Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an unbelievable amount of disrespect shown to Dunkley in this thread. He's a Bulldogs premiership player, and after the ill-advised trade attempt two years ago, he gave us two fantastic years including a grand final last year and what will likely a top 3 B&F finish this year. The amount of 'well I never liked him anyway' and barbs about his personal life is pathetic. Dunkley was an excellent player for us, and one of the few players who gave their all consistently, and you can't ask for much more than that.
He is a selfish prick who played limited selfish football for two years. We are well rid of him and his self-absorbed nonsense.

He was gifted a flag in his first year and was carried for several injury ridden years after. That we still have people defending him is amazing. Some really do enjoy being kicked in the face.

He is a selfish prick who played limited selfish football for two years. We are well rid of him and his self-absorbed nonsense.

He was gifted a flag in his first year and was carried for several injury ridden years after. That we still have people defending him is amazing. Some really do enjoy being kicked in the face.
He got injured from having to ruck many of those years and He wasn't selfish at all. He did his best to help his team mates and was 1 of the few willing to defend and chase.

More I think about it the more I’m happy with the situation dealing with Brissy, it’s not a top 10 pick but sounds like it’s a fairly even first round this draft anyway & we have the potential to get into the top 20 in a big way whilst having 2x first rounders next year which are quite valuable and can allow us to shape the lift.

I really think we should be in on Darcy Gardiner as he’d be a solid inclusion too our backline & we’re in the funny position that we could game the system a little bit & potentially craft our own pick out of thin air depending on how much salary we’re willing to use, with Brissy agreeing to ship the pick back.

Does 700/2 years get band 2? We know 750/3 got band 1 for Daniher. Then extend him for years 3 & 4 on 300k per year evening out to 2mil/4 which is still big overs for a player like Gardiner but I’d do it if it got us an extra pick inside the top 20 and considering he’s an upgrade on what we have
There was a comment on here earlier, saying Gardeners body is not going to hold. After Martin, no more old players from Brisbane thanks.

Also just on Martin, he told Schache when he played against him in 2020, that his body was cooked and he was going to retire, next thing Bulldogs recruit him. He would have been ok a few years prior.

If Tobias can return to form and fitness he's a better player than Dunkley. Add in more minutes for Treloar and Smith and not to mention West and Garcia and we actually end up with a net positive next year.

Hopefully we actually play these guys.
If Toby can see some midfield minutes, there's no doubt that the ball use coming out will be much better.

For all that Dosh used to do getting the ball out, his foot skills are ordinary at best

There's an unbelievable amount of disrespect shown to Dunkley in this thread. He's a Bulldogs premiership player, and after the ill-advised trade attempt two years ago, he gave us two fantastic years including a grand final last year and what will likely a top 3 B&F finish this year. The amount of 'well I never liked him anyway' and barbs about his personal life is pathetic. Dunkley was an excellent player for us, and one of the few players who gave their all consistently, and you can't ask for much more than that.

There's an unbelievable amount of disrespect shown to everyone who has an alternative opinion on this board.......

He got injured from having to ruck many of those years and He wasn't selfish at all. He did his best to help his team mates and was 1 of the few willing to defend and chase.
He never got injured in the ruck. Where did that come from?

He complained about playing forward, complained about rucking. These are not the actions of a team player. If you watched him these last two years he rarely laid a shepherd and rarely gave off to teammates in better positions. He played for himself. That's fine. But we're well rid of him.

Sam Power appears to have an ability to keep everything in house. Time will tell, but if the talk ends up true and we no longer have Dunkley, JJ & Hunter on the books - what players is he targeting with all that cap space freed up?

There was a comment on here earlier, saying Gardeners body is not going to hold. After Martin, no more old players from Brisbane thanks.

Also just on Martin, he told Schache when he played against him in 2020, that his body was cooked and he was going to retire, next thing Bulldogs recruit him. He would have been ok a few years prior.
He’s only 27 and aside from a shoulder reco last year seems to play good number of games every year. I’m not sure where that info that his body won’t hold comes from? If that’s the case then obviously no deal but I’ll leave that up to the club to do their due diligence. If healthy he’d be a decent addition for us as a mid sized defender with a very defensive mindset who can play on a variety of different players.

