List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You likely right 7 is a funny pick in a way.

Eg we were two picks up we'd have Bont picked.... hmmmmm

It's not bad as a 1 off (on the way down or on the way up after bottoming out) but repeatedly year after year of it, or similar picks during a rebuild more often then not gets you a good but not great player needed to help drag you out of mediocrity.

PS i was using pick 3 because that is the pick in which Judd went at in your player comparison.
You were comparing a top 3 pick to pick in the teens in different draft periods. A fairer comparison would be two players mid and KPP in the top 5.
I hope we don't get pick 7 as it is the worst place you can possible finish (after repeated similar finishes over a few seasons) in no mans land, finals or bust for mine.

Joel-Selwood.jpg

As I said as a 1 off it is ok and the teams that year were as dumb as dog s**t, injury scared them off of him going top 3. Lucky for Geelong.

The rate at which you can pull a Selwood quality player at pick 7 say compared to a top 3 (or hell even top 5) is at a much lower percentage.

We were hoping Sharenberg would be our version of the lucky Selwood pick.

It's not bad as a 1 off (on the way down or on the way up after bottoming out) but repeatedly year after year of it, or similar picks during a rebuild more often then not gets you a good but not great player needed to help drag you out of mediocrity.
Yep.
Having a top 3 or top 5 be better

As I said as a 1 off it is ok and the teams that year were as dumb as dog s**t, injury scared them off of him going top 3. Lucky for Geelong.

The rate at which you can pull a Selwood quality player at pick 7 say compared to a top 3 (or hell even top 5) is at a much lower percentage.

We were hoping Sharenberg would be our version of the lucky Selwood pick.

image.png

Does anyone else think that if we don't find another key forward that next season could mirror this current one?
I can't believe how poor our list management is.

Deadass none of the top prospects super excite me - I know how much we need midfielders, and I'd honestly offer a top six pick plus spare change/depth player for Hopper+Kennedy from the Giants. Rack up some 2nd-4th round picks and hit up some key position talent and small defenders. With those two our midfield would be complete for close to 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else think that if we don't find another key forward that next season could mirror this current one?
I can't believe how poor our list management is.
Personally I think our lack of pace is the real issue. When we go forward and don't mark the ball we slow and don't really crete anything at ground level and just end up with congested play.

Look at other teams and you see some very average 2nd tall forwards running around. When we play Cox it makes our already slow forward line complete pedestrian. Other teams get away with due to dangerous ground ball players in the forward half. They can turn missed opportunities in to something. It is few and far between with us and most opposition know it.

That's not saying we don't need a 2nd KPF but adding speed and good ground ball forwards adds a dimension we don't have at the moment.

Probably is, but just sick of crying out for a KPP.

We stuffed up big time with the beams trade IMO. Pick 5 had to be a KPP especially when we brought in Greenwood and Crisp.
Surely we will use our 1st pick this year on a KPF I'd throw the kitchen $ink at Dusty as a FA and not bother going after Sam Reid.

IMO, there's an element of hyperbole attached to your post. Aside from 2016 Reid has only missed a string of matches on one other occasion (back end of 2013) since establishing himself in the Swans line up. Durability isn't a strength of his, but nor would I say it's an issue.
The Reids are interesting with a view to stats on games played. To me it's a classic example of why stats don't tell the whole story.

I would argue that the Reid's are injury prone. It's not just games missed. It's a combination of how many games did they play injured (then brought back early for team needs), how many games did it take them to get back to playing good footy after an injury, how many times to they carry a niggle, how many games were consecutive, which affects all of the points I've mentioned.

PS i was using pick 3 because that is the pick in which Judd went at in your player comparison.

You were comparing a top 3 pick to pick in the teens in different draft periods. A fairer comparison would be two players mid and KPP in the top 5.

I hope we don't get pick 7 as it is the worst place you can possible finish (after repeated similar finishes over a few seasons) in no mans land, finals or bust for mine.

Jordan Lewis, Patrick Ryder, Joel Selwood, Daniel Rich, Josh Caddy, Nick Haynes, Ollie Wines say hi

I might know this sounds stupid, but my membership all depends on whether Collingwood use their First pick to draft a KPF. If it's not a KPF, I'm out.

We ****ed up putting ourselves in the situation, but i would more likely cancel my membership if i heard we overlooked a bunch of players we rated higher to get a KPP we didn't rate as much. As much as it hurts to say, go best available and hope like hell we rate a KPP around the mark.

We ****** up putting ourselves in the situation, but i would more likely cancel my membership if i heard we overlooked a bunch of players we rated higher to get a KPP we didn't rate as much. As much as it hurts to say, go best available and hope like hell we rate a KPP around the mark.

Nah, I think we take best available KPP. History has shown that KPP within first rounds are best bets. I think we will be okay for choice. But it'll probably come down to what happened with De GOEY and Wright. We could have gone either way.

Surely we will use our 1st pick this year on a KPF I'd throw the kitchen $ink at Dusty as a FA and not bother going after Sam Reid.
with most of the standouts at the champs so far being mids... Rayner, Naish, Higgins, Davies-Uniacke & throw in a Fogarty who will likely go top 3, we may just have the first pick of KPF's in the land... or at least one of the v good ones. Would love to know who Hine rates highest out of Brander, Hayes, Balta & Sutherland.

With limited knowledge & going by reports only, I'd love for Sutherland to pick AFL and slide to us. Otherwise Fogarty & Rayner sound special, or Balta as a backup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back