Discussion Traditional Nicknames of VFL teams

Remove this Banner Ad

When did "official" nicknames begin?

Mero
Nicknames were used for clubs as a way of not saying the club name too often in newspaper articles.
As posted above you can only say Collingwood so often before it gets repetitive and boring.
As such they were around from clubs inceptions, however, some were accepted and adopted, and others only referred to by one or two writers.
Essendon were known as the Same Old from about the 1890s, from a song their supporters sang.
They also had a now less politically correct nickname based on their colours.
But they've also been referred to as the Sash Wearers before the 1890s.

In speaking with North's official historian a number of year ago, his understanding of the Shinboners nickname came from the Irish Hurling being played on Arden St on Sundays. The opposition supporters would derisively suggest North's aggressive tactics ( and possibly their lack of skills) were more in line with that game than the footy. So the club took the nickname on as a badge of honour.
In the same way The Swans nickname was first used by journo Hec DeLacy who suggested South Melb. had so many Western Australians in the team they might as well call themselves the Swans. And the name was adopted by the club.

So setting a date on official nickname is difficult.
Most clubs have had the same names as they have now since the mid to late 1960s.
The most recent to change would be StKilda, who were the Seagulls, the the Panthers, and finally the Saints.

What about when Collingwood were called the Collywobbles from 1954 until their 1990 premiership?
West Coast- The Weagles
Fremantle- The Shockers
St.Kilda- One flag Wonders/ Spooners
GWS- The Slummers
GCS- The Chokers
Richmond- The Porpers

Lol ..I could think of many nicknames Essendon have been called in the last 3 years but i will not go their i dont want to get personal...I actually feel sorry for the players i think all of them are innocent victims I cant say the same about your then administration and coaching panel.
Plus we broke the drought with you guys lol..

A little off topic, but Collingwood (est 1892) originally planned to be red, white and blue.

Only problem was the Imperials/tricolours/Footscray (est 1883) already wore those colours.

So black and white it became.

Also, were Fitzroy ever just called the Maroons officially? Or was that just a double up, like the Dogs/Scraggers?

A little off topic, but Collingwood (est 1892) originally planned to be red, white and blue.

Only problem was the Imperials/tricolours/Footscray (est 1883) already wore those colours.

So black and white it became.

Also, were Fitzroy ever just called the Maroons officially? Or was that just a double up, like the Dogs/Scraggers?
Not sure if that's completely accurate.
Collingwood was formed out of the local clubs that played at Victoria Park.
The strongest club in the local comp, which formed some of the playing group and members that became Collingwood were Britannia FC, and they wore Blue & White hoops with a Red sash. However, when Collingwood were formed there was a desire for a new club with no roots in any one other club.
Especially because Britannia had strong ties with Fitzroy.
I understood they adopted the South Australian colours of Black and White, and instead of the Crow, the Magpie, local to Victoria Park, was adopted.

Carlton - Butchers
Collingwood - Magpies (have always been the Magpies)
Essendon - Same Olds
Fitzroy - Maroons, Gorillas
Footscray - Tri-Colours
Geelong - Pivotonians
Hawthorn - Mayblooms
North Melbourne - Shin Boners
Melbourne - Red Legs, Fuschias
Richmond - Wasps
St Kilda - Seagulls
South Melbourne - Bloods
University - Students, Professors
I believe there were a number of other choice names for the magpies, some may be still used, not sure they count as nicknames though.

In the same way The Swans nickname was first used by journo Hec DeLacy who suggested South Melb. had so many Western Australians in the team they might as well call themselves the Swans. And the name was adopted by the club.
An alternative explanation is that the club was named after the swans living on the lake at Albert Park...

Sponsored by Kraft......???

There was a Kraft ad way back when the Krakouer brothers were playing for North showing two kids in opposing footy gear sitting in the stands both having lunch.

This was around the time that the VFL/AFL were themselves advertising "Come and see Black Magic at the MCG this Friday" and that sort of thing.

