Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we want players in Dahl's age group not ones at retirement age
ideally yes, but there are no worthy or realistic free agents. If Dahl leaves via FA we need to get a FA coming back in. Mundy would be great in that situation and actually offer something to our young midfielders who don't have anyone to teach them. But Mundy might not be realistic anyway.

ideally yes, but there are no worthy or realistic free agents. If Dahl leaves via FA we need to get a FA coming back in. Mundy would be great in that situation and actually offer something to our young midfielders who don't have anyone to teach them. But Mundy might not be realistic anyway.
unlikely he does.

pass on mundy too.. too old

That deal hurt at the time and is not getting any better as time passes. We suck at deals.
Of all Jmacs deals this one annoys me the most I think.

Points aren’t the best way to judge but if you add 16 & 40 that’s 1496.

24 (our pick if the ladder remains) 28 & 30 equals 2091.

Consider only two years earlier we traded pick 11 (1329 points) for 20 & 21 (1790 total) PLUS we gave them our future 3rd rounder for their future 4th rounder. The mind boggles

It got us Richards who I like as much as the next guy but I’m not sure he is worth that sacrifice. Given this draft is meant to be so great could we have not got someone as good as him with 24 this year?

I know we used 40 as part of the Schache trade but we could have reworked that surely. Could have given them 28 & 30 for Schache and pick 54.

It says to me that we were quite desperate to turn Stringer into a 1st rounder and to do it we have given away a really useful pick at a time when we are rebuilding.

This isn’t a knock on Richards, I like him. But we gave up a few key pieces to land him.

Posted this in the wrong thread:

I’d give up our first pick to try & gain 2 good first round picks, then use both of those to get 2 guns from other clubs. Maybe Gold Coast as they are swimming in early picks yet again.

A natural goal kicking forward & a damaging mid please.

Looks like we might have a top six pick this year, given our needs I wonder if we’ll try and turn that into a later first rounder and a second. You’d also have to think we’d try and trade out a couple of list cloggers for 3rd or 4th rounders, or at least pick upgrades. Gives more points as well as the potential to pick up someone who drops lower than expected.

Edit: obviously many others have said similar things, I just haven’t read through the whole thread.

We have a lot of players to move on at the end of the year and the major issue is that they aren’t worth anything so we can’t cash in.

I don’t see the following guys taking us anywhere due to injuries or not being up to it.

Collins
Campbell
C Smith
Redpath
Honeychurch
Webb
Roberts
Roughead
Jong

Of those
Jong
Honeychurch
C Smith
Collins
Campbell
Roughead

Are out of contract and none would fetch us anything of value.

We need to add some good ball users, some speed and some natural forwards to our list but we don’t have the assets to do that unless we punt on the draft.

I also think we need a number one ruck, English is going to be a ripper but he’s still 2 years off being able to handle the week in week out number one ruck spot.

I just can’t see how we fix our list this year, unfortunately I think it will take a couple of years to fix all the areas that need fixing

Watching the Pies roll over us demonstrated how the game has never been more reliant on midfield depth and running power and yet our list management strategy has been so lopsided in the last 3 years. Some examples:

Why get Greene if we already got Lipinski and Dunks previously?
Why get Young when we got Collins and re-contracted Fletcher?
Why keep Campbell and offer.him 2 years when we already had Roughy, Boyd and just drafted English?
Why offer Redders a 2 year deal when we traded for Schache?
Why get NM-M when we already have Boyd and Redders?
Why keep Brad Lynch as a rookie for 4 years when we have a plethora of running half backs?
Why get Crozier for the same reason?
Why get Trengove when we have about 8 full backs (even though half of them are always injured)?
Why not draft or recruit a mid since Dunkley?
Why not replace mid depth when guys like Hrovat and Stevens left?

*credit to Sedat whom I stole much of this from

Our list strategy has left us with a tall, injury prone list when just a few years ago it was us and the Pies that had the highest mid rotation. Hard to believe we have over corrected so badly.

Massive work to do this off season but looking at some of the above decisions, I'm ecstatic that JMac won't be making any of them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Real industry talks a year ago that Ollie Wines was considering returning to Vic. I posted it then and I'm going again with it. Being courted big time. No idea whether he's in or out of contract but his management is moving and shaking. Could resign tomorrow. I have no clue. Just what's being bandied about.

Ollie for pick 6 + next years first? I'd give up a freakin' lot for him. Port would also ask a king's ransom for him.

