Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

e
No way McKenna is worth more 14 for McKenna and third would be closer.
Prefer to keep him of course
Basically what I said before lol.

If Brisbane want our 2nd then the trade is:
ESS out/BRIS in: McKenna + Pick 29
BRIS out/ESS in: Pick 14 + Pick 41
*Using the points system, this puts McKenna's value between Pick's 19 & 20.

Otherwise in my opinion, they have two options (if the trade involves picks only):
Option 1:
ESS out/BRIS in: McKenna + Pick 47
BRIS out/ESS in: Pick 14
*Using the points system, this puts McKenna's value at Pick 22.

Option 2:
ESS out/BRIS in: McKenna
BRIS out/ESS in: Pick 18

In my view any of those 3 are fair options as McKenna probably would fall somewhere in that 18-25 range if he were in this draft pool.

Why? Who said it was Gleeson filling that hole. Ambrose and Hartley are our main lockdown KPD, McGrath and bags our lockdown smalls, Hurley and Gleeson play off the 3rd and 4th when we have a full complement and win us the ball back.
I'm confused. Are you saying Hurley plays the same role as Lever? And is better at it given AA honors? I assume you aren't saying this because it would be counter intuitive to your ongoing rhetoric thus far.
I do love playing Ambrose, Hartley and Hurley in the one team as you seem to be suggesting...

What is McKenna asking?
762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f.jpg

On a wider basis, Dodoro said to “expect the unexpected” in this year’s trade period, drawing back on the Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis moves from 12 months ago as inspiration.
We don't have anyone in this bracket do we? I hope he's only citing that as something that was unexpected, rather than that a vv contracted player might be moved on for a ^^ Sam Mitchell type trade.

I think the 20 percent increase of the salary cap has meant clubs have kept most of their players, that’s a by-product of the 20 percent. A lot of players that move will be players in contract, which will make it an interesting trade period.
oi. What are you doin'?

Dodoro also confirmed Essendon asked the question of Dustin Martin as a part of their “due diligence,” but opted out of the race for the Tigers superstar “pretty quickly.”
Thank goodness for that. At least we haven't lost all of our marbles.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/01/expect-the-unexpected-says-dons-list-manager/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please not Jarrad McVeigh.
That's exactly the opposite of how I was thinking of it (I thought maybe one our stars might go somewhere, though idk who :S ). What you suggest is more likely, also more upsetting depending on what happens with the other old blokes on our list. If we brought one in and got rid of most of the others aside from Goddard it would be okay I think.

That's exactly the opposite of how I was thinking of it (I thought maybe one our stars might go somewhere, though idk who :S ). What you suggest is more likely, also more upsetting depending on what happens with the other old blokes on our list. If we brought one in and got rid of most of the others aside from Goddard it would be okay I think.
Maybe like for like replacement, Kelly out, McVeigh in. Makes sense to mentor the young players and brings 100 years of finals experience from an excellent club culture, but I think I'd rather we got games into the youngsters and fast track development. Walla, Raz and Parish nod their agreement.

Maybe like for like replacement, Kelly out, McVeigh in. Makes sense to mentor the young players and brings 100 years of finals experience from an excellent club culture, but I think I'd rather we got games into the youngsters and fast track development. Walla, Raz and Parish nod their agreement.
There's something to be said for getting experienced heads from all different clubs as well. Kelly brought Geelong with him, McVeigh would bring Sydney. We already have a bit of Sydney with Bird, but I think McVeigh is probably an upgrade :p What other clubs might we want some experience from (and who might be available from there)?

There's something to be said for getting experienced heads from all different clubs as well. Kelly brought Geelong with him, McVeigh would bring Sydney. We already have a bit of Sydney with Bird, but I think McVeigh is probably an upgrade :p What other clubs might we want some experience from (and who might be available from there)?
Bob Murphy? Matthew Boyd? Luke Hodge? I'd prefer Boyd than Hodge, but that could just be bitterness. If it's players with finals experience you'd want it to be extensive and possibly recent, so Sydney, Geelong, Hawks...

Birchall maybe? Haven't really seen him play this year. Not to many come to mind this year

Bob Murphy? Matthew Boyd? Luke Hodge? I'd prefer Boyd than Hodge, but that could just be bitterness. If it's players with finals experience you'd want it to be extensive and possibly recent, so Sydney, Geelong, Hawks...
Dogs aren't really a traditional grand finalist, so it depends on the player. Probably be better if they have experience with an off-season between back to back finals appearances. I can't see Murphy or Hodge doing a player-coach contract at a club other than their own ones. Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn... What about Adelaide? Might have an in there with Woosha.

Dogs aren't really a traditional grand finalist, so it depends on the player. Probably be better if they have experience with an off-season between back to back finals appearances. I can't see Murphy or Hodge doing a player-coach contract at a club other than their own ones. Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn... What about Adelaide? Might have an in there with Woosha.
Murph and Boyd are experienced campaigners though, five finals series in the last ten years. I can't see any of them playing again, let-alone player-coach, especially Murphy. Who from Adelaide... Thompson?

We don't have anyone in this bracket do we? I hope he's only citing that as something that was unexpected, rather than that a vv contracted player might be moved on for a ^^ Sam Mitchell type trade.

oi. What are you doin'?

Thank goodness for that. At least we haven't lost all of our marbles.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/01/expect-the-unexpected-says-dons-list-manager/
I read that quite differently. I think expect the unexpected is linked with the comment about player movements are more likely to come from contracted players. As in, some players have missed out on the 20% pay increase due to the nature of their contracts, they may not want to wait an extra couple of years for their pay rise, so will seek a trade. This will be unexpected because everyone has been speculating about the free agents and uncontracted players.

I don't think he's commenting on something he knows about, nor anything Essendon specific, rather just speculating how it will play out across the comp.

I read that quite differently. I think expect the unexpected is linked with the comment about player movements are more likely to come from contracted players. As in, some players have missed out on the 20% pay increase due to the nature of their contracts, they may not want to wait an extra couple of years for their pay rise, so will seek a trade. This will be unexpected because everyone has been speculating about the free agents and uncontracted players.

I don't think he's commenting on something he knows about, nor anything Essendon specific, rather just speculating how it will play out across the comp.
North fans still have some hope then.

A frustration I have with our drafting is that we don't stick to winning strategies. We have had much more success with mature-aged rookies than rookies that missed out in the draft, yet we still pick up relatively few each year.

Mature rookies:
Crameri
Howlett
Hibberd (PSD)
Baguley
Ambrose
McDonald-Tipungwuti

Draft age rookies:
Hocking
Bellchambers (PSD)
Jenkins
McKenna (Int.)

Second chance players:

I really hope we look at giving a few state level players a year in the system to see if we can find a few gems this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back