Training 15.01.09

Remove this Banner Ad

-CG-

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Training was just a fairly light session this morning and went for just under two hours.

On the warm up lap I noticed that Tippett has toned up a bit and is looking in goo nick.

Today's restricted group was quite large and consisted of Hentschel, Maric, Griffin, Armstrong, Dangerfield, Doughty, Burton, McLeod and Douglas. They basically did some light running on the far side of the oval I think, but Burton, McLeod and Douglas did run a lap or two. Douglas was out in front too. Young spent some time on the bikes.

During the main group's warm up kick-to-kick Otten had the pleasure of kicking to Bickley and Donnelly was off on the side and working with another one of the coaches on shorter kicks.

There were only a couple of main drills this morning. The first one went for a fair while and involved one larger group in the centre of the oval and smaller groups on the corners. The players rotated through the groups with the focus being on two players running and leading for the ball at each corner. Some were larger groups then shared the ball down one of the wings before passing it on.

There appeared to be set rotations down the forward end with Gill v Walker, Tippett v Sellar and Symes v McKernan. Each player, besides Symes and McKernan I think, switched the defense player over.

Donnelly's kicking was looking pretty good over a longer distance. The spin of the ball was right but they were a bit up in the air, but nonetheless, he seems to have improved.

I also noticed that Davis is a good kick, he kicks the ball nice and low to the leading player's chest, but also delivered an almost perfect chip kick over the top to Gill.

McKernan, whose nickname is Shauny Mac, appears also to be quite skillful.

Once the broke for a break McKernan and Davis had a shot for goal from 40-50 out in front of everyone. McKernan got his, but I think Davis may have missed because half of the group had to do push ups.

The next main drill was very similar to the first but utilised the whole ground. There were some groups which would just contest the ball one on one before kicking out to another one on one but this group had an emphasis on players supporting ready to clear the ball across the ground to another running group.

Lastly, the group broke up with the majority practicing their goal kicking. Mackay was delivering the ball to Stevens and Tippet, with Stevens as the defender.

Symes and Thompson were kicking to each other and Cook was kicking with Viney and Bickley.

Henderson was getting his kicking style coached on by Jonas and van Berlo also had some one on one time with one of the coaches towards the end.

Throughout the session Reilly was wearing a green guernsey, which had some writing on it. The back said 'Cogito, Facio, Fio' which according to my research is Latin for 'Think it, Do it, Become it'. The front said 'Meliora cogito' which means 'I strive for the best'.

Once the broke for a break McKernan and Davis had a shot for goal from 40-50 out in front of everyone. McKernan got his, but I think Davis may have missed because half of the group had to do push ups.

It was the other way around. Mckernan has his kick first representing half of the squad and narrowly missed. Davis then had his shot and converted. His team roared and gave Davis hi 5's. McKernan and his group had to do some pushups and burpies.

Good write up CG. cheers

I was at todays training session as well. I'll just comment on individual players that I have something to comment on.

Davis - He looks a gem IMO. His skills are awesome. Over the whole session I only saw him mis-kick one pass and it wasn't even that bad. It just fell short of his leading target. If his contested mark is as good as some say we have hit jackpot.

Tippett - Very impressive again. It was just too easy for him when opposed to Sellar (unfortunate in a sense). He looks strong and athletic. He was doing repeat agility tests opposed to Stevens and he gave Stevens a bath.

Sellar - unfortunately he is on of my major question marks. Along with everyone else, I keep searching for positives, but he just doesn't seem to judge the ball in flight and seems to have gradually lost a little bit of agility IMO. The positives are his size and his willingness to work on his game (ie staying back late after each session). Not confident he'll make. I think it will be more of a pleasant surprise to me if he makes it.

Kite - IMO he stood out a bit today. He is fast and athletic but more than that he has good skills and aerial ability to go with it. In one of the drills he kicked a long running goal from 50m out near the boundary. Look forward to his run from defense.

Cook - looks the goods. His body looks in great condition and he has some real explosiveness about his game. His skills looked quite good. Expect him to star in South Adelaide's league side and possibly debut for the crows if he can fight his way in.

Patrenko - he also looks in good nick. Solid unit with good pace. I reckon he is ready to debut if he can get some good form up in NAB cup ur WWT league.

McKernan - looks good. As others have said, he does the occasional shank or dropped mark, but overall quite good. Every now and then he does something really impressive. At one point he got the ball in the centre of the ground and put the after burners on. Sellar tried desperately to chase him from behind but McKernan was too quick he ran to the 50m mark and kicked a long goal. Very impressive. I like him one day to play CHB and Davis CHF.

Walker - Certainly all class. He is ready to go make no mistake. Should play most of the season IMO. Big bodied for an 18 yr old and shows leadership and flair.

