend of the game no doubt, but Tigers fans who's been spitting venom needs to pull their heads in, and remember that this has been part of the game since inception, right or wrong. I don't condone contact to the head, but FFS, it's a contact sport played by hard bodies. S**t happens. All the best to Prestia, and let's bring on 16 more points next month!
I wouldn't worry about the booing- he was near bog after the incident- if he can handle it...supporters concerns are trivial. And the more he gets booed, the more he's getting the ball.

Head - high bumping an unsuspecting player as he did - whatever the split second reason he did this, he has a wintry month to think about it, and to hope it doesn't cost us like his absence last year did.

You were lucky.

They won't just fire a shot across your bow next time 😉
I barely do it. Got a maximum ban for doing it on the hawthorn board in 2010. Was just for shits and giggles but yeah, the self assumed persecuted always cry the loudest.

But it was the level heads of Chief & Wosh who stepped in.

I would 🤣 react to most of these posts except some Tiggy softcawk reported me so now reactions are not my privilege for a week. 🤣

They’re already talking this up. They’re even trying to organize a mass purchase of tickets to our game against the Bulldogs in R20 just so they can go there to boo Stewart.
What was Stewart's reaction the last time he was booed ?

I really hope that this doesn't deter Stewart from his style of play- he is desperate, and plays on the edge- he has never resorted to dangerous actions, but we don't want him retreating into his shell. The club is well aware of this possibility, and have already taken action to work on his headspace.

I really hope that this doesn't deter Stewart from his style of play- he is desperate, and plays on the edge- he has never resorted to dangerous actions, but we don't want him retreating into his shell. The club is well aware of this possibility, and have already taken action to work on his headspace.
Hopefully it does deter him from doing stupid s**t. There was nothing to be gained from what he did and he has put in jeopardy a whole campaign.

Firstly, genuinely hope Prestia is okay. Simpson out of most of year with concussion illustrates the potential outcome.

No problems with the 4 weeks but immediately thought of that incident some years back where Mumford absolutely creamed Duncan while he was wide open reaching up for a high bounce. Mummy lined him up from about 8 metres away. Duncan was Struggling. I was amazed because Duncan hadn’t taken possession and they didn’t even pay a free even though they were charging rough conduct for very similar incidents.

Hopefully it does deter him from doing stupid s**t. There was nothing to be gained from what he did and he has put in jeopardy a whole campaign.
Agree completely.
As you would have guessed, imo, the Carlton and Demons games were going to be BIG ??s anyway.
Port as well now.

He is a level headed guy- he will be fine.

Head high hits have become taboo in recent years.
Especially as former players have sought and won compensation payouts from the effects of concussion.
There have been high profile cases of players suffering permanent brain damage after repeated heavy hits.
This has lead to opportunistic class action claims by former players seeking compensation for any slight head contact.
The consequence is the crackdown on all high contact as all sporting codes try to minimise their potential exposure.

The AFL has a table of contact severity and potential penalty as a guideline.
Trying to make comparisons between similar hits is a pointless exercise.
It is not the severity of the action but the consequence that is being considered.
In reality a severe intentional hit on a player that gets up and can play on is downplayed.
An clumsy soft hit on the sweet spot, that KO's a player is upgraded to reckless.

Stewart falls into the latter because of outcome and optics.
The AFL message is clear, if you choose to bump beware the risk.
Expect the bump to fade from the game as players either make a tackle or simply avoid contact.

The discussion about send off rule as compensation for the loss of a player during a game is an interesting one.
Rather than a player being wrongly sent off.... If found guilty later by tribunal and suspended,
Perhaps one match of the suspension be held back then served when the teams next play each other.
This would give some direct benefit to the aggrieved team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mods,
how about we just lock this baby up?

it's over now.
Its been 3 days of crap everywhere. If I was Elvis i would have shot my radio 88 times.

And considering my radio is my iphone....... thats kinda spendy.

I think Stewart will be fine .

He did what he did . yeah it was wrong .
But was still close to bog speaks for the guy , he would felt shithouse but still played well.

Can't see him dropping off much .

Biggest problem now is a month with out him .
Who sees things players up the feild to hit up .

Others in the backline go into their shell if they stuff up a few kicks ..

