Roast Tonight's Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

That was as ropeable as I have ever been at umpiring during a game. Was pleased the 3AW guys agreed it was rubbish and we were done over.

Thought I'd take the win and get over it and then David Schwartz managed only to say this morning on 7 that that last wrong decison against Black "cost the Lions a spot in the 8".

The only reason they were close was the help they got from inconsistent umpiring and that last quarter run of charity frees. (That and our poor conversion rate, which no-one is mentioning - if we'd kicked straighter even the green flogs couldn't have made it a contest.)

But how good was our booing as the umpires were leaving the ground :thumbsu:

Yeah, we stuck around to send them off.

But very few stuck around to see the team sing the song on the screen 2 minutes later.

The club has to make a stand and ask the AFL some hard questions about this nonsense.
Video replays should be in evidence.
It is time for Gischen to be sacked for incompetence and bringing the game into disrepute.
Notice the whinging and crying from the ChokerDogs when Bid Bad Barry was touched, they got him off.
It's time for our admin to stand up for our team and get some
answers. As members we demand some action.

The umpiring was absolutely disgusting tonight, it was inconsistent and certainly didn't appear fair. Does anyone know how many goals came from Brisbane frees/50s and how many for us?

I hope the footy department is putting together a tape of a number of incidents that highlight the inconsitency (the incident when it was play on when Staker was tackled and then an instant later Spud is pinged holding the ball that resulted in a goal is a prime example) and that Eugene, JB, The Chief take it to Geesh and ask for detailed explanations on all the decisions.

North players were being pinged for HOB but Brisbane players weren't, North players were being penalised 50s for things that Brisbane players weren't.

There were also a number of holding the ball decisions paid against us where the contact looked very high - I thought the head was sacred. Seems like some heads are more sacred than others.

Even though Hale had an absolute shocker (and deserves to be dropped) there was an incident in the third quarter where he is going for the ball close to the goal square and his hand is grabbed by the defender clearly stopping his contest for the ball yet somehow the OPSM sponsored umpires were blind to it.

I haven't had the benefit of seeing a replay of any of the incidents - they are just the ones I can recall.

The umpiring was an absolute disgrace.
Totally agree. It's partly a matter of educating our young players so they know what the umps are instructed to pay ; and partly a matter of putting some heat on Gieschen & his geese to let them know they can't screw North & expect to get away with it.

As for Hale : he was crap last night, but it could have been different. He was clearly infringed in hsi first 2 marking attempts (first an arm-chop, then a shove in the back), both ignored. Had the frees been paid, it could have made a big difference to his confidence.

The other one thatannoyed the hell out of me invovled one of the other umps. He stood 5 metres away and watched McMahon & Clark having a go at each other near Brisbane's 50m line, talking trash & exchanging bumps. The ball was in our forward 50, when suddenly the ump blew the whistle and paid Clark a free. Clearly, he was just watching, doing nothing, and pounced on the slightest excuse to give Brisbane a free.

It is interesting to note that the bald one is a serving senior police office.
Knowing the history of our police force and their connections to the criminal betting agencies, it is time for the AFL to disqualify all police personnel from
umpiring.

The bizzare thing is that after we were crucified as much as I can remember, all the media can talk about is the incorrect free against Black. FFS.
Was it really a handpass? I only saw it live, when it looked to be a blatant throw.

If it was in fact a handpass : KARMA. :)

(And the demonstrative way he argued with the ump was clearly more worthy of a 50 than Pratt's comment.)

Still have a croaky voice from Saturday night. That is the most vocal ive been at a footy game im always loud with support but i dont normally vent my frustration with the umpires but on Sat Night i couldnt hold it in Nicholls was an effing disgrace i was at the werribee game on saturday and the umpires there did a better job hope that prick dont umpire in any of our games again worst umpire period...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it really a handpass? I only saw it live, when it looked to be a blatant throw.

If it was in fact a handpass : KARMA. :)

(And the demonstrative way he argued with the ump was clearly more worthy of a 50 than Pratt's comment.)

Yeah it was a handpass (saw it on Fox Sports Replay). Nice guess from our favourite umpire!

Heard that the match review panel has given Fevola points - would rather have had a free on the night - and a fine to Black for his dissent - would rather have had 50 on the night. Look forward to the Giesch's explanation getting wide publicity.

Yeah it was a handpass (saw it on Fox Sports Replay). Nice guess from our favourite umpire!

The whole handpass rule is a farce. Black definately used a throwing motion to propel that ball so far. It wasn't the impact from his fist that sent the ball so high and far.

But under the rules if your fist is touching the ball it seems it is legal to scoop or throw the ball. They may as well let guys use a two handed scoop if this type of action is allowed to pass as a handball.

The whole handpass rule is a farce. Black definately used a throwing motion to propel that ball so far. It wasn't the impact from his fist that sent the ball so high and far.

But under the rules if your fist is touching the ball it seems it is legal to scoop or throw the ball. They may as well let guys use a two handed scoop if this type of action is allowed to pass as a handball.

Exactly. Its just like the two handed throw over the head, except one hand is a fist. It still should be a throw but the umpires never call it.

Booing actually makes Nicholls hard. True story.

We had the run of the green for a few decisions but having said that I disagree with a couple of the complaints that have been put forward (but hey, that's footy). Saturday night was the first time we have been the team not crucified by Nicholls' excessive meddling with the ebbs and flows of the game, which was a strange feeling.

There's a theory going around that he generally favors the away teams as every time we've had him at the Gabba he has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Anyway congrats on the win, Greenwood must have a horse shoe up his arse or something, but congrats nonetheless.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Greenwood must have a horse shoe up his arse or something

Given how many easy ones we missed in the second half (Wright and Hansen ones in particular) this one was bound to go in just based on the law of averages.

correct
Black picked the ball up sliding towards our goals with his Right hand and somehow manages to propel it 25m towards their CHF position.
Just try it now in front of the computer.
You can't just hurl it over your shoulder towards your goals and let it brush your left fist and call it a handpass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back