Dangerfield - only participated in handballing drills then went to the club rooms.

That should do for now.

To anyone going to training.

Is there work being done on Tippet's leading and general movement? One thing that frustrates me about him is that he tends to stay in one sot and bogged down by the defender. But when he leads for the ball he generally wins it or causes an opportunity for a small forward.

Well done lunacy

and CG once again you have made my day (although all i have done is trained and went back to bed so far). Top work we are all very grateful!

I was at todays training session as well. I'll just comment on individual players that I have something to comment on.

Davis - He looks a gem IMO. His skills are awesome. Over the whole session I only saw him mis-kick one pass and it wasn't even that bad. It just fell short of his leading target. If his contested mark is as good as some say we have hit jackpot.

Tippett - Very impressive again. It was just too easy for him when opposed to Sellar (unfortunate in a sense). He looks strong and athletic. He was doing repeat agility tests opposed to Stevens and he gave Stevens a bath.

Sellar - unfortunately he is on of my major question marks. Along with everyone else, I keep searching for positives, but he just doesn't seem to judge the ball in flight and seems to have gradually lost a little bit of agility IMO. The positives are his size and his willingness to work on his game (ie staying back late after each session). Not confident he'll make. I think it will be more of a pleasant surprise to me if he makes it.

Kite - IMO he stood out a bit today. He is fast and athletic but more than that he has good skills and aerial ability to go with it. In one of the drills he kicked a long running goal from 50m out near the boundary. Look forward to his run from defense.

Cook - looks the goods. His body looks in great condition and he has some real explosiveness about his game. His skills looked quite good. Expect him to star in South Adelaide's league side and possibly debut for the crows if he can fight his way in.

Patrenko - he also looks in good nick. Solid unit with good pace. I reckon he is ready to debut if he can get some good form up in NAB cup ur WWT league.

McKernan - looks good. As others have said, he does the occasional shank or dropped mark, but overall quite good. Every now and then he does something really impressive. At one point he got the ball in the centre of the ground and put the after burners on. Sellar tried desperately to chase him from behind but McKernan was too quick he ran to the 50m mark and kicked a long goal. Very impressive. I like him one day to play CHB and Davis CHF.

Walker - Certainly all class. He is ready to go make no mistake. Should play most of the season IMO. Big bodied for an 18 yr old and shows leadership and flair.

Dangerfield - only participated in handballing drills then went to the club rooms.

That should do for now.

I think he is gone.
given the quality talls we have in our squad now, i cant see where he could possibly play for us.
Unfortunate, given we overlooked the key defender that the power ended up picking up with their 2nd rounder.
Luckily we got Tippet with our second rounder, hopefully he doesnt leave us.

That was a great read, thanks.

CG, you gun, good to hear about McKernan.

Im really also excited about Cook, so hopefully he plays alot of Nab Cup.

Does anyone think Adelaide will play youngsters in the Aboriginal All Stars thingy match? I dont really get whats happening..

Thank you CG and Lunacy, it is much appreciated. I think that is the first time I've seen Latin and AFL football mentioned in the same sentence.

We are all very lucky to barrack for a team with dedicated supporters who do this for us.

Thanks a heap to everyone who goes, or has been.

If they ever have a training session in Melbourne, and i'm not working, and i'm not hung over i'll go!....

'shauny mac' is sounding good, except the nickname. I'd rather S Meezy ;)

We are all very lucky to barrack for a team with dedicated supporters who do this for us.

Thanks a heap to everyone who goes, or has been.

If they ever have a training session in Melbourne, and i'm not working, and i'm not hung over i'll go!....

'shauny mac' is sounding good, except the nickname. I'd rather S Meezy ;)
It should be SMACK!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was down there today myself. I did take some photos with my crappy camera but I don't imagine many, if any, of them worked out. I won't know until I get back home tonight and plug it in to the computer, but if any are good I'll put them up.

Random thoughts as they come to me...

Johncock, while no specimen of athleticism, is looking fine and participated in all the main drills today. As awesome a photo as that Drummond shot was, I think we can put to bed any concerns about Johncock. He looked fine and was all smiles today.

Burton, on the other hand, is still specimen of athleticism. HIs body looks like it was carved from marble and he is running fairly freely. I had a chance to chat to the guy I know down there today and he said almost all the guys from surgery (barring McLeod) should be back to normal within a fortnight. This list includes Maric, Douglas, Hentschel and Burton. On Dangerfield, who was only out for half the sessions and didn't participate with the main group at all, he said he wasn't sure what the issue was but that obviously the whiplash was still giving him troubles. Hope he makes it back soon! Young spent most of the session on the bike. Apparently each player has a standard they are required to meet on the bikes and presumably Young hasn't met it. He must be the only one since nobody else used the bikes. I guess he's working towards it.

