Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ah I thought the 19 was McStay compo. I thought the afl shut those kind of deals down.
Not sure, Brissy seemed to get away with it for Daniher last year but it’s a bit of a grey area if the teams then trading the pick back. But the AFL don’t seem to ever do anything so who cares get creative & rort the system IMO.

Either way point I was getting at was we can make a winning situation out of it and target 3 good picks & give them points back and it’s a win-win for both, exact picks going back will obviously need to be worked out

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It makes far greater sense for Brisbane to part with two first rounders for Dunkley and trade the 3rd 1st rounder for a bunch of picks from the Gold Coast for points.
It's just the same deal though isn't it? They've traded out 3 1sts and got some spare change points back. As long as we can muster up the required spare change points, it's cleaner just to deal with us

CDBulldog

All Australian
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When I find myself missing Dunks at least I can always go back and read some of the words of the man himself, and reminisce about the good times. Like from here.. The Dunkley Diaries: New website, homemade sushi, corona testing and footy's coming back!

"We then started cleaning up and disinfected the gym equipment and tidied up everything. When I clean up I like to do it properly"

Me too, Dunks, me too.

"Whilst answering a few JKLD emails I managed to cook dinner. Once dinner was completed and everything was washed up, I then headed upstairs again to play Fortnite with a cup of tea and choc chip cookie, which Lara had made. Lara had been baking"

mmm cookies. It's like I'm sitting right there with him!
Holy molly, what have I been missing.. Brilliant, witty, insightful, awe inspiring even…….. Ms CDBulldog and I need to be more like Lara and Dunks. They make me feel so inadequate. Is there anything this power couple can’t do?

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It makes far greater sense for Brisbane to part with two first rounders for Dunkley and trade the 3rd 1st rounder for a bunch of picks from the Gold Coast for points.
Well sure but they still have to satisfy our wants first & foremost, we can force them to deal with us with their high picks because we have the thing they want.

plus in the original hypothetical that started this we were generating the extra end of first rounder by overpaying for Gardiner, in the event of them sending it back. They’d still have 27, 39 (& probably another late pick from us) & their McStay compo to trade to GC and make points easily

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's just the same deal though isn't it? They've traded out 3 1sts and got some spare change points back. As long as we can muster up the required spare change points, it's cleaner just to deal with us

Not necessarily since Gold Coast have three 2nd round picks. Brisbane could get a lot more points out of them then what we could give.

Jen Geoffings

Senior List
Jul 7, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Firebirds
its just a matter of huff and puff and bluff, same as with a contracted player, Sammy is not going to accept unders cause he's uncontracted, there is no reason to. Brisb and Dunkley need to work hard to get this over the line, and i imagine the deal is already done in principal.
Of course it will be. All this beating up on Dunks for not saying anything has been ridiculous. Dunks silence has most likely been at the request of both clubs - clean air for the Lions to get through the finals and a possible Brownlow win and for both to nut out the broad parameters of a possible deal. Just issues management 101 really.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Elaborate on this a bit. From my viewpoint Dunkley never pulled out of a contest, often smothered the ball and was the clubs best tackler.

In what way was he playing selfishly?
I posted it earlier. He did those things absolutely. But he's a slow, blunt instrument, if he didn't do those things he wouldn't be a seen as a good player.

He didn't lay shepherds or blocks for teammates and he rarely gave the ball off to teammates in better positions preferring to blind kick or look for Treloar. Watch Libba or Bont as an example of someone who does this, often forgoing bigger numbers for the betterment of the team.

Then there's the refusal to play roles that were better for the team either forward or pinch hitting in the ruck. Whatever your feelings on these moves Bont and Macrae do so with minimal fuss. When it was Dunkley he's playing it out in the media.

These are not the actions of a player with a team/club mindset. Now that's fine, there's all types and we certainly benefited from his play over the years but to say he gave his all for the club is not true. He gave his all for himself.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we should just bank draft picks and look to the future. I can't see this list winning a flag with the current defenders we have but it's well set up to have a crack in the near future when Darcy and Jamarra have matured a bit + English fully developing.

Why don’t we just strengthen the backline rather than put the Que in the rack? Our 22 will still be strong through the midfield over the next few years and our fwd line is on a huge trajectory. Would be silly looking to the future now.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This. Plus main factor being we have what they want. If they’d prefer to deal with GC that’s fine but we’re taking our ball & going home 😂

Claythesmiths

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Brisbane will trade their future first for two picks this year. Not sure with who, could be Gold Coast, GWS, or any number of teams. Clubs always find a way to do these deals when they need to, and they get creative. Just for sake of argument they trade their future 1st for picks 25 and 31 from Gold Coast, that leaves them with the following after McStay's compo, which is likely to be pick 19:

15, 19, 25, 31, 33, 44

They can then trade 15 and 19 to us for Dunkley, perhaps with 29 going back.

