Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps some handshake agreements have already taken place for other midfielders, with essendon recruitment & co keen to stamp out any ideas that they're changing their mind?

Perhaps some handshake agreements have already taken place for other midfielders, with essendon recruitment & co keen to stamp out any ideas that they're changing their mind?

I was thinking the same thing. If players have a verbal agreement with the club the last thing we need in the news is rumours about players that are going to command a heap of cash putting doubt into their minds and making them look at what money they can get elsewhere.

I have no idea why we would release that statement.

I don't see how we achieve anything from it.

Might be for the player and the other clubs benefit?

Strong stance prevents speculation on Beams and extra pressure and also lets brisbane know we arent sniffing around.

How much would an omitted Luke Dunstan cost us in terms of draft pick number?

Big bodied midfielder with some penetration in his leg when given a go late last yesr his last 6-9 rounds were really good in a pure onball position. Has 2 attributes that could really add to our midfield. Whether hes top grade enough im not sure and i wouldnt want to give our 2nd for him this yeat. Maybe the Devon Smith pick?

If he falls out with the club can we grab him with a pick 35-40 id suspect the saints would want pick 30.

Big bodied midfielder with some penetration in his leg when given a go late last yesr his last 6-9 rounds were really good in a pure onball position. Has 2 attributes that could really add to our midfield. Whether hes top grade enough im not sure and i wouldnt want to give our 2nd for him this yeat. Maybe the Devon Smith pick?

If he falls out with the club can we grab him with a pick 35-40 id suspect the saints would want pick 30.

A fall out because he gets dropped once this year?

Poor kick

Terry Wallace on SEN said Dunstan should be worried about being dropped 3 weeks from the end of the season. TW said he rates him an average player that hasnt been what Saints thought he would be. Poor Decision making and kicking TW said.
Sounds like an upgrade on Leverde!

Essendon are big on a bargain (in a good way). Look at our recruits that we target:

Goddard (as a free agent, nothing given up)
Stewart (for a nothing pick)
Even the 3S last year - Yes we gave up our 1st and 2nd round picks, which is a big deal for us, something we never do. But even then, it'd be hard to say we didn't "win" any of those 3 deals.

Wallis > Beams (along with age obviously being a factor), I've no doubt also comes with it the fact that one is a Free Agent and the other would require decent trade currency.

We're cheap. But in a good way.

There has been some scuttlebutt about Shiel and Jack Martin, and then we have been linked to Gaff for years.

I doubt anybody would be able to guess what Dodoro has planned, few could have foreseen last years offseason.

I was thinking the same thing. If players have a verbal agreement with the club the last thing we need in the news is rumours about players that are going to command a heap of cash putting doubt into their minds and making them look at what money they can get elsewhere.

Given the lack of options available i'd say wallis is probably verbally a lock already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terry Wallace on SEN said Dunstan should be worried about being dropped 3 weeks from the end of the season. TW said he rates him an average player that hasnt been what Saints thought he would be. Poor Decision making and kicking TW said.
Sounds like an upgrade on Leverde!

Avg 28 disp, 5 marks, 5 tackles and a goal a game in the last 6 rounds last season and had some good numbers earlier this year. His kicking is his knock just his accuracy but its not horrendously bad.

Hes no world beater but if i can get him for thst pick range id strongly consider it.

Happy to get Wallis just for money. 450k a year ill deal with

If Jack Martin is genuinely gettable would be mad not to have a go. Has talent to burn and will benefit enormously being in a system where he's free to play his own game and isn't expected to carry half the squad on his back.

Wouldn’t most players in Wallis’ position would try to stay at the club they grew up barracking for?
9/10 yes.
But sometimes things aren't playing out at the club as you'd hoped, such as Josh Kennedy. Or you get an offer too good to refuse, such as GAJ.

If Jack Martin is genuinely gettable would be mad not to have a go. Has talent to burn and will benefit enormously being in a system where he's free to play his own game and isn't expected to carry half the squad on his back.

agreed, him or Shai Bolton would fit in nicely into our side as we will lose Green and Colyer whilst Mark Baguley will be lucky to squeeze another season out...

Also you have to think with the rule changes on horizon it would seem to benefit players like Martin and Bolton.

Honestly, out of all of the uncontracted players left, Wallis is the only one that interests me and really only at the right price.
If Wallis i asking for more than 450k then its a hard pass for me.

Jesse Lonergan from the GCS might be worth a flyer if Wallis works out as he is a similar type with a strong pedigree (pick 13 in 2013 or 14 i believe) in a terrible environment

I get that the odd contracted player will pop up around trade time as always, and you ate obliged to take a look, but I am convinced that if we stay with pick 8 a player will fall to us that we dont expect now as happens every year in the draft.
If we missed on Wallis, I'd enquire after Lyons. Would likely only cost a 4th round pick, which we have.

If we missed on Wallis, I'd enquire after Lyons. Would likely only cost a 4th round pick, which we have.
I do like Lyons a lot and thought he was pretty much poised to become their #2 midfielder this year. Even though Dew seems to not want to play him (a contested ball winner in a side that struggles to get the ball), I still don't think they'd want to let him go.

Unfortunately probably doesn't have the same defensive pressure as Wallis, nor can he rest forward as effectively, which would probably make our midfield pretty one paced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back