Top ten since 1980

Remove this Banner Ad

After seeing the thread on the AFL board about the best players since 1980 I wanted to see who people thought the Dogs best were. Heres mine:
1) Kelvin Templeton
2) Chris Grant
3) Doug Hawkins
4) Scott Wynd
5) Scott West
6) Brian Royal
7) Peter Foster
8) Rick Kennedy
9) Terry Wallace
10) Tony Liberatore

Apologies to Simon Beasley, Steve Wallis, Jim Edmond, Leon Cameron, Brad Hardie, Tony Mc Guiness, Andrew Purser, Steve McPherson and Brad Johnson.

By the way I probably have a bias towards players of the nineties, players I can remember watching. I have also most likely forgetten countless players as I did this fairly quickly

Templeton only played well until 1980, he didn't play in '81 and was finished by '82. In '83, Melbourne very kindly gave us a lot of money ($250K from memory) for someone who could barely move and could only kick about 30 m.

His '77-'80 form would place him at no. 1 on this list, but as the criteria was only from '80 onwards, I haven't included him.

1. Grant
2. Hawkins
3. West
4. Liberatore
5. Royal
6. Wynd
7. Wallis
8. Foster
9. Johnson
10. Cameron

1. Christ Grant
2. Peter Foster
3. Doug Hawkins
4. Scott West
5. Magic McLean
6. Rick Kennedy
7. Leon Cameron
8. Brian Royal
9. Steve Wallis
10. Scott Wynd

Sorry I couldn't find room for Libba and Brad Hardie :(

Bloody hard thing to do...

In fact too hard...

Almost agree with both of the 10 posted...

Ok here's mine.

1- Chris Grant
2- Scott West
3- Doug Hawkins
4- Simon Beasley
5- Brian Royal
6- Tony Liberatore
7- Scott Wynd
8- Steve Wallis
9- Brad Johnson
10- Peter Foster

Wow, that was so hard. I must say that I think you guys underrate Beasley's career. 574 goals from 154 games, that's amaing.

Having hardly missed a game since 1982 my top ten are :

1. Hawkins - Brilliant most skillful player ever seen at club.
2. Grant - Versatile, solid, inspirational, rarely beaten.
3. Royal - Showed the value of a true rover, lethal forward, never missed when he shaked his head prior to kicking.
4. McGuiness - Match winner, fast, deadly long left foot, ran through lines effortlessly.
5. West - Consistent, ball magnet, huge work rate, best dogs centreman in last two decades.
6. Wynd - Great tap ruckman, incredible second efforts, best defensive ruckman in AFL during the period.
7. Foster - Solid as a rock CHB, great hands, beat everyone incl. Kernahan, Loewe, Brereton.
8. Johnson - Ultimate utility player, can virtually play anywhere and win his position, except obviously ruck. Extremely damaging.
9. Liberatore - Toughest bloke in the league.......bar none.
10. Beasley - Consistent goalkicker, great focal point, accurate, great leading and chest marking. Record speaks for itself.

Apologies to the following : Purser, Kennedy, Wallis, Wallace, Hardie, Templeton (only 1980)

A few people have left out Rick Kennedy. Personally I think he was a great captain and an excellent backman. Possibly the only guy Plugger Lockett was scared of. I loved the way he would fall on top of forwards after they marked, that huge lump of leg and the time he rode Dunstall like a surfboard.
I wish him and Peter Foster were still playing as we would have no backline problems.

I also remember Peter Gordon speech at the 89 rally saying "I remember Rick Kennedy hitting someone there and there and there, etc"

A case of white line fever.

Originally posted by Chops
A few people have left out Rick Kennedy. Personally I think he was a great captain and an excellent backman. Possibly the only guy Plugger Lockett was scared of. I loved the way he would fall on top of forwards after they marked, that huge lump of leg and the time he rode Dunstall like a surfboard.
I wish him and Peter Foster were still playing as we would have no backline problems.

I also remember Peter Gordon speech at the 89 rally saying "I remember Rick Kennedy hitting someone there and there and there, etc"

A case of white line fever.

