Training Training Reports, Pics 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

You kidding? I wish I'd thought of that line...

I'm like the guy fishing next to John West.
Got another gag you can use. Couldn't quite get it right. I'll put it with the rest.

Observations from yesterday's training:

SPS - I had a few question marks just like a lot of others before the draft, however after seeing him at training yesterday, I have no doubt this kid will be a superstar. And not because of his obvious talent and sublime skills. This kid has the right attitude. You could see the intensity in everything he did. He did evry little thing at full tilt, when most others were not. I would expect him to play most games this year and a big chance of rising star.

Pickett - very disappointing for mine. I'm not too sure how much work he has missed because of his foot, but that shouldn't have stopped him from at least having conditioning in his upper body. He presented the worst out of every player out there. And you only had to look at the difference in attitude between him and SPS to understand why as a number 4 draft pick he has yet to debut. I understand he's had injuries but still. I hope I am proved wrong, but unless the penny drops with him I don't think he'll be seeing much senior footy this year.

Fisher - this kid is absolutely tiny. I understand he played a bit of WAFL last year, but I think it might be a while before he sees any senior action. Skills were ok, but not as polished for mine, as some others have said on here. Appeared to also have an excellent attitude though and a keenness to learn. Has potnetial but is a fair way off.

As other others have mentioned, McKay looked in great nick, as too C Curnow and Jack. It was no surprise to see Kreuzer first out on the track by quite some way.

Training Notes - Friday 16th

Everyone looking really good - Gibbs, Phillips and young Bradley stood out (appears to be with the club full time this pre-season). Jake looks balanced and quick, moves with an air that suggests he belongs. If he has a better year, I expect us to pick him up in 2017.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...is Jake the only academy/non-list player training with the rest of them? Is he taking part in everything?
Am I a little bit excited?

Like Pumpy, I made the journey up to Olsen Ave, but unlike Pumpy, I sat inside having a few cool drinks & some hot chips while watching the action. Was greeted by Ed & Simmo as my wife & I walked in the front door.

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of Carlton supporters present. A good turn out for a training run pre-Christmas.

As described by Pumpy, much of the time was spent with the players in 4 separate groups doing various drills, which made it very difficult to keep an eye on all involved..

What stood out for me was the improvement in skills compared to anything I have seen at training sessions in the last 5 years or so. The ball spent a lot less time on the ground than I have been used to.

Some of my impressions:
SPS: will be in the team for Round 1. He oozes class & confidence & looks like an AFL player.
Pickett: been in a good paddock, has some work to do to get to an AFL fitness level. Moved alright & doesn't seem to be showing any ill effects from his foot injury.
Casboult & Jones have both worked on their ball drop. A lot more control of the ball from hand to foot. Levi was still missing a few shots on goal though.
H-Mac: moved so freely & looked extremely mobile. He has one of the most pure goalkicking actions I have seen. He & Levi spent a fair bit of time at the end of training taking shots on goal & McKay was nailing them all.
Cuningham: looked good. Moving really well & I reckon he has added a yard of pace.
Polson: strikes me as already having AFL level fitness & could be a surprise packet next season.
Thomas: looked cherry ripe. Running freely & his kicking was predominantly accurate over 40 metres.
Sheehan: was delivering bullets with his left leg. Dare I say he has a more penetrating kick than Tuohy.
Rowe: spent a fair bit of time doing boxing drills on the boundary. I couldn't help noticing he has huge guns. No-one else seems to have a similar size about them. He will still be a very important part of our defence in 2017, playing on the stronger opposition forwards.
Palmer: I am quickly warming to this bloke. His left foot is so reliable & when he tackles, he tackles with intent. He will be an important part of our team in 2017.

Overall, there wasn't too much given away in relation to what is up our sleeve in 2017, but it is certainly pleasing seeing an improved skill level. It is so obvious that SOS has made this a key criteria when drafting kids over the last 2 years.

Finally, kudos to those players who went out of their way to sign the autograph book belonging to a 4-5 year old girl standing near the entry to the ground. She was unable to get close enough to the gate because of older kids & adults, but once a couple of players spotted her hanging on the fence waving her autograph book, a queue of players formed, waiting to sign the book. She probably ended up with more autographs than those who had pushed in front of her.

Legend mediumsizered :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KJ at sundays open training session did appear to have toned up significantly[they can pump up up and down like ballons lol]..i dont think he will ever make a huge impact -->however he just may be able to lift his standard enough ,he probably has the consistency,either way it will probably be close down the track.

