List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like McStay too. No idea what it would take to get him, but he re-signed for another two years just a few weeks ago so he's not going anywhere right now. He did admit to thinking about coming home to Vic, so I daresay quite a few clubs will be sniffing around again in 2019. If he keeps tracking as he has been, it would take more than Smith and a late pick I'd think.

I rate him as well. Sticky hands, good closing speed and a left foot only Reid could match on our list currently. With 60 matches under his belt you aren't getting any change out of a top 20 pick if we could convince him to jump ship by some miracle.

I rate him as well. Sticky hands, good closing speed and a left foot only Reid could match on our list currently. With 60 matches under his belt you aren't getting any change out of a top 20 pick if we could convince him to jump ship by some miracle.

If jumping ship from Brisbane was a miracle, the streets would be strewn with saints.
Sounds great. Go hard for him I say - not that I've seen much of him.

Is this topic for people to talk trade targets or to just talk s**t about complete nonsense with actually no relevance... not directed at individuals but been off topic since a long way back

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we're concerned about our age profile and are thus looking at recruiting Trump.

If jumping ship from Brisbane was a miracle, the streets would be strewn with saints.
Sounds great. Go hard for him I say - not that I've seen much of him.

Unfortunately I think that miracle well has run dry now they have a competent coach at the helm, but you never know!

He made the comments in an episode of Open Mike, to be screened on Fox Footy tonight at 8.30pm, in which he detailed Judd's preference at one stage was to join Collingwood.

"I remember Juddy leaning towards Collingwood at one stage, (but) I didn't want him to go to Collingwood because I couldn't have got him there," Connors said.

"They didn't have the picks, it wasn't going to work.

"In the back of my mind, I thought Carlton, Melbourne and Essendon could do the deal.

"Essendon didn't have a coach (at the time). They (Melbourne) didn't have good facilities, they were at the Junction Oval.

"Greg Swann pounded the pavement and worked pretty hard (to get Judd to Carlton)."

What could have been..............
Simple...we would of won the 2011 flag with Judd. Oh well it's in the past now.

Paul Connors on Open Mike tonight confirms Judd wanted to go to the Pies but Connors didn't want him to because the Pies did not have the picks or players to get the deal done and said Carlton was the only team that could get a deal done

I think this is Conners trying to reframe the past. Pretty sure we told Judd to get stuffed after they asked us to match Carltons ridiculous offer which included an under the table "Visy board ambassador" payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs must keep 2018 draft picks unless securing a ready-made superstar, Gary Buckenara writes
GARY BUCKENARA, Herald Sun
42 minutes ago
Subscriber only
THE 2017 draft is shaping up as another even group where not much separates the players in terms of talent and could pave the way for clubs to target positional needs with early picks.

There is a bit for everyone in this draft. In particular there are quite a few tall players — such as taller midfielders — and key position prospects. There are also some clever little small forwards, which some clubs desperately need.

That’s why I say there is a bit for everybody in this draft and clubs could decide to take the opportunity to recruit for positional needs. As this is an even draft my top 30 players, including the top 10, could be different to what occurs on draft night because there isn’t much separating the players in terms of talent.

That’s why I believe clubs can pick players based on what their lists will require in a few years, rather than drafting ‘best available. As I have always said the rule of thumb for the draft is: What you draft today should be what your list needs into the future and to use the trade period for what your list urgently needs now.

In most drafts clubs will address future positional needs in the second or third rounds or later selections because bypassing a future star because you have plenty of that type of player is a dangerous strategy, especially in a total list rebuild. But this year, whether it’s a first-round selection or third-rounder, clubs won’t be afraid to address their needs earlier.

A club, for example, might require a small forward and with their first pick know they can get a good one but there are also a couple of other players there they like but given that club knows it needs a small forward, will just go for it.

The other aspect of this year’s draft occurs a lot sooner than draft night and that’s the trade period. Trade talks between clubs are about a lot more than blindly offering up a draft pick because it’s easier when you don’t know who that player will be. Supporters are happy to give up a pick No.6 or No.7 or No.28 or whatever it may be as it’s all hypothetical as to who the club will select with that pick.

But this year there is a difference and it will be interesting to see how clubs approach the trading of future draft picks given the strength of the 2018 draft crop. In all trade discussions clubs will have an idea of what player or type of player it can get if it accepts a trade for a player in exchange for a draft selection.

This draft is even but next year’s is touted as one of the best in a long time and so 2018 picks — in the first and second round and even the third round — will be hotly sought-after and considered extremely valuable. It looks like, at this stage, the top 50 selections will all be nice players.

If I was sitting at the trade table this year, I would not be trading away a 2018 draft pick — particularly a first-rounder — unless I was getting something special in return. And I mean one of the best players in the competition.

A player of Josh Kelly’s ilk is the type I am thinking.

I wouldn’t be surprised if clubs, particularly those rebuilding, ask for picks in next year’s draft rather than this year’s. Or if list managers and recruiters are smart in their negotiating and trying to get one up on a rival by overselling the importance of a 2017 pick over a 2018.

But clubs should be aware of just how strong next year’s crop is looking and so should be doing all they can to hold on to their 2018 selections.

Fasolo for Walters!?
If you were Ross the boss, would you do that trade?

Then again If we flung back a third rounder & or Blair, I can see that as doable.

Make it happen magic genie wish machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back