He’s definitely no superstar but I’d be willing to use some cap space over the next two years (providing we have it which we should) to help generate extra assets for us.

Would mean something like

In: Gardner, 15, 19, ‘23 first rounder
Out: Dunks, 29, 37

That’d be a win IMO, take 11, 15, 19 to the draft this year & try and trade out our 2x ‘23 first rounders for a mid like Callaghan next season to start rejuvenating the midfield.

When I find myself missing Dunks at least I can always go back and read some of the words of the man himself, and reminisce about the good times. Like from here.. The Dunkley Diaries: New website, homemade sushi, corona testing and footy's coming back!

"We then started cleaning up and disinfected the gym equipment and tidied up everything. When I clean up I like to do it properly"

Me too, Dunks, me too.

"Whilst answering a few JKLD emails I managed to cook dinner. Once dinner was completed and everything was washed up, I then headed upstairs again to play Fortnite with a cup of tea and choc chip cookie, which Lara had made. Lara had been baking"

mmm cookies. It's like I'm sitting right there with him!
It’s society’s loss that Dunkley is even bothering himself with footy when he could be dazzling us with his memoirs. I, for one, cannot rest another minute without hearing more about Josh’s latest meal options and general admin.

He’s only 27 and aside from a shoulder reco last year seems to play good number of games every year. I’m not sure where that info that his body won’t hold comes from? If that’s the case then obviously no deal but I’ll leave that up to the club to do their due diligence. If healthy he’d be a decent addition for us as a mid sized defender with a very defensive mindset who can play on a variety of different players.

He’s definitely no superstar but I’d be willing to use some cap space over the next two years (providing we have it which we should) to help generate extra assets for us.

Would mean something like

In: Gardner, 15, 19, ‘23 first rounder
Out: Dunks, 29, 37

That’d be a win IMO, take 11, 15, 19 to the draft this year & try and trade out our 2x ‘23 first rounders for a mid like Callaghan next season to start rejuvenating the midfield.
3 first rounders and Gardiner? We’re not getting all that from Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right player, wrong year. It’s a shame because a few rounds in it looked a great trade, but he’s cooked.

I'd be saying to Brisbane, "You want Josh? The price is 86 first rounders. If you don't pay up, we will start cutting off fingers, toes and pieces of flesh every day until you either change your mind or there's nothing left of him."
Imagine a negotiation team of Sam 'look into my eyes' Power, Chopper Read, Mick Gatto and the Comancheros.

A fairly pessimistic friend of mine has just messaged to tell me this is 2014 all over again!

Says Dunkley, Hunter and JJ are Griffen, Cooney and Higgins, and he's waiting for Bevo to announce his resignation.
On the plus side, he thinks that means McCluggage will then ask to be traded to us. o_O

On that basis, we will win a flag in 2024 - but will it be McLean or Richards who jumps on JUH's back after the "stadium holds its breath"(again)?!

3 first rounders and Gardiner? We’re not getting all that from Brisbane.
Gardeners a FA, and in my proposal we’d be paying massive overs for him (700k/2, then extend for a further 2 at 300k = 500k/4) to generate the end of first round which otherwise doesn’t exist for them.

Then getting that pick (say ~20) + 15 & ‘23 first rounder, for 29 & 37 = a points differential of 1900 which values him at around pick 5, but when you take into account that pick 20 doesn’t exist without us overpaying Gardiner, + one picks a future first rounder of a flag contender (is worth less than the equivalent this year) it’s pretty close to spot on in value.

It’s literally less than just 15 + 15 (ie first this year & next)

Can find them a few more points if need be (ie future 3rd etc)

I'd be saying to Brisbane, "You want Josh? The price is 86 first rounders. If you don't pay up, we will start cutting off fingers, toes and pieces of flesh every day until you either change your mind or there's nothing left of him."
I'm pretty sure there's nothing specific in AFL rules to prevent this - but you can bet after we get the trade over the line and Dunkley still has 8 fingers left, the AFL will implement a rule just to spite the Western Bulldogs. It'll be the "third man up" change all over again.

But imagine how many inside mids, half back flankers and Footscray players we can draft with 86 first rounders?!
Or "hey Eagles, is Barrass still required if we offer you.... da-da-da-daaa - 16 first rounders!?"

Dunkley was anything but selfish on the field 😂

Off field sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back