They then have:

25, 29, 31, 33, 44 which totals to 2,940 points if my quick addition serves me correct, which is enough points to easily match a bid for Ashcroft and then has some left over for Fletcher too. And they maintain most of their 2023 draft hand.

This is all theoretical, of course, but I think it shows how easily they can and will get this deal done.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Biggest disappointment with Dunks I think was last year. Before his injury teams just couldn’t win the ball against us. Him and Stef brought us back to the pack

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Destination was not important. He just wanted out.

Clearly hated being at the club.

Stuffed it up first time due to dodo and was never gonna re sign.

Next chance he got and boom, out the door. Was offered matching money by us and still not interested.

Hope the players feel unloved.

Spot on. Have zero respect for the bloke.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So what exactly will Brisbane be trading us for Dunkley? Won't they be spending all of this year's picks on some father sons or academy kids?
This year's first plus next year's first (approx 15 plus 15).

Then they downgrade McStay compo (19) and their second (33) for later picks/points. And use them plus their 3rd (44 from GWS) to pay the points. No dramas. Eat into next year's second if needed

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
This year's first plus next year's first (approx 15 plus 15).

Then they downgrade McStay compo (19) and their second (33) for later picks/points. And use them plus their 3rd (44 from GWS) to pay the points. No dramas. Eat into next year's second if needed

I can't see us getting two firsts. I reckon it'll just be next years first and that's best case scenario.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Brisbane will trade their future first for two picks this year. Not sure with who, could be Gold Coast, GWS, or any number of teams. Clubs always find a way to do these deals when they need to, and they get creative. Just for sake of argument they trade their future 1st for picks 25 and 31 from Gold Coast, that leaves them with the following after McStay's compo, which is likely to be pick 19:

15, 19, 25, 31, 33, 44

They can then trade 15 and 19 to us for Dunkley, perhaps with 29 going back.

They then have:

25, 29, 31, 33, 44 which totals to 2,940 points if my quick addition serves me correct, which is enough points to easily match a bid for Ashcroft and then has some left over for Fletcher too. And they maintain most of their 2023 draft hand.

This is all theoretical, of course, but I think it shows how easily they can and will get this deal done.
Would say in this hypothetical that lions can keep their future 1st because suns want future picks for academy players next year. They can get trade out 1 of their surplus players to a team too to get picks needed.

Apr 22, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I posted it earlier. He did those things absolutely. But he's a slow, blunt instrument, if he didn't do those things he wouldn't be a seen as a good player.

He didn't lay shepherds or blocks for teammates and he rarely gave the ball off to teammates in better positions preferring to blind kick or look for Treloar. Watch Libba or Bont as an example of someone who does this, often forgoing bigger numbers for the betterment of the team.

Then there's the refusal to play roles that were better for the team either forward or pinch hitting in the ruck. Whatever your feelings on these moves Bont and Macrae do so with minimal fuss. When it was Dunkley he's playing it out in the media.

These are not the actions of a player with a team/club mindset. Now that's fine, there's all types and we certainly benefited from his play over the years but to say he gave his all for the club is not true. He gave his all for himself.

One could argue that if Dunkley was sincerely giving his all for the team, he wouldn't have wanted to leave. Twice.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why don’t we just strengthen the backline rather than put the Que in the rack? Our 22 will still be strong through the midfield over the next few years and our fwd line is on a huge trajectory. Would be silly looking to the future now.
I think the problem is who? I just can’t see anyone available that wouldn’t be a massive overpay.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well sure but they still have to satisfy our wants first & foremost, we can force them to deal with us with their high picks because we have the thing they want.

plus in the original hypothetical that started this we were generating the extra end of first rounder by overpaying for Gardiner, in the event of them sending it back. They’d still have 27, 39 (& probably another late pick from us) & their McStay compo to trade to GC and make points easily

Yeah, I just don't see it happening.

Brisbane are in the box seat here as Dunkley has nominated them and he's out of contract. We will no doubt get some of our wants, but not all. We are going to have to compromise somewhere along the way.

We also have to do a trade with Freo too and they might want pick 29/37 used in the deal for Lobb also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back