Imo I think Duncan goes back ..

I think Stewart will be fine .

He did what he did . yeah it was wrong .
But was still close to bog speaks for the guy , he would felt shithouse but still played well.

Can't see him dropping off much .

Biggest problem now is a month with out him .
Who sees things players up the feild to hit up .

Others in the backline go into their shell if they stuff up a few kicks ..

Imo I think Duncan goes back ..
duncan is already playing back.
2e will go back now.

A million bucks (monopoly money) says scott went to his house sunday and said. 'Right, you're going to get 3 plus. Time to plan your training'.
They arent stupid.
Youve got to move on. The guy isnt dead.

Mods,
how about we just lock this baby up?

it's over now.
Its been 3 days of crap everywhere. If I was Elvis i would have shot my radio 88 times.

And considering my radio is my iphone....... thats kinda spendy.

Nah

The fact there's still discussion going on is a good indication that folks haven't finished talking about the incident yet - rather keep that discussion focused in this thread, than have it filtering into other threads like the match preview

duncan is already playing back.
2e will go back now.

A million bucks (monopoly money) says scott went to his house sunday and said. 'Right, you're going to get 3 plus. Time to plan your training'.
They arent stupid.
Youve got to move on. The guy isnt dead.

Yeah he's not dead .

You can see the western Bulldogs getting back into the game once Stewart went off.

Big lose .

Boys will need to dig deep?

Nah

The fact there's still discussion going on is a good indication that folks haven't finished talking about the incident yet - rather keep that discussion focused in this thread, than have it filtering into other threads like the match preview

This is the place for it.

I'm still getting my Tommy Stewart bobble head this weekend ..

The discussion about send off rule as compensation for the loss of a player during a game is an interesting one.
Rather than a player being wrongly sent off.... If found guilty later by tribunal and suspended,
Perhaps one match of the suspension be held back then served when the teams next play each other.
This would give some direct benefit to the aggrieved team.
For me, the need for a send-off rule has nothing to do with 'compensation'. That's where I totally disagree with Scott's suggestion which is akin to what you're saying here that the penalty, or a part of it, could be served when the same teams next meet.

Apart from the obvious difficulties, like when a player is traded to another team (or even joins the 'aggrieved' team itself in the off-season) before the teams play each other again - the idea of 'compensation' or 'benefit' to the aggrieved team just misses the point.

The main thing for me is that serious indiscretions on the field have immediate consequences for the player in question.

It should have nothing to do with whether the opposition have a player down because of the injury or whatever. It has to do with knowing, when you step on the field, that you're only allowed to stay and compete on that field if you play fairly and that call is made by no-one other than the umpire.

Why do we say in AFL that "oh well, but umpires make mistakes... they can't be trusted to make the right call.." etc etc, when in virtually every other sport on the globe, umpires or referees have the power to send a player off and those decisions are simply accepted?

We have a big problem in AFL with head injuries, yes. We also have a big problem - Chris Scott I would say more than most - with just accepting umpires decisions.

A yellow-card and red-card system in AFL is far overdue.

For me, the need for a send-off rule has nothing to do with 'compensation'. That's where I totally disagree with Scott's suggestion which is akin to what you're saying here that the penalty, or a part of it, could be served when the same teams next meet.

Apart from the obvious difficulties, like when a player is traded to another team (or even joins the 'aggrieved' team itself in the off-season) before the teams play each other again - the idea of 'compensation' or 'benefit' to the aggrieved team just misses the point.

The main thing for me is that serious indiscretions on the field have immediate consequences for the player in question.

It should have nothing to do with whether the opposition have a player down because of the injury or whatever. It has to do with knowing, when you step on the field, that you're only allowed to stay and compete on that field if you play fairly and that call is made by no-one other than the umpire.

Why do we say in AFL that "oh well, but umpires make mistakes... they can't be trusted to make the right call.." etc etc, when in virtually every other sport on the globe, umpires or referees have the power to send a player off and those decisions are simply accepted?

We have a big problem in AFL with head injuries, yes. We also have a big problem - Chris Scott I would say more than most - with just accepting umpires decisions.

A yellow-card and red-card system in AFL is far overdue.

Yep umps can't be trusted ?

Effie would send off six blokes a game .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back