Watching the Pies roll over us demonstrated how the game has never been more reliant on midfield depth and running power and yet our list management strategy has been so lopsided in the last 3 years. Some examples:

Why get Greene if we already got Lipinski and Dunks previously?
Why get Young when we got Collins and re-contracted Fletcher?
Why keep Campbell and offer.him 2 years when we already had Roughy, Boyd and just drafted English?
Why offer Redders a 2 year deal when we traded for Schache?
Why get NM-M when we already have Boyd and Redders?
Why keep Brad Lynch as a rookie for 4 years when we have a plethora of running half backs?
Why get Crozier for the same reason?
Why get Trengove when we have about 8 full backs (even though half of them are always injured)?
Why not draft or recruit a mid since Dunkley?
Why not replace mid depth when guys like Hrovat and Stevens left?

*credit to Sedat whom I stole much of this from

Our list strategy has left us with a tall, injury prone list when just a few years ago it was us and the Pies that had the highest mid rotation. Hard to believe we have over corrected so badly.

Massive work to do this off season but looking at some of the above decisions, I'm ecstatic that JMac won't be making any of them.
I'd like to be able to refute some of this...but I can't. God we've slipped out of contention quickly. And largely self-inflicted.

I'd like to be able to refute some of this...but I can't. God we've slipped out of contention quickly. And largely self-inflicted.

Perhaps now you will see what I was tryin to say mate.

I’ve been negative because that’s what we have been since Oct 16.

I started with the complete inaction at the trade period and has carried to this day.

The issue is not only have we slipped from contention but we aren’t even close to moving back into it.

Real industry talks a year ago that Ollie Wines was considering returning to Vic. I posted it then and I'm going again with it. Being courted big time. No idea whether he's in or out of contract but his management is moving and shaking. Could resign tomorrow. I have no clue. Just what's being bandied about.

Ollie for pick 6 + next years first? I'd give up a freakin' lot for him. Port would also ask a king's ransom for him.

Wines will sign with Port in the next fort night

Perhaps now you will see what I was tryin to say mate.

I’ve been negative because that’s what we have been since Oct 16.

I started with the complete inaction at the trade period and has carried to this day.

The issue is not only have we slipped from contention but we aren’t even close to moving back into it.
Matt...you are not the only person who has been critical of aspects of the club. I'm pretty sure I was the first on here to call Beveridge out early in 2017 for the arrogance he showed in simultaneously shifting every single assistant to new and unfamiliar roles. Others have been critical of various aspects of the club's administration.

You, however, seem to be completely negative about almost every aspect of the club and it gets very predictable, very tiring, and sucks the life out of conversation on here. Many posters here are sick of it...including me.

It's a pity you choose to do that because you obviously have some great things to contribute, however you just drown everybody in negativity and criticism of the club and ridicule everyone on here who dares not to agree with your doom and gloom outlook.

I’d be against Wines. He’s a bull, but Libba can come back and be that bull. Dunkley could potentially offer that if they leave him in the midfield.

If I’m Sam Power, there’s no way I’m trading pick 6ish this year. No way.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Load up next year and chase Josh Kelly. That’s what we need. We need class and oodles of it. Guys like Gowers can come in and provide some aggression. Agression is cheap. Class is expensive.

Dahl can get us a second round pick. Trade it. Bring some experience in from elsewhere.

We at best could get a third rounder for Roughead or upgrade some late picks for him.

It’ll be tough but some cheapies can be found. Hamling and Biggs are examples for us. Marley Williams at Kangas etc.

Aaron Hall could be cheap at seasons end. I wouldn’t be against a nibble at Jayden Hunt.

Maybe go and get some experience from state level. Hell, we could do worse than get in Monfries ear and entice him to play AFL again for a year or two.

I’d be against Wines. He’s a bull, but Libba can come back and be that bull. Dunkley could potentially offer that if they leave him in the midfield.

If I’m Sam Power, there’s no way I’m trading pick 6ish this year. No way.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Load up next year and chase Josh Kelly. That’s what we need. We need class and oodles of it. Guys like Gowers can come in and provide some aggression. Agression is cheap. Class is expensive.

Dahl can get us a second round pick. Trade it. Bring some experience in from elsewhere.

We at best could get a third rounder for Roughead or upgrade some late picks for him.

It’ll be tough but some cheapies can be found. Hamling and Biggs are examples for us. Marley Williams at Kangas etc.

Aaron Hall could be cheap at seasons end. I wouldn’t be against a nibble at Jayden Hunt.

Maybe go and get some experience from state level. Hell, we could do worse than get in Monfries ear and entice him to play AFL again for a year or two.

I think this is a pretty good idea and one we could look at. Trading our first this year + fringe player for a first next year and a second rounder this year gives us more points for West this year and 2 firsts to obtain a big fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back