Trade/Delistings/List Management 2010 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon Football Club has signed emerging youngsters Oliver Tweeddale and Josh Cole under the AFL Scholarship program – a 2006 initiative designed to accelerate the development of young AFL talent in NSW. Tweeddale, a 195cm ruckman originating from the Blue Mountains, is described by Essendon list manager, Adrian Dodoro, as an exciting prospect who will develop into a spine player.

“Oliver is a 15-year-old, tall, athletic-type player who is best suited to the centre-half back or centre-half forward positions at this stage of his development,” Dodoro said.

“We expect to accelerate his development under our guidance over the next two-three years.”

Dodoro describes Cole - who hails from North Shore Football Club and stands at 181cm tall – as a midfielder who has excellent skills, finds the football and is hard at the ball.

“Josh has great potential and, under our guidance, should develop into a quality player," he said.

“He represented NSW at under sixteen level with great distinction this year.

“The great thing also with Cole is that he is a North Shore boy – from our affiliate club – so from that perspective it is a really exciting fit for us.”

The new talent program has been in place for two years and Essendon have signed five scholarship holders during this time. Other signed players include: Ben Simons (his schloarship finishes this year), James Webster and Simon Davies (who now plays at Essendon’s VFL affiliate – the Bendigo Bombers).

“We are determined to make the NSW Scholarship program work at Essendon,” Dodoro said.

“We have put a lot of time and resources into making it an exciting initiative for our club.

“These two new guys are the perfect fit for our club given they are 16 and 15 years of age – it gives us three years to develop them within our program. We see them as two young players with enormous potential who will hopefully go on to play AFL football.

“We will continue to develop our resources and our infrastructure in New South Wales and Merv Keane is doing a magnificent job for the club coordinating our NSW program.

“We think in the years to come, providing the program stays in place, we will be able to nurture a lot more players.”
NSW-Trainees-l.jpg

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=6147

Re: Essendon signs two players under NSW scholarship program

As long as Josh is no relation of Richard I'm happy.

As long as they are not going to be " burnt out "

ie : Palmer ( Dockers ) already has knee / leg problems and he is just 20.
Palmer is taking on the load that others should .They have to manage him better.

NSW-Trainees-l.jpg

the guy in th bottom right doesn't look too happy about it.:p

Maybe he wanted to get drafted under the scholarship program, but was informed that he was a bit too old. ;)

Good to see we're making the most of this important chance to add quality to the list cheaply. These guys will be very important considering the draft restrictions which will be in full force when they are old enough.

Josh Cole got in the best in one game in the U16 state comp. So thats pretty encouraging.:)

These project players never turn out any good but I suppose its an opportunity to add someone to your list in the hope they turn out okay.

It would be good if they kids from the Northern Territory could have a scholarship program with all clubs. Unlimited potential up here and most kids drafted actually go on and play AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These project players never turn out any good but I suppose its an opportunity to add someone to your list in the hope they turn out okay.

It would be good if they kids from the Northern Territory could have a scholarship program with all clubs. Unlimited potential up here and most kids drafted actually go on and play AFL.
couldnt agree more, it takes a speical person for the 'project player' to work. guys like stynes, taidgh kennelly are the exception. the majority of project players end up down the path of the O'Hailpin brothers, Begley and so on. Its hard to see these guys making the grade even with the investment from essendon but i do hope im wrong:)

Craig Bird for Sydney ;)
None of ours have done a lot. Simon Davis played for Bendigo last year but was injured a lot and is short of AFL level.
Expect a few of the scholorship kids to make their mark over the next 3 or 4 years.

Olly is on the left ... Dougie is usually a lot happier than that!(must have been taken at a Bombers game this year;)).

I think you guys don't quite get the program ... you talk about these kids as "project players", but the reality is that many of them (a few exceptions) have been playing footy up here since Auskick ... some of them have played 200 games of junior footy as 15 y.o.'s.!

What they are getting up here is the extra coaching and exposure to the technical game that is missing when you play in a non-traditional centre. The athletic ability is as good, and skills not far off, kids their age from the AFL centres, they just needs some polish ... I have no doubt that the return from the program will be pleasantly surprising to a lot of people when these kids come of age over the next 3 years and beyond.

The whole idea, and a good one, is to show the infidels that they can produce players, and then they will be more likely to embrace the greatest game of all!:cool:

Of course, with the AFL removing funding for the program, who knows what will come of it????:confused:

Craig Bird for Sydney ;)
None of ours have done a lot. Simon Davis played for Bendigo last year but was injured a lot and is short of AFL level.
Expect a few of the scholorship kids to make their mark over the next 3 or 4 years.

Bird was tipped to be drafted and did or nearly made all australian that year.

Olly is on the left ... Dougie is usually a lot happier than that!(must have been taken at a Bombers game this year;)).

I think you guys don't quite get the program ... you talk about these kids as "project players", but the reality is that many of them (a few exceptions) have been playing footy up here since Auskick ... some of them have played 200 games of junior footy as 15 y.o.'s.!

What they are getting up here is the extra coaching and exposure to the technical game that is missing when you play in a non-traditional centre. The athletic ability is as good, and skills not far off, kids their age from the AFL centres, they just needs some polish ... I have no doubt that the return from the program will be pleasantly surprising to a lot of people when these kids come of age over the next 3 years and beyond.

The whole idea, and a good one, is to show the infidels that they can produce players, and then they will be more likely to embrace the greatest game of all!:cool:

Of course, with the AFL removing funding for the program, who knows what will come of it????:confused:

They dont get a lot of extra coaching or exposure to the technical game on the aboriginal communities either.

Any 15 year old is a project player.

You've got to hope for growth in a number of cases, as well as skill development and a rise in general football ability.

That's the case for Victorians, Western Australians etc. and New South Welshmen alike.

We've taken chances on a couple of guys with some good qualities, or in other words, project players.

Leroy Jetta

just a quick question, is Jetta someone we should continue to persevere with, or either trade/delist?

just seems to me that he has not produced at the higher level enough in the past few years. i admit i have not seen much of the bedingo team (none in fact), so i would be happy to hear ffrom others and see what they think????

Re: Leroy Jetta

Last straw for Jetta today. Absolutely pathetic. May as well be playing with a man down. It's so bloody frustrating when you see Quinn out there busting his absolute gut at every contest and then there's Leroy with all the talent in the world yet he feels as though he can run around half paced all day.

See you later Jetta. Just hope you're still worth something...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back