Today was an extremely light session. Apparently Monday and Tuesday's sessions were quite physical - to the point where to avoid the heat, the club had intended to start the Tuesday session very early in the morning (before sunrise even) but the players put the kibosh on that after a really hard monday session. Today's light session was a chance for them to recover before next week, which is the fortnight to really impress the club as they are taking 40 people up to Darwin. Wouldn't want to be one of the five not taken - though I am tentatively guessing that five is made up of McLeod plus our four rookies... though I guess there are five rookies if you count Donnelly. Even so, during the match there will be a twelve-man bench (extended to help with the heat), so the 40 will be trimmed to a squad of 30. Apparently all the aboriginal players will go down at the start of February and go to local communities, the rest of the players will go up on thursday.

It might just be my imagination, but McKernan already appears to be filling out in the middle somewhat. When I saw him a while ago he looked like one of those concave mirrors (or is that convex) with his broad shoulders, strong legs, and miniscule waist.

One thing I loved seeing at the session was that the young guys, even more than most of the senior players, use their voice all the time. Sloane (incidently, Sloane has a brilliant kick on him, I don't think he wasted one pass today) in particular is great with it, always yelling out nicknames or yelling back congrats when a good pass is sent to him. McKernan certainly has come out of his shell too in that regard, and of course Walker is constantly heard over the top of everyone else with a rough throaty booming voice. Davis seemed to say alot as well, though I must admit I had serious trouble telling the difference between Henderson and Davis, which probably says more about me than it does about them :eek:

Later on in the session, I and another Bigfooty-ite (van963 I believe) shot around behind the goals while there was goalkicking practise going on. There seemed to be a whole mob of teenage boys and girls (mostly girls) that would mob the players whenever they finished training and ask for autographs, it was quite comical to see a player get trapped in by six little girls half their height and be asked to pose individually with each one for a photo :D The goalkicking standard seemed to be quite good (I was mostly just counting goals as opposed to watching specific players) though the checkside from the boundary rarely came off.

Mostly though it was a very light session with little to report. The usual suspects looked good, with Mackay very classy, Porps alternating between doing laps and participating with the group, and a small group doing handball drills. Jacky or Petrenko (I can't even tell the different up close anymore!) looked very good, using their speed to break away from opponents.

At the end of the session Sellar didn't seem to be sticking around late for the first time, though perhaps I just missed him. Stevens stuck around late to train with Tippett, they were mostly just doing sprints (from the point post to the first goal post and back, then to the second goal post and back, then to the other point post and back) and kicking practise. Ben Hart did laps with Maric, who seems to be moving fine. I don't even recall what his surgery was but he's progressing as expected apparently.

That's all. If any of my photos come out looking half-decent I'll chuck them up later on!

Burton, on the other hand, is still specimen of athleticism. HIs body looks like it was carved from marble and he is running fairly freely. I had a chance to chat to the guy I know down there today and he said almost all the guys from surgery (barring McLeod) should be back to normal within a fortnight. This list includes Maric, Douglas, Hentschel and Burton. On Dangerfield, who was only out for half the sessions and didn't participate with the main group at all, he said he wasn't sure what the issue was but that obviously the whiplash was still giving him troubles. Hope he makes it back soon! Young spent most of the session on the bike. Apparently each player has a standard they are required to meet on the bikes and presumably Young hasn't met it. He must be the only one since nobody else used the bikes. I guess he's working towards it.

And McLeod may only be 3 weeks away.

http://www.afc.com.au/tabid/4417/Default.aspx?newsid=71274

Thanks heaps to the verious report posters.

I had my alarm set to go but all the ice coffee i drank yesterday meant i didn't get to sleep till bout 3 30.

I think im doomed to never see a training in person

I went today - although I was barely concentrating because my friends and I were too busy talking so I can't give as good or even as detailed as the others but I noticed at the very end of the session - when all the other players were going back to the clubrooms - a small group, which consisted of Mackay, Vince and a few others, did a couple of laps around the whole stadium + crows shed carpark. And Hentschel and Maric ran around Max Basheer so many times that I lost count. Does Maric have some sort of "serious" injury or something?? Because the sessions I've been to he never seems to be training with the main group and usually just runs laps. :confused:
Also adding to cmndstab said about Tuesday's heat - I was talking to Symes afterwards and he said it was absolutely HORRIBLE training on Tuesday and couldn't have been more relieved to know the cool change came through so today's session was cooler.

hey guys, does anyone know why hentschell didn't train?? is it a precaution or is there an injury?

Assuming this isn't a joke ("What?! When did Hentschel get injured?!" :eek:) - it's still the knee injury. He's had a slight niggle but basically he's still going alright. The true test won't begin until the season, however.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back