Can't remember the opposition colours, but the kid in North jumper eyes off the other kid's sandwich and says "I'll swap you a couple of crackers for a bit of your Coon". :confused:
Jesus Christ!

An alternative explanation is that the club was named after the swans living on the lake at Albert Park...
That is a logical guess, but there is no written reference to them ever being called Swans until 1932.
It was at this point club president Archie Croft went on a recruiting drive into WA and offered players jobs in his chain of department stores if they played for South.
In 1933 DeLacy, writing for The Sporting Globe referred to them as The Swans, and after that, cartoonist Alex Gurney From The Herald took up the name and used it in reference to South in that paper.
Prior to the Swans nickname they'd been known as the Blood Stained Angels.

Lol ..I could think of many nicknames Essendon have been called in the last 3 years but i will not go their i dont want to get personal...I actually feel sorry for the players i think all of them are innocent victims I cant say the same about your then administration and coaching panel.
Plus we broke the drought with you guys lol..
Whatever lightens your load.
More Collywobbles history for you:
Jail bait 22's
The Gallahs
The Tattooed Brigade
The Nancy Pants Nancy's

Last edited:
to coincide with the move to Moorabbin?

He's got that wrong too. St Kilda were going to be called St Kilda-Moorabbin when they first moved, before eventually becoming just Moorabbin. The members nixed that pretty quickly.

They did, however, have an ill fated crack at changing their name to the Southern Saints in the mid 80's,

Thanks for that excerpt. Hadn't seen it before. I've read somewhere, possibly "Kill for Collingwood" (generally accepted as an extremely well-researched book) that "Magpies" wasn't official till 1894.

Just because it was used in an article doesn't mean it was instantly official.

I believe there were a number of other choice names for the magpies, some may be still used, not sure they count as nicknames though.

I reckon if I've seen it used on merch it counts as a nickname. Maggies, Pies, Woods and Woodsmen are all names I've seen on various Collingwood items over the years.

That is a logical guess, but there is no written reference to them ever being called Swans until 1932.
It was at this point club president Archie Croft went on a recruiting drive into WA and offered players jobs in his chain of department stores if they played for South.
In 1933 DeLacy, writing for The Sporting Globe referred to them as The Swans, and after that, cartoonist Alex Gurney From The Herald took up the name and used it in reference to South in that paper.
Prior to the Swans nickname they'd been known as the Blood Stained Angels.

This is correct. The swans on the lake had nothing to do whatsoever with the nickname.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was that in reference to? The dwellings around Collingwood?
I actually laughed out loud at that.
No, apartment blocks are a fairly modern development in the housing industry.
It was more to do with the layout of the landscape.
Which brought its own problems with it.

As a low lying, poorly drained region, it was frequently flooded with sewage ... This geography initially led to the club being referred to as the Flatties' or 'Flatites,'

I actually laughed out loud at that.
No, apartment blocks are a fairly modern development in the housing industry.
It was more to do with the layout of the landscape.
Which brought its own problems with it.

As a low lying, poorly drained region, it was frequently flooded with sewage ... This geography initially led to the club being referred to as the Flatties' or 'Flatites,'

Haha, I knew it was a stupid question but couldn't think of where the nickname may have come from. Also I knew apartment buildings weren't around in the late 19th century but thought there may have been other similar kind of housing around (obviously not!)

Thanks for the input Mero, appreciated.

EDIT: Also I did know about the sewage problem, my dad grew up on the other side of Smith St (George St) and my Yaya is still there so I'd picked it up somewhere along the way.

Whatever lightens your load.
More Collywobbles history for you:
Jail bait 22's
The Gallahs
The Tattooed Brigade
The Nancy Pants Nancy's

Lol They must be nicknames that you made up.Collingwood must be your second favourite team?
If you think of it your team are the recent day chockers! ie against north in the final 2014 and against sydney rnd1 2015.
So nancy pants nancy or nancy boys and gallahs best depicts Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back