Trash Talking in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Looney

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ed Langdon trashing Collingwood actually made for great entertainment. Everybody loved it. So why can't we have a designated person from each team to trash their opposition teams they are about to play via media or twitter. A bit like boxing or UFC. How entertaining would that be?

Ed Langdon trashing Collingwood actually made for great entertainment. Everybody loved it. So why can't we have a designated person from each team to trash their opposition teams they are about to play via media or twitter. A bit like boxing or UFC. How entertaining would that be?

I loved it, like I loved Jack Silvagni sledging Jason Horne-Francis about North Melbourne on field, and JH-F firing back.

Would love to see more of it tbh

Sicily and Greene should be sole captains for their clubs. That’ll help

But that means revealing what happens within the 4 walls and inviting outside noise. You know football clubs don't care about what happens outside of the 4 walls.

More like annoying Vanilla types in the media like Slobbo, Kingy and Dork Nerd Whatley would find more reasons to be outraged, in this instance being outraged that their annoying opinions are being overshadowed by some fun and harmless player banter.

I don't think it's a case of being WOKE with regards to those media blokes either (esp Slobbo who is halfway becoming an QANON nut) but more that these garbage think they are pillars of the AFL community and think their opinions on many current issues matter.

More like annoying Vanilla types in the media like Slobbo, Kingy and Dork Nerd Whatley would find more reasons to be outraged, in this instance being outraged that their annoying opinions are being overshadowed by some fun and harmless player banter.

I don't think it's a case of being WOKE with regards to those media blokes either (esp Slobbo who is halfway becoming an QANON nut) but more that these garbage think they are pillars of the AFL community and think their opinions on many current issues matter.

Haven’t both of them literally said they like this sort of stuff

Their literal job is to GIVE opinion otherwise the entire premise of 3 hours of prime time football discussion is just an ordered regurgitation of what happened.

What should they do, open the show with ‘we don’t have anything to say about what happened over the weekend so we aren’t going to speak’?

King is the one who actually makes out like he’s got a moral standpoint on all these issues. The other two show a visible enjoyment for the actual stories of the game rather than the minutiae of it.

I get the impression that because one of them looks slightly odd and the other talks like a bloke at the pub that people just write off what they’re saying before they’ve even said it.

Last edited:

I haven't once heard the likes of Whateley or King have an issue with this. They get outraged about stuff like player welfare and the Adelaide camp, but could not GAF about trash talk.

Jack Riewoldt was s**t talking the North cheersquad in the North vs Richmond game. It was pretty funny. I reckon more players should get into it with the crowd for the sake of theatre.

Jack Riewoldt was s**t talking the North cheersquad in the North vs Richmond game. It was pretty funny. I reckon more players should get into it with the crowd for the sake of theatre.

How good was this? :)

images

Also apparently running into goal, Tony Lockett used to target loud mouth opposition Cheer squad members who gave him lip with a lethal hard short kick !

How good was this? :)

images

Also apparently running into goal, Tony Lockett used to target loud mouth opposition Cheer squad members who gave him lip with a lethal hard short kick !

O'Loughlin as well
71830322.jpg

Essendon to bring Mark Baguley out of retirement?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need more of it. I was gobsmacked about how people reacted to the Parker & Bolton situations. We don’t want the game to die like cricket did. Players/coaches are becoming robots, listen to every post match interview it’s the same thing over and over again.

Lynch for us would be great to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did enjoy big Cox giving it to Tom McCartin down 4 goals.

Joint pressers during the week would be great like a UFC/Boxing weigh-in. Certainly added a bit of spice to the Demons/Magpies game last week and was all in good sport (it wasn't sledging per se).

It's not even that they think their opinions matter, it's they need to have an opinion for fear of not being relevant.

It's why we have the likes of BT sooking about how clubs choose to honour their players, Cornes having a (critical) opinion on everything (except Hinkley, who is a champion coach and not his fault he had a 0-5 start), King on everything etc.

If they don't have an opinion, come June if they simply say ah well fairly average round of footy, few good games but nothing major to change the season outcome, then they'll be fearing for their jobs come September.

Contrived trash talking on top of contrived blokiness and contrived nicknames, no thanks.

What WOULD be fun is more uncensored mic'd up stuff like what the NHL allow. That would have value. But the AFL are too tight-arsed.

Yeah we don't need "designated" trash talking. Just guys who aren't pressured by the media team to toe the line and say "North have been playing some good footy so we will have to be on our toes this week" as North enter the game with 8 50 point losses in a row.

Just let guys like Aka of old, and now Cox, Langdon etc answer.

I loved the drama of Langdon mouthing and the Pies targetting him. Can't say it doesn't add to the game or entertainment.

Having said that, I do get irked by the unsportsmanlike field things. The old rubbing hair, Devon Smith retirement will half the number of times a s**t player ruffles an opponents hair after a "5 meter zone 50". Even Pickett screaming in Newnes face. Reckon those moments are a bit unsportsmanlike especially when the contest is over/won, just celebrate with your teammates, but prior to the game a bit of slander and chest beating is great.

It's not even that they think their opinions matter, it's they need to have an opinion for fear of not being relevant.

It's why we have the likes of BT sooking about how clubs choose to honour their players, Cornes having a (critical) opinion on everything (except Hinkley, who is a champion coach and not his fault he had a 0-5 start), King on everything etc.

If they don't have an opinion, come June if they simply say ah well fairly average round of footy, few good games but nothing major to change the season outcome, then they'll be fearing for their jobs come September.
I don't think they even believe most of their 'opinions'. Its all about provided content. Must have content.
And the more clicky it is, the better.
I noticed in some of the non-on every panel show media people, each year once or maybe twice they will tweet out or whatever something controversial, or a hot take, etc. I can just see their editor telling them they need their clicks up, or its standard business practice.
There really is no reason to consume most of the media. Any worthwhile news gets onto BF anyway almost immediately. :)

Because people can and will cry!

Imagine Michael’s sledge to Brett Voss was said in today’s environment. We’d have snowflakes all over the internet having a breakdown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back