Many thanks for your report and those of others. As to your comments on KJ we all have the evidence of Pumpy's first video to witness his intensity in training. Or lack of it. He stopped to a walk every time he got back to the start and always took off flat-footed. Cf any other player but particularly Phillips and his lack of effort to try and get the most out of the session was telling IMO.

I hope BB uses the video to show KJ what he is not doing.

KJ at sundays open training session did appear to have toned up significantly[they can pump up up and down like ballons lol]..i dont think he will ever make a huge impact -->however he just may be able to lift his standard enough ,he probably has the consistency,either way it will probably be close down the track.

Was a very moble session today with running onto low flat ball passing ,and a tackling session with some very solid tackles[graham dumped Lamb on the deck],a lot of set play positional setups as well.....Agreed that the ball efficiency was way up to previous years and all the coaches were working really well in a good way.

Weitering has bulked up,has legs like tree stumps and looks fit...and very very strong
Plowman also i think he will make top 5 at club ,he means business
SPS mature for his age and composed...moves well
Charlie as fit as and stronger than last year..
Pickett moves well,still recovering fitness..
Harry would have set his sights on some games next year after plenty of training.

There are a lot of positives this time around and it will be an interesting year...

SPS - I had a few question marks just like a lot of others before the draft, however after seeing him at training yesterday, I have no doubt this kid will be a superstar. And not because of his obvious talent and sublime skills. This kid has the right attitude. You could see the intensity in everything he did. He did evry little thing at full tilt, when most others were not. I would expect him to play most games this year and a big chance of rising star.

Pickett - very disappointing for mine. I'm not too sure how much work he has missed because of his foot, but that shouldn't have stopped him from at least having conditioning in his upper body. He presented the worst out of every player out there. And you only had to look at the difference in attitude between him and SPS to understand why as a number 4 draft pick he has yet to debut. I understand he's had injuries but still. I hope I am proved wrong, but unless the penny drops with him I don't think he'll be seeing much senior footy this year.

Fisher - this kid is absolutely tiny. I understand he played a bit of WAFL last year, but I think it might be a while before he sees any senior action. Skills were ok, but not as polished for mine, as some others have said on here. Appeared to also have an excellent attitude though and a keenness to learn. Has potnetial but is a fair way off.

As other others have mentioned, McKay looked in great nick, as too C Curnow and Jack. It was no surprise to see Kreuzer first out on the track by quite some way.

Thanks guys! :thumbsu:

Doesn't Docherty speak well?
Better than most coaches for me.

Just so clear, focused and answers the questions presented, using just the right amount of honesty and holds back just enough, when needed.
Long career in the AFL, it seems.

He's my choice for next Captain. :handok:

What has Pickett been doing so far, report above mentions bad conditioning, how much extra is he carrying??

He's my choice for next Captain. :handok:

Me too, Aph.

I think Docherty's leadership credentials really took off after he chatted to Chalky Blues and I at the beginning of the season.

I mean if can he manage to navigate a conversation with us two numbskulls, he's perfectly qualified to deal with the football media.... ;)

Last edited:
Doesn't Docherty speak well?
Better than most coaches for me.

Just so clear, focused and answers the questions presented, using just the right amount of honesty and holds back just enough, when needed.
Long career in the AFL, it seems.

Definitely our future captain.

Seems like a guy who would have no problem demanding high standards from his teammates as well and lead from the front on and off the field ala Hodge...but can still share a laugh etc

And as you say, speaks really well and confidently to the media.

To be fair on Pickett, an injured foot means he can't do any running...which would impact his upper body as the goal isn't to just get ripped, it needs to be proportionate and lean muscle.

I think someone else said he's lost over 7 kg's in a relatively short space of time.

To be fair on Pickett, an injured foot means he can't do any running...which would impact his upper body as the goal isn't to just get ripped, it needs to be proportionate and lean muscle.

I think someone else said he's lost over 7 kg's in a relatively short space of time.

Yeah I agree somewhat, but you could also just see it in his attitude. And if he has lost 7kgs, the fact he had an extra 7kgs on top of what he is now, somewhat proves my point. There are plenty of other ways to stay conditioned even if you can't run. As I said, I hope I'm proven wrong, but I just think there needs to be a major attitude adjustment there.

Yeah I agree somewhat, but you could also just see it in his attitude. And if he has lost 7kgs, the fact he had an extra 7kgs on top of what he is now, somewhat proves my point. There are plenty of other ways to stay conditioned even if you can't run. As I said, I hope I'm proven wrong, but I just think there needs to be a major attitude adjustment there.

You've seen one training session and reckon a bloke coming back from injury needs a "major attitude adjustment"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back