Training with clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking about the mid-season draft element. Having pick 1 will usually be pretty valuable.

OK. Very true, in the mid-season the bottom 4 or so clubs should be likely to pick up an instant AFL quality player.

The non-drafted, training with clubs rule is totally different. It'll be interesting to see how it all goes. A smart club might be able to make good use of these new rules to 1) find valuable players with issues that can be sorted out in the AFL environment, and/or 2) get an immediate injection of quality for almost no cost.

OK. Very true, in the mid-season the bottom 4 or so clubs should be likely to pick up an instant AFL quality player.

The non-drafted, training with clubs rule is totally different. It'll be interesting to see how it all goes. A smart club might be able to make good use of these new rules to 1) find valuable players with issues that can be sorted out in the AFL environment, and/or 2) get an immediate injection of quality for almost no cost.

I like the Tigers' use of it. It's smart, and an approach I hadn't thought of.

I like the Tigers' use of it. It's smart, and an approach I hadn't thought of.

Only way to use it that makes sense to me. Downside for the club is a few thousand $, and some coaching effort. But you don't have to take the guy onto the list. So surely you would only use it for players that are highly talented problem children, to see if you can straighten them out.

Only way to use it that makes sense to me. Downside for the club is a few thousand $, and some coaching effort. But you don't have to take the guy onto the list. So surely you would only use it for players that are highly talented problem children, to see if you can straighten them out.

The other way to use it is to jump the draft queue for formerly listed players. As many clubs did.

Don't mind the rule change. They have to have been in the draft and not picked up. So clubs reckon there's something not right about them - talent, attitude, background etc.

The club and the player then sign up for a trial effectively. A few months later the club can pull the trigger - or not. So for Stack, he's got a few months living with Dimma (and therefore Dan Rioli) and full on AFL training to show off he's worth the risk. It might just short circuit a few guys going down the dodgy lane of life. Club hasn't got much to lose - few $. And the player has a heap to gain. No one really loses.
Rule is really ripe for rorting, I reckon.

The other way to use it is to jump the draft queue for formerly listed players. As many clubs did.

Of course, you're right. That is a different logic. The club and player agree that he doesn't go into the draft and pick him up after it's all over. I guess that way the player goes where they want and the club can plan ahead.

it'll be interesting to see if some players take a year's break and use that rule to get where they want. It could help force trades. Although occasionally players take a year off currently. Hmm. Interesting times - well interesting every 12 months for a day or two. :)

Rule is really ripe for rorting, I reckon.

How so? Only if a player takes a year off and then goes directly to another club. But they have to pay the penalty of a year off.

Otherwise it's only after the player hasn't been picked up by everyone multiple times.

How so? Only if a player takes a year off and then goes directly to another club. But they have to pay the penalty of a year off.

Otherwise it's only after the player hasn't been picked up by everyone multiple times.
Darling, writ large.

The rule should help the bottom clubs. First choice from the state leagues should get someone having a breakout season that would have gone top 50 in the draft the following November.
You've just sold me on the mid-season draft!

Everyone keeps saying bottom clubs need to bring in more ready to go talent rather than stockpiling 18yo's for years, this could be the mechanism to help that happen and make the league more competitive.

You've just sold me on the mid-season draft!

Everyone keeps saying bottom clubs need to bring in more ready to go talent rather than stockpiling 18yo's for years, this could be the mechanism to help that happen and make the league more competitive.

It's definitely an equalisation mechanism IMO.

It's interesting having a look at each club's list to see if they have 44 (full) or less (to be able to sign players preseason or in the mid-year draft without needing a retirement on an LTI).

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2019

So assuming the list is correct then Freo would have to have a retirement or a LTI to be able to pick someone up in the mid-year draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back