I remember Plugger admitting on "tough guys of footy" that Ricky Kennedy was scary "when his eyeballs started rolling back into his head".

I also remember Plugger sitting on top of Kennedy belting the living suitcase out of him.

Originally posted by jim440

I remember Plugger admitting on "tough guys of footy" that Ricky Kennedy was scary "when his eyeballs started rolling back into his head".

I also remember Plugger sitting on top of Kennedy belting the living suitcase out of him.
I have the same image of Matty Dent when he played for Fitzroy.He started a fight with Lockett and was in complete strife within seconds.

1.Grant
2.Hawkins
3.Royal(just about my favourite all time footy player mainly because i thought his name was chocolate when i was a kid)
4.West
5.Wynd(If his knees didnt give out would probably be number 1)
6.Foster
7.Johnson
8.Wallis
9.Beasly
10.Libba

I have really only watched games since 1992, but games like the 1985 preliminary final, and bits and pieces of games between then and 1992 will be included. I will probably only include 2 players who played before 1992 though. Here goes.

1. Chris Grant - (What more can be said)
2. Simon Beasley - (1985 and 1986 champion)
3. Steve Mcpherson - (cant believe no-one has rated him)
4. Scott West - (came close to winning the brownlow twice)
5. Peter Foster - (champion CHB)
6. Danny Del-rei - (legend he was)
7. Steve Wallis - (now we're talking)
8. Doug Hawkins - great wingmen)
9. Kelvin Templeton - (played some good games)
10. Brian choco royal - (good from the games I seen)

Originally posted by X_box_X
I have really only watched games since 1992, but games like the 1985 preliminary final, and bits and pieces of games between then and 1992 will be included. I will probably only include 2 players who played before 1992 though. Here goes.

Super was great and very popular, but he wasn't as good as a lot of others. He was hard, reliable and consistent but he didn't have the class of the others.
And if Kelvin is included he'd have to be ahead of Snozza and most of the others. Kelvin had one good year in the eighties, in wwhich he won the brownlow, in Snozzas good year he kicked 72 goals. And I know it is since the eighties, but if you included anyone who had played in the eighties and not just how they played in that decade he'd have to be top 3.

Originally posted by X_box_X

Sorry, X-Box, but I think you've stuggled.

- Del'Re would not even be considered.
- McPherson would not be in the 10, let alone 3rd
- Scotty Wynd would have to be in the 10

This is mine (it might not be any better) Im not including Templeton coz he only played for a small part of the 80's

1. Grant
2. Hawkins
3. West (we take him for granted)
4. Royal
5. Wynd (best ruckman of the 90's)
6. Beasley (my first ever favourite player)
7. Libber (my favourite player of all time)
8. Wallis
9. McGuiness (my second ever favourite player)
10. Foster

Apolgies to Kennedy, Hardie, Edmond, Cameron, Atkins, Johnson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Hawkins-Easily the most skillfull player at the club in my time.
2. Grant-Versatile, tough and more courage than any of us realise.
3. Foster-Great mark, played at CHF and CHB for the Big Vee not many have done that.
4. Royal-Best small man/mid-fielder at the club in my time
5. West-Three top three Brownlow finishes and five B&Fs
6. Libba-My favorite player over this period.
7. Johnson-Still to see his best, but what weve seen already has been brilliant.
8. Wallis-Started as a brilliant centreman, changed his game on Malthouses advice and became a defender who never made a mistake-lost the captaincy and stayed at the club to play his best footy.
9. McLean-Sensational skills, never got caught or turned the ball over.
10.Kennedy-Togh as nails Full-Back who had it over every Full-Forward he played on.

Unlucky-Smith, McPherson, Wallace, McGuiness, Coleman, Edmond, Hardie, Templeton(If this had been 1977-2000, then Templeton would have been top with daylight second)

Originally posted by The_Flying_Egg

6. Beasley (my first ever favourite player)

Mine too!!!!!

1 Chris Grant
2 Doug Hawkins
3 Scott Wynd
4 Scott West
5 Brian Royal
6 Simin Beasley
7 Tony Liberatore
8 Steven Wallis
9 Peter Foster
10 Brad Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad