News Trade "Week" - St Kilda news and announcements only (not rumours)

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll need a clean thread so that people don't have to wade through dozens of pages to keep up to date.

Please continue to use the "trade thoughts" thread for non-St Kilda players, scuttlebutt, and wishful thinking. It's a great thread (other than a few seriously bizarre tangents) ... keep it up!

I'll move/copy posts across if appropriate.

@AFL_CalTwomey: St Kilda has signed American Jason Holmes as an international rookie. 203cm, 104kg player from Kentucky.

Jason Holmes
Club: Moreland State University
D.O.B.: 28.10.89
Height: 203cm
Weight: 104kg
Potential key position player/ruckman from Moreland State University in Kentucky with a multiple sports background in basketball, soccer, American football, baseball and golf. Was introduced to AFL at the USA Combine in April 2013, where his vertical jump scores (standing vertical jump - 78cm, running vertical jump - 91cm) were impressive. Left-footer who looked very natural with the ball by hand and foot.
https://usafl.com/galleries/2013/afl-us-combine/jason-holmes

2012 combine testing (for comparison) :

Standing Vertical Jump (cm)
1 85 Dean Towers Vic
2 83 Jesse Lonergan Tas
3 82 Spencer White Vic
4 80 Eric Wallace USA
5 75 Laine Wilkins WA

Running Vertical Jump Result (cms)
1 100 Spencer White Vic
2 97 Laine Wilkins WA
3 91 Jesse Lonergan Tas
4 89 Jake McKenzie Vic

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-a-leap-of-faith-for-promising-us-hoops-20130930-2uosg.html

Growing up near Chicago, Jason Holmes' older brother would often rib his sibling over why he didn't share as much passion for American football.

Holmes' height - he stands 203 centimetres - and ability as a basketballer, following his father's lead as a star college player, meant that was the sport to which he directed most of his energies. He would go on to play division one college with the Morehead State Eagles in Kentucky.

Holmes' older brother, Andre, is now with the Oakland Raiders in the NFL. ''If this works out for me, I can tell him: 'Yeah, I play football too - but without pads',''

Essendon, St Kilda, the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne ... put Cisco and Holmes through their paces last week.

Kevin Sheehan said Cisco and Holmes had a good chance of being drafted. ''All the numbers suggest they are in the very elite category for anyone over 200 centimetres. We have been testing for nearly 20 years, and they come up in the top percentile, in terms of their overall leaps, their ability to get their hand to the ball first at all stoppages. That would be the key.''

Trade Radio@traderadio 1h
Brad Scott: We think Paul Chapman's a super player but he doesn't really fit what we're after. Nick Dal Santo the senior player we're after

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-07/roos-wait-on-dal-santo
Brad Scott "Our discussions with Nick have been really positive and we'd really like to have Nick at our club. I think Nick is very much in discussions with St Kilda as to what's best for that club ... he wants to do what's best by St Kilda. But we've registered our interest, we really like him, we think he'd fit into our playing group really well."

"We're really keen to help Luke (Delaney) get to his club of choice. We really rate him as a person so we'd like to see him get another go somewhere else."

The Saints believe the Kangaroos are stalling so early in the three-weeks trade period hoping to pick up the classy left-footer as a free agent, with his current club still yet to finalise what’s a complicated final year option of his contract.

"We met with North Melbourne and they reaffirmed their interest, but to this point have not presented a trade position to us, preferring to take him as a free agent only should that be possible. Hence, we didn’t talk much further," St Kilda head of football Chris Pelchen said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/st...-north-melbourne/story-e6frf7jo-1226734322428

The other option open to the Saints is to void Dal Santo’s contract and release (him) under free agency rules.​
The Saints would be almost certain to receive pick No.22 as compensation.​

The Saints would have to do a separate deal for Delaney, potentially risking losing the backman to other interested clubs led by Brisbane and Carlton.

The Roos are adamant their pick No.26 plus Delaney is a well-balanced deal for Dal Santo.

Watters "Nick Dal Santo is a quality player and a quality person (and) could be a two to three-year creative half-back/midfielder and bring enormous value to our footy club. If he is here for another two or three years, we’ve got a quality player still at this club.’’

Watters also envisaged Montagna playing for at least another two years and confirmed that Riewoldt would stay and would receive a contract extension to the end of the 2015 season.

"Absolutely they will be staying, categorically,’’ Watters said, admitting he had long discussions with both.

"Both those players, rightfully so at the latter part of their career, needed some direction where the list and club was going."

Dal Santo has met with the Roos’ leadership group and has told North figures he would be happy to join North Melbourne to help win it a premiership.

The Saints are desperate to rejuvenate the list with more quality young talent but are putting a high premium on Dal Santo due to the crucial role they have slated for him next season.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...r-nick-dal-santo/story-e6frfkp9-1226735032262

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dal-santo-can-be-a-free-agent-20131008-2v6ey.html

The AFL's Ken Wood has considered the Dal Santo situation and concluded that if the player and club are prepared not to re-sign they were comfortable for him to be treated as a free agent.

It is uncertain what compensation St Kilda would receive for Dal Santo, potentially a pick at the end of the second round or after their second-round draft selection.

Given the Saints are also seeking to trade for other players, including young key defender Josh Bruce from Greater Western Sydney, running player Shane Savage from Hawthorn and North's fringe defender Luke Delaney, they are ambitiously attempting to secure more than one draft pick in exchange for Dal Santo.

The Saints have also raised Aaron Mullett as a player they are interested in, but North has ruled him out of trade talks.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...h-nick-dal-santo/story-fnia6oss-1226735645562

St Kilda has set North Melbourne a deadline to clinch a deal for Dal Santo.

The Saints have been happy to explore options, but have grown tired of the stalemate in negotiations.

They believe continuing speculation over one of St Kilda’s favourite sons is unfair to Dal Santo with 15 days remaining in footy’s player trading frenzy.

Pelchen “Nick is a respected member of the Saints player group and as such negotiations around any possible trade will not allowed to drag on. So in fairness to Nick, clarity around North Melbourne’s position will need be determined sooner rather than later.

“We don’t intend to conduct our list management through the media but for the sake of our members and fans I can confirm our position has not changed — any trade involving Nick Dal Santo would have to be acceptable to both Nick and us.”

North Melbourne is determined to secure Dal Santo as a free agent, a move that is expected to hand the Saints pick 22 as compensation.

GWS is asking for pick 21 in exchange for Josh Bruce. The Saints have rejected the demand, believing it is too much for a unproven player.

Bains on Trade Radio:
"It's our point in the cycle, we've come offf success and we're building towards the future. We're in no denial where the list is at"
"We've put a position to NM, they've put a position to us. There is a diff of opinion. We're not pushing blokes out"
"Ultimately, the club has put a position to North, if we can't get in what we feel is an adequate swap, we won't do the deal"
"There's a very big chance (Dal will) still be at St Kilda, no doubt."

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...evoy-to-hawthorn/story-e6frfkp9-1226736693292

Ameet Bains "One of the strategic drivers that we set ourselves coming into the trade period was to finish with three picks inside the top 20, that's the quickest way for us to transition our list."

"We do have some plans in place with effect to getting that extra pick that I can't really share at this point."

"We think there are a few different options by which we might be able to acquire that. There is a long way to go but we think we can do that."

"Leigh Montagna I can say categorically won't be going anywhere."

"Sam (Fisher) is a contracted player and I guess if someone's really interested in him - GWS is the obvious one that's been linked to him - they would make a formal offer, but as it stands there hasn't been much discussion in that respect."

"I'd prefer not to speculate on what we might do with the ruck position except to say we recognise with Ben's departure it does create a short-term issue that we have to address."

"We're in no denial about where the list is at and we need to be quite aggressive and creative to get ourselves back up the top of the ladder."

"History shows in recent years the days of one club having a massive win at the trade table are over and if you want to build and be well positioned in the draft you have to give up something of quality and unfortunately in this case that was Ben."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-10-10/savage-is-a-point-of-difference-bains

“Ben was still contracted to the club and he’s been an enormously loyal person as well,” Bains said. “We do have a lot of faith in Tom Hickey and hence why we pursued him so aggressively last year.”

“I should stress that a deal couldn’t have taken place if both parties hadn’t agreed. I think from his perspective, the challenge of going to a club which is currently at the top of the tree - and the challenges it presents - was something that was attractive as well [for Ben].”

“(Savage) has played in a very strong team and was an emergency for the Grand Final… He’s served a great apprenticeship,” Bains said.

“He provides some outside run, is a very good kick, and we think he can add a point of difference to our midfield and complement the other young players we’ve got coming through… It’s very exciting.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-until-next-week/story-fn69a32t-1226738215441

(Dal's manager Tom Petroro) "There's a chance he could stay, there's also a chance he could move."

"Nick's never gone through the process basically saying one out 'I'm staying at St Kilda or I'm going to North Melbourne'.

"It would have to be a mutual agreement. If that means the best deal is achieved for all parties, then yes (he might become a free agent)."

North is believed to have offered (the) trade of Delaney for a later-round pick should St Kilda release Dal Santo as a free agent.

It's believed the Saints have so far been unwilling to green light that proposal.

"At present North Melbourne is the main club I've spoken to throughout the process. It's obviously been reported throughout the last couple of months that Essendon has some interest."

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2013-10-11/trade-winds-friday-port

Ben McEvoy's crossing from to Hawthorn has ended Port Adelaide's chase for Rhys Stanley.

The Power asked about Stanley on Monday and were told he was off-limits.

"The answer was no - and we'd think it would be a stronger no today that McEvoy is out and they would be looking at Rhys for more ruck-forward roles," Rohde said.

Delaney has nominated St Kilda as his preferred club and if all goes well, he should become a Saint for 2014 and beyond.

“I met with St Kilda and several other clubs just to get an understanding of my position. Scott Watters and the team there were fantastic and honest about where their club is at and how they saw me fitting in.

“It sounded like they genuinely wanted me there and they gave me a really good vibe and understanding of my future, if it was to be with them.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-10-17/luke-delaneys-tough-call

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...man-billy-longer/story-fnahrqwo-1226743039128

St Kilda is set to secure Brisbane Lions ruckman Billy Longer after he told the Lions he wanted to be traded to the Saints.

The Saints are expected to offer their Dal Santo compensation pick (No. 25) for Longer.

St Kilda will in coming days secure Delaney for pick 77.

And while GWS wants Fisher and a draft pick for Bruce, the Saints are baulking at that price.

They aren’t offering Fisher and will secure Bruce in the pre-season draft if GWS does not accept its offer of pick 41.

Pelchen “It is simplistic to say we are trading players (who are experienced). We understand the need to restore some balance to our player list both in terms of age and experience. The changes currently being made are done with consideration to a deliberate strategic plan.’ Our recruiting staff have identified the top 20 as equal to other years. And while all drafts vary to some degree, we have recognised that ours is a list under transition, there the draft represents a great opportunity for us.”

The Saints rate Longer’s ability to play forward — an opportunity denied him in Brisbane — and say playing Longer and Tom Hickey as dual ruckmen would be an exciting prospect.

St Kilda has not ruled out recruiting Jolly even if they acquire Longer, but clearly he would be more of an insurance player.

Josh Bruce's manager, Ben Williams from Players Ink, told AFL.com.au that Bruce was definitely leaving the Giants.

"If the deal doesn't get done, he'll go into the pre-season draft," Williams said.

St Kilda has the third pick in the pre-season draft, with the Giants and Melbourne ahead of them.

But the negotiation appears to have come down to the Giants accepting pick No.41 or losing Bruce